Is there a documented NOS Preamp Tube Tone Chart?

AdamBomb80

I may have seen one before but can't remember where or if I even really saw a NOS Preamp Tube Tone Chart. I know that there is a couple new production tube charts, but has anyone made one for all the discontinued NOS preamp tubes? Thanks

AdamBomb80

What type of information do you envision this NOS tube tone chart having?

Guess that means no. Well it would be great to have a "quick reference guide" for tone characteristics that are most obvious to popular 12ax7, 5751, U7, T7's of tubes that are NOS. I've looked Are you saying there is not any documented notes or charts of NOS audio tubes? We have one for all the new production tubes why not NOS. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Found a good source from Tubekings Guide to NOS and Vintage Audio Tubes.http://www.ebay.com/gds/The-Tubekings-Guide-to-NOS-and-Vintage-Audio-Tubes-/10000000017053944/g.html

Blue Strat

Do you mean someone's subjective analysis of tonal differences between different models/manufacturers of the same tube type, eg. 12AX7s?

AdamBomb80

Do you mean someone's subjective analysis of tonal differences between different models/manufacturers of the same tube type, eg. 12AX7s?

Exactly! lol. why not. Everything about everything in music and tone is subjective pretty much. Was just asking for a reference, don't need the trust your subjective ears speech thats on every page and post on TGP.

The TubeKing Guide is about the coolest I've found and is in close proximity with my subjective ears.

Blue Strat

Exactly! lol. why not. Everything about everything in music and tone is subjective pretty much. Was just asking for a reference, don't need the trust your subjective ears speech thats on every page and post on TGP.

The TubeKing Guide is about the coolest I've found and is in close proximity with my subjective ears.

I know my experience is limited (31000 orders) but I haven't seen any great consistency in how people perceive differences in tubes or the adjectives (none of which are defined) they use to describe tone. Just sayin'.

Tone Meister

Guess that means no. Well it would be great to have a "quick reference guide" for tone characteristics that are most obvious to popular 12ax7, 5751, U7, T7's of tubes that are NOS. I've looked Are you saying there is not any documented notes or charts of NOS audio tubes? We have one for all the new production tubes why not NOS. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Found a good source from Tubekings Guide to NOS and Vintage Audio Tubes.http://www.ebay.com/gds/The-Tubekings-Guide-to-NOS-and-Vintage-Audio-Tubes-/10000000017053944/g.html

What type of information do you envision this NOS tube tone chart having?

I'm trying to understand how you gleaned "no" from my reply. And not even Blue Strat or Timbre Wolf have tried every preamp tube type/brand in every conceivable circuit, I perceive.

AdamBomb80

you guys win lol. Was simply seeing what the simple man had to recommend for a some kind of reference pages or comparisons for NOS and older vintage tubes. Found several after many hours. Yea have bought a few tubes from Blue Strat, all quality stuff.

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
I think you could save time and effort by re-purposing the programming code for creating what were called "mad libs", instead of assembling some kind of list.

That way the user could input the relevant details (tube type, make, date, amp type, speaker, player's attitude, etc) --- all of which the software would ignore. The code would then access a database of fluffy, meaningless subjective adjectives and then pseudo-randomly assemble them for output to the user as a 'tone descriptor'.

Timbre Wolf

>thermionic<
Platinum Supporting Member
Exactly! lol. why not.
:roll

Why not, indeed! I always appreciate hearing other players' perspectives on tube character (and everything else), and I don't shy away from interest in others's subjective experiences in general; I quite enjoy them!

In that spirit, here's a chart I developed to help myself, many years ago. Note that it is only a beginning - and not nearly complete by any means. I was trying to come to terms with the differences I was hearing, and this helped me immensely. I've offered it here at TGP in the past, and do so now as a way to help inspire others to pursue their own interests, and perhaps foster constructive conversations on the topic:

12AX7SonicComparisons-1.jpg

And not even Blue Strat or Timbre Wolf have tried every preamp tube type/brand in every conceivable circuit, I perceive.
Definitely not - there are many variants of 12AX7, for instance, that I have yet to audition. For instance, if anyone wants to send me a Telefunken ECC803S to try, I promise to publish my subjective impressions here.

- Thom

Blue Strat

Why not, indeed! I always appreciate hearing other players' perspectives on tube character (and everything else), and I don't shy away from interest in others's subjective experiences in general; I quite enjoy them!

In that spirit, here's a chart I developed to help myself, many years ago. Note that it is only a beginning - and not nearly complete by any means. I was trying to come to terms with the differences I was hearing, and this helped me immensely. I've offered it here at TGP in the past, and do so now as a way to help inspire others to pursue their own interests, and perhaps foster constructive conversations on the topic:

Definitely not - there are many variants of 12AX7, for instance, that I have yet to audition. For instance, if anyone wants to send me a Telefunken ECC803S to try, I promise to publish my subjective impressions here.

- Thom

You're missing some key information (assuming that the adjectives you would use would align with everyone else's interpretation of the same, undefined, adjectives...which itself is a stretch) including your ideal tone, guitar, pickups, speakers, etc. IOW, I'm sure that you believe that this is useful information, but I'm highly skeptical. Case in point: You can't believe how many times customers have had different reactions to web reviews of certain tubes (and sometimes gave me grief because of it). :) Just sayin'.

It should be obvious that I have nothing to gain by either pretending we can describe/convey tone in any realistic way, or not... apart from not over promising something that shouldn't/can't be promised.

Timbre Wolf

>thermionic<
Platinum Supporting Member
You're missing some key information (assuming that the adjectives you would use would align with everyone else's interpretation of the same, undefined, adjectives...which itself is a stretch) including your ideal tone, guitar, pickups, speakers, etc. IOW, I'm sure that you believe that this is useful information, but I'm highly skeptical. Case in point: You can't believe how many times customers have had different reactions to web reviews of certain tubes (and sometimes gave me grief because of it). :) Just sayin'.

It should be obvious that I have nothing to gain by either pretending we can describe/convey tone in any realistic way, or not... apart from not over promising something that shouldn't/can't be promised.
Many, many players have appreciated and welcomed my descriptions of tube character over the years, and have become more satisfied with their gear and playing because of it. So I continue to try my best, for their sakes - without ever holding the intention of giving you personal grief.

- T

Blue Strat

Many, many players have appreciated and welcomed my descriptions of tube character over the years, and have become more satisfied with their gear and playing because of it. So I continue to try my best, for their sakes - without ever holding the intention of giving you personal grief.

- T
My personal grief was mentioned only as an indicator that web reviews, not just your own, are far from fool proof. :)

AdamBomb80

- Thom

Thanks for posting your chart Timbre Wolf. I'm sure there are a few tube characteristics we can somewhat agree on. Like the RFT's having early breakup, have never heard anyone disagree or say they have late breakup. I've seen many tube guru members give their tonal opinions on tubes in other threads and even question the opposing opinions of another persons tube tone experience, and I think it's a waste of time. You take what you can get out of these forums and leave the rest, everything don't always need to be a debate when people ask for tone descriptions, cause thats why (or I know some come to share and learn) I come to TGP to share and learn from others.

But all "debaters" aside..lol(flame on). What if like 20 tube gurus made a chart like Timbre Wolfe... would many just want to debate the validity of opinion, or would some think it would actually be fun to do even for themselves as a really rough reference...? Might help others a little and maybe a hair easier for the tube newb to choose the right tubes. But yea I know theres no way this would work as too many would get their little panties in a wad.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom