Is there a guitar picking sensitive pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bosstone, May 8, 2015.

1. bosstone

bosstone Member

I would really like a pedal that simply gives more sensitivity response to the amp and does little or nothing else. I have had pedals that give more pick response but always at the cost of its own flavor of distortion. I want it cleaner when with soft picking and more grit when I dig in.

2. zetamkiii

zetamkiii Member

3. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

There are too many to list.

I use a Wampler Euohoria and it does that very well on the "open" setting.

4. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

The VFE Blues King is the most "open" Ive ever played.

5. bosstone

bosstone Member

I might try the Euphoria. I have the Wampler EGO and that gets close to what I am looking for. I do use it for a bit of boost as well.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  6. stucker

stucker Member

Xotic RC Booster

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

There's no pedal that will clip exactly the same as your amp, and with exactly the same EQ as if no pedal were there, regardless of what amp it is.

I'm fairly certain of this, even though I haven't tried every pedal (seems like I've come close though . . . he he).

The Timmy might come the closest, given it's unique EQ structure and knobs. But it has it's own clipping flavor. Unless you keep the drive off and just raise the level to push your amp a bit. Which you might interpret as more "lively". Though you can probably achieve the same thing by turning up your amp and treble a bit.

Good luck.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Kingsley Page would be my answer for this, set up its drive and level so it adds hair and grit when you dig in and pulling attack back and switching pu will just go clean while adding a hint of preamp tube sparkle and compression. It acts and behaves just like its part of your amp and it's wonderful with other pedals stacked in front of it.

Many of the preamp tone type pedals will probably do for you to. Chasetone Secret Preamp. DTS SDD preamp pedal.
    [​IMG]

But you know 1st and foremost everything your asking for would have me looking at preamp tubes in amp and speaker selection above trying to paste a pedal on front of it. Get the pu/amp/speaker right and everything else just falls into place.

9. bosstone

bosstone Member

This is why I am asking. I know some amps are much more sensitive than others and the better the amp, the more responsive. After owning dozens of amps but now scaling way down, I like a pedal that will at least get me part way there without being an overdrive pedal. I want a boost pedal that doesn't just boost everything uniformly higher with its knobs but can drive the amp based on pick attack that would at least approach the response of a better amp. I like the sound I get now.

10. groovington

groovington Member

Chase Tone Secret Preamp, although it's not a transparent pedal, it will change your tone in a great way! And what's easier than one knob and one switch?

11. howthewestwas1

howthewestwas1 Supporting Member

the spaceman aphelion is extremely touch sensitive, more so than any other pedal i've tried. my jhs morning glory is also pretty touch sensitive.

12. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Sounds to me like you are looking for a Expander. Like the reverse of a compressor. Fairly common in the live sound world

13. JinX78

JinX78 Member

14. Nystuss

Nystuss Member

This is what I was about to say. Instead of making the loud stuff quieter and the quiet stuff louder until it's all the same (compressor), you're looking for the loud stuff to be louder and the quiet stuff to be quieter.

So...try wiring a compressor backwards in your chain.

:sarcasm

15. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

An expander usually only works on the soft stuff, making it softer. after you hit the threshold youÂ’re back to your normal gain.

16. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Try this one.

17. Jupiter Tarts

Jupiter Tarts Member

Bogner harlow. The tone and bloom knobs can give you some wonderful things to you sound. I use it to add crispness to my rhythm.