Is There a Guitar Player You Feel Like You Should Really Love But Can't?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by coot tone, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

Jerry Garcia.. just don't connect with his groovin'
    Carlos Santana.. I liked him 40 years ago...got tired of his same old thing.

on a lower tier: Gary Richrath..some of his solos are like finger nails on blackboard

2. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

This thread could be titled "let's all s**t all over DeathMonkey's favorite guitarists". :D :D :D

I'll throw out Guthrie Govan. Dude is a hot lick machine, but does nothing for me emotionally. I go hot and cold on Andy Timmons as well. I just don't think he has a unique emotional or musical perspective.

3. buddyrama

buddyrama Supporting Member

4. kelly dell

kelly dell Member

I`m gonna get roasted for this but...... BOB DYLAN!:hide2

Cant stand his voice and dont care about his political views.

:boxer

5. kelly dell

kelly dell Member

I met Jewel back in in the late 80`s she was living in a car out on Mission Beach in San Diego she was a little smelly and very dirty.
    I was in the Navy at the time (you know how those sailors are) I`m not sure I would have wanted to "love her" at that time anyway. She did however play a little acoustic and she sang like a little bird out on the boardwalk some nights. She used to sing "I remeber you" by Skid Row and it was really very good for a little hippie chic beach dweller.... she was young to maybe 17 or so,

She is looking pretty hot these days tho and she has come a long way since then.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  6. Hunterdog

Hunterdog Member

Jimmy Page.

There, I said it.

7. kerry kruger

kerry kruger Member

Buddy Guy (must have severe ear damage to like his tone.)... Jerry Garcia (sucks in every direction)...Holdsworth (what's up with the chorus man?)
    Zakk Wylde (just too much everything), Clapton since about 1995, Lenny Kravitz, and Jimmy Vaughan (striving for invisibility?). Just can't handle 'em.

8. shane8

shane8 Member

the short ans is no - the said plank spanker ain't gonna lose any sleep either :crazyguy

9. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Is there anyone else you'd like to bash? You might want to go back and read the OP's question. It wasn't "name a few guitarists you cant stand".

10. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

I started playing in the late eighties. Back then, Vai, Satriani, Yngwie, Nuno, etc... were really popular. While I appreciated their abilities, their music, for the most part, leaves me cold. I was learning to play guitar and did learn a few of their licks, but always went back to the classic rock, motown and country stuff I grew up with.

11. Gemari77

Gemari77 Member

Through out the years...because of friends, MTV, guitar magazines and all sorts of "greatest" lists there have always been guitarists that it seems everyone "should" like or respect because most of us were brought up to believe that those players are great. Or newer players that many people rave about, while you're secretly thinking "I don't get it, but I will remain silent".

It was fun reading this thread as most of those guitarists, for me, were mentioned.

I have all the respect in the world for them and even try to learn what I can from them.. then, hopefully use some of that knowledge to play stuff that I'd like to hear.

12. waylay00

waylay00 Member

:facepalm

You can't lump them all together merely as "shredders"...No offense, but saying you can't dig ANY of the above players tells me you haven't listened to them much. Steve Morse is just as different a player than Yngwie as SRV.

Personally, I think there is merit in most people's playing, albeit in different ways.

13. motokev

motokev Member

14. Greg_L

Greg_L Senior Member

15. v-verb

v-verb Member

I'm with the OP. Even before I read the post - just the title - I was thinking "Bonamassa"

I have tons of respect for his talent and work ethic. I like his albums

What ruined it for me was seeing him live. If he cut out his self indulgent wanking, I would have loved the show

16. BMX

BMX Member

I should be a huge Black Crowes fan. Love the vibe and the sound of the band. Love the gear, love all of the guitar players and the singer. I just wish I liked the songs better. Every album seems to have one good song but the rest leave me flat. They have a die-hard following so it's me not them. If they did an album with outside songwriters I'd probably love it.

17. (Something)

(Something) Supporting Member

For me, about 95% of the players gushed over on TGP don't do much for me.

18. Zero G

Zero G Member

Ha, same for me. Also, Robben Ford, Bonamassa, and a lot of the modern blues guys. Love the licks and tones, but I'm not a fan of their singing or songs. Guthrie Govan is an amazing player. Met him and he is a really great, down to earth guy. Don't really love his guitar tones though, and I can't ever make it through an entire jazz fusion song without feeling drowsy.

19. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

Old thread but no...there is no guitar player I feel I should like.

20. NoQuarter

NoQuarter Member

I could never get into joe satriani. I wanted to like him, but just can not bond with his tone or material.