Is there a dual expression pedal that allows switchable inputs?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kenoflife, Feb 15, 2019.

1. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

I'm looking for something where I can switch off the inputs (or maybe also do both together) - so I can have an input in from each expression jack of my Morningstar.

That would allow me to easily switch from using one as a volume pedal parameter w/ Condor, and the other for a sweep effect for the Meris's.

Would be awesome if it was simple. Maybe I adapt one w/ a footswitch at the end, like a wah pedal would have - to go from one to the other?

FbIsNotE likes this.
  2. jquanmusic

jquanmusic Member

Source Audio Reflex has 3 analog outs and/or 3 midi commands. So with the MC6 you can control 5 pedals simultaneously.

Otherwise I belive both Mission Engineering and SA make dual expression pedals.

enharmonic likes this.
  3. kenoflife

they make dual expression pedals - but I don't believe you can independently switch inputs - both come in. Guess that's fine if you are turning on and off 2 separate pedals, or want to run 2 at the same time - but doesn't really fulfill the need to just have 1 at a time with both inputs being online all the time... Am I making sense?

Maybe what I'm looking for as just a simple switch for 2 TRS cables into a regular expression pedal - that would control which would be fed in - as I don't ever need both.

The Reflex seems way overkill - and not even sure it does what I want...

4. jquanmusic

jquanmusic Member

The Reflex does what you want. I believe the expressionator does also, but that costs almost as much as the Reflex if I recall.

FbIsNotE likes this.
  5. kenoflife

6. jquanmusic

jquanmusic Member

I don't use the aux ports on my MC6 for expression. I use the Reflex Midi outputs. Are the expression settings for the MC6 set globaly? Could you just change presets on the MC6 to change what the MC6 is controlling?

FbIsNotE likes this.
  7. kenoflife

many ways to skin the cat... I'll have to investigate how the Reflex works.
    I can change the presets on the MC6 but itd be kind of nice to set it up so that there'd be a clear indicator/switch of which expression 'pedal' was on without having to press into another parameter on the MC6 each time I wanted it to just be volume again... have to think it thru a little more

FbIsNotE and jquanmusic like this.
  8. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

Something to keep in mind if you look at the toe-down style switchable Exp (like is built in to Helix)....
    To switch from EXP 1 to 2 or vice versa, you have to go full toe down to make the switch.
    SUCKS for me...
    If I am using an Exp for controlling gain and delay feedback (as I often do), it has to be maxed out to make the switch.
    I find it all easier to simply use two Dunlop Mini Exp pedals.

9. kenoflife

yes that does kind of suck - better to just have a separate switch.
    Then when engaged it would keep the old parameter where it was while going to the new one...2 small pedals might be best in the end tho...

10. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

@kenoflife I have used my Reflex to accomplish what you want, but the actual process is a little different. Reflex controls 5 pedals on my board. 2 pedals get an Analog out each and the other 3 get a MIDI out.

It's not easy to switch each Reflex out on/off directly in real time (while playing) but you can set the presets up to only output 1 at a time. So...

Preset 1 = Analog 1 only
    Preset 2 = Analog 2 only
    Preset 3 = Analog 3 only
    Preset 4 = MIDI Ch. 1 only

By rolling through the presets you effectively turn each individual output on/off. To do this practically you need a MIDI controller.

I also have 1 preset with all outputs on so when I'm just jamming I can use the board like a non-MIDI board and just turn the pedals on directly and each one will have expression. The only problem is if I have 2 pedals going, the Reflex expresses both simultaneously. To overcome this I have MIDI controller presets setup for the specific situations I need.

So, not perfect but there are some unexpected bonuses that I came across. Because Reflex has it's own onboard LFO you can have presets that not only just control 1 pedal but control it with each of the different LFO/ramp types!! So...

Preset 11 = Analog 1 only = Sawtooth LFO
    Preset 12 = Analog 1 only = Square LFO
    Preset 13 = Analog 1 only = Linear ramp
    Preset 14 = Analog 1 only = Logarithmic ramp

Preset 21 = Analog 2 only = Sawtooth LFO
    Preset 22 = Analog 2 only = Square LFO
    etc. etc.

11. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Mission Engineering used to make one but they stopped. The 2-input pedal they make now has both outputs active at the same time. I’ve got an older one on my board that switches between the two inputs with a toe-down switch. You might be able to find one used or, alternately, you could use their Expressionator, which lets you route 3 different effects to a single pedal and program which are on or off at which setting. It’s a great little pedal.

12. no_technique

no_technique Member

This. I used an Expressionator to control 3 different pedals (SA Nemesis, Red Panda Particle, Empress Reverb) with one expression pedal. The Expressionator has a selector button and also let's you select the taper/sweep. One cool thing is that if you switch from pedal A to pedal B, it remembers where the last position was for pedal A when you come back to it.

Black_Label likes this.
  13. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

The challenge with this is that the ‘other’ expression is then not connected to anything (but the cable is still plugged into the FX device, so it’s still expecting a control signal). IF you will only have one of the target devices on at any given time this would work, but then so would an expression pedal with two always-on jacks.

Another variation would be to not just switch which TRS gets connected to the expression pedal, but actually switch to a fixed pot which can then be adjusted to a ‘default’ setting - i.e., you’re in effect toggling between the expression pedal and the pot.

14. The_Accolade

The_Accolade Member

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  15. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

The Expressionator is fantastic. I’m using it to control a Moogerfooger delay, an Eventide Pitchfactor and a Boss MD-500. The saved settings are really great and the ability to use it with any or all of the pedals attached. I have had zero issues with noise, too.

The_Accolade and no_technique like this.
  16. The_Accolade

The_Accolade Member

I'm really thinking that for whatever reason, there is something that all these manufacturers (and pigtronix) have in the way they built the EXP jack that Meris hasn't done, but they wouldn't really entertain any discussion about that.