Is there a Fulldrive 2 pedal without the boost side?

TenneyThe2nd

Silver Supporting Member
Could you get a Lovekraft Mojodrive and have it tweaked for asymmetrical clipping? It seems like the closest relative to the FD.

chrisr0712

Several modders with offer an SD-1 modded to be the overdrive section of a Fulldrive. Don't know if they can do the mosfet clipping...where the magic is on the latest version.

ruger9

yep... SD-1, modded. Check out a Keeley or MonteAllums SD-1.

I had a Keeley SD-1 and an FD2 side-by-side, they were virtually indistinguishable.

NOTE: with the FD2 in VINTAGE mode; obviously the SD-1 doesn't have FM or COMPCUT modes. And I use the FM & Compcut modes way more than the vintage mode.)

No mosfet of course, but I never thought the mosfet added anything to the brilliant fd2 anyway.

Last edited:

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
I don't know about the clone of the SD-1... Maybe they sound close in the early gain stages but the dirt on the sd-1 sounds not as pleasing at bigger volumes. Plus, it's not true bypass and has a bleed through in bypass that is annoying! Can be modded out but even modded I think the SD-1 is as fine or as musical as the Fulldrive. Gotta prop up the pedal that started this whole scene!

p.j.

yeah. I rarely use the boost. one of the reasons I sold mine. Got a suggestion?
Did you like the non-boosted sound? I have a non-mosfet FD2 and I rarely use the boost or any mode other than FM but I still dig the pedal for what I use it for. Did you get rid of it because of its big footprint?

PJ

whaiyun

Yeah I did. I'm using a PT Mini and so space is very precious. I hate using massive pedalboards.
If the boost was independent that wouldve been a different story.
Did you like the non-boosted sound? I have a non-mosfet FD2 and I rarely use the boost or any mode other than FM but I still dig the pedal for what I use it for. Did you get rid of it because of its big footprint?

PJ

tonewave

apparently FD2 is a tubescreamer variation, where the od side is half of the TS circuit and the boost side gives you the other half.
So when both sides are on its a whole tubescreamer :)
anyway thats what someone a lot more knowledgable (can't remember who) said about it on the pages of tgp

whaiyun

Isn't the Eternity a marshall-sounding? or OCD-ish? or am I totally off ahhaha. I honestly don't know much about it. I'm looking for a low to mild OD. FD-2 kinda precedes the OCD in the gain range as far as I know

trishoot

I think you can get there with either an OCD Version 4, or a RTO. The OCD has a llittle more gain and the RTO has a little more sustain, but you can easily dial in the FD II sound.

ruger9

I've owned 2 OCDs, while at the same time owning an FD2. The OCD and FD2 are very different.

bean

Silver Supporting Member
The FD is a TS with the value on the active filter adjusted slightly higher (in some models, at least). The FM, Comp Cut and Vintage mode simply alter the configuration of the diodes in the feedback loop of the opamp (with comp cut bypassing parts of the active filter). The Boost mode simply adds more resistance in series with the gain pot, which results in more gain. It's not an actual boost like the FB-3 or the boost on the GT500.

You can't buy something off the shelf with these exact features minus the boost AFAIK, but it would be easy enough for someone to modify an existing TS to those specs if you know a good builder. I bet Josh at JHS could hook you up with this.