IS there a dual fuzz pedal that has a Big Muff on one side and BC108 on the other

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hdiddy, Feb 15, 2012.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

Trying to put together a Eric JOhnson/David Gilmour Board and trying to combine the 2 in one box that is switchable, but one output. Does anyone know any builders that can do this?
    Thanks
    HMK

2. azrael

azrael Member

What kind of Big Muff? Gilmour has used several.

Easy to do, I could do that myself, have several Big Muff PCBs I can put to use. :)

3. rico1204

rico1204 Member

Blackout Effectors Twosome.

One side is the Musket (Muff) and the other is the Fix'd Fuzz (that's versatile enough to do fuzz face).

4. guitargod2u

guitargod2u Member

musket is really good for gilmour too i just picked up version 2 i had version 1 awhile ago. Its based off green sovtek muff but from what kit rae says it has cap values of a rams head. I have no experience with fix'd fuzz but kyle makes good pedals i'm sure it can nail a variety of tones.

5. azrael

azrael Member

The Musket is pretty much a Civil War Muff with an extra gain stage, straight from the mouth of the guys from Blackout Effectors. ;)

The fixed fuzz is interesting, it's a couple of different fuzzes put together, not really what I would choose for traditional tones though.

6. justonwo

justonwo Member

You're probably already aware of this but my personal preference is to split pedals up so I can put each of them anywhere on the board. It also options up your options quite a bit in terms of what you can buy. For individual pedals, I would get a Sunface and Stomp Under Foot Muff variant. You might contact Matt at SUF to see if he'll build you his fuzz face and muff in the same box.

7. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

I agree with the separate pedals trying to limit the # to 8 for everything
    Pedals that is
    I like that blackout idea, want to see if they have bc 108 chips on that side

8. azrael

azrael Member

IIRC, no. Like I said, the Fixed fuzz isn't quite a fuzz face. It's got several fuzzes together.

And the Sunface is Ge, not really suited for Gilmour tones, IMO.

9. guitargod2u

guitargod2u Member

you can get sunface with different chips

10. justonwo

justonwo Member

Or perfectly suited for Gilmour. Look closely. :)

[​IMG]

11. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

Maybe talk to John Lyons of Basic Audio, he built me a Tri/Ram Muff and Scarab Deluxe in the same enclosure. He is a great builder and could probably make you a sick sounding Fuzz Face to pair with a Muff.

[​IMG]

12. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

+1

It nails TB MKII tones and can definitely get in the Fuzz Face ballpark (although I prefer the BE Blunderbuss as a Fuzz Face and usee the Fix'd side of my Twosome as a MKII). -E

13. azrael

azrael Member

I wouldn't say nails, it gets close to MKII tones.

It's a bazz fuss and something like (i say that because the voltage divider is different) a fuzz face. The whole circuit is wrapped by a Muff input stage, tone control and gain recovery stage. So it's definitely very different from a MKII, just based on the Muff's tone control.

justonwo, I stand corrected! :D Nice board.

14. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Although not exactly what you are looking for, The Blackout Effectors Twosome is awesome! It is my favorite fuzz to date. It can do so many fuzzy things. The Fix'd Fuzz is a very cool, versatile fuzz, and then there is the Musket on the other side.

15. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

That's what I was thinking. John's your man.

16. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

A different topology doesn't preclude a pedal from copping tones achieved with different designs. The boost function (is this what you mean by input stage?) and, to a lesser extent, the tone control, really allows you to tweak the texture of the fuzz, and I have no problem nailing TB MKII and Supa Fuzz tones with the Fix'd. But now I'm off topic, because we're talking Fuzz Face. Sorry! -E

17. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Yep, 1st thing that came to mind for me as well. His Muff is unsurpassed and is basically 2 Muffs in one pedal with a better tuned tone control and WIDE sweep on the Mids knob. Then ask for a Solar Myth on the other side, vintage spec'd with BC108's and you're golden.

http://www.basicaudio.net/index.php

18. Blix

Blix Member

You want BC183 for EJ fuzz.
    Instead of searching for the perfect compromise pedal, you could put both pedals in a simple loop box that switches between them.