Is there a high-gain power-scaled amp in production?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by axelicker, Sep 22, 2008.

1. axelicker

axelicker Member

Like the title says... curious if there are any stock amp offerings with a power scaling feature. I'm stuck in an apt (perhaps a condo soon) and have to play at low-conversation volume. I play melodic/prog/power metal and some blues. This is only for practice. Would like an aggressively-voiced amp which sounds just great turned way down.
    Currently using a V-Amp with headphones, and have a Peavey JSX which does have a good master volume, still, it's ridiculous to use that amp at home barely 'turned on', I'm just keeping it for jamming opportunities.
    HAD an Axe-FX, and won't go there again unless they redesign it with a bunch more knobs on the front panel to speed the endless tweaking required. At least I required it, b/c I perennially had the feeling I could better dial in this or that...Also, $2k is a bit steep for this application.

2. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Member

The Boogie Mark IV has some great power scaling. Does really well at low volumes.

3. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

4. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

5. scoob

scoob Member

Isn't there a Blankemship (Variplex?) that has power scaling? I know they sound damn good. Unsure about power scaling....
    Motrock could tell us if he's around. He just got one...

6. axelicker

axelicker Member

Great info so far, thanks, this is awesome! I'd only been aware of the Badger and some others that were not so much the voicing I'm looking for. Looking like $2k+ is the entry level for such amps.

7. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

What about something like a used Soldano Atomic 16? It's a high gain 16W amp with an excellent master volume.

8. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

I'm a huge fan of power scaling but for the type of tones I believe your after I think pre amp gain is what you're looking for. I think in these cases power scaling isn't as necessary, rather a good master volume.

If you are looking for lower wattage the Reeves Custom 10 HG might be a good one, and for a more 80s flavor I think (not speaking from experience) you could check out the Reeves Custom Lead HG as mentioned earlier in the thread. Also check out Reinhardt amps, he makes some higher gain models with power scaling.

9. axelicker

axelicker Member

Voojo - interesting post. Perhaps accurate too. It's true, the amps I favor such as M/B Mark series, Soldano, JSX, use a lot of preamp gain to get the goods, but at the really low volumes I have to wonder how much better is that tone than a POD or the like? Thus I wanted to inquire about a power-scaled high-gainer. Not bloody likely to be able to sample one of the boutique amps mentioned before purchase, so what better forum to inquire about them than here :cool:

10. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Any thoughts of a attenuator ? Or are you looking for mainly pre-amp gain ?

11. alivegy

alivegy Member

I think most Fargen amp have power scaling.

12. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I have both and I agree, a Fargen Miniplex Mk. 2 in 80's mode is a good option. Put a pedal in front of it, and the gain is plenty (even though you could do well without a pedal too) :)

13. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

Mojave... The Scorpion sounds pretty cool. Basically a JCM 800 with power scaling.

14. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

15. MartinC

MartinC Member

I saw a youtube clip of an Elmwood Modena 60 (could have been 90) that was being played at a barely-on setting volume-wise and the tone sounded remarkably like you'd expect a high gain amp to sound when opened up.

Sorry, bit vague, but might be worth pursuing ... have a search on youtube for Elmwood+modena and you'll probably find the clip pretty easily.

Edit: this is the clip I was talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93iqwJw0kHE&feature=related

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  16. jcj

jcj Member

The real question is how much you're willing to spend.....if you want HIGH gain for 2k, and an excellent master(obviously not power scaling, but the same effect for high gain applications) take a look at the Diezel Einstein. Great clean, high gain, and almost everything in between.

For a bit more cash, check out the Elmwoods, or the Diezel Herbert.

Good luck!

17. stratotone

stratotone Silver Supporting Member

If you run a ton of preamp gain on the front end and then want to saturate the output stage too, you're just going to get a lot of mush. Most modern amps don't really give much output distortion - the power amp section is set to stay tight and clean as long as possible.

Where being able to 'power scale' or attenuate the amp's volume really shines is in an amp like an old Marshall that can't get the goods unless it's ungodly loud. If you're a high gain weasel, I don't see why you'd even want to do power scaling.

Pete

18. axelicker

axelicker Member

I hear you guys about the preamp gain vs power tube saturation. The thought was that at conversational volumes perhaps having power scaling would result in a more dynamic, touch-sensitive high-gainer. I would love to try something like the MiniPlex with the right tubes, the Reeves Custom 10 HG, Mojave Scorpion...

And the Modena 60.......... :drool !!!!!!!!!! Not exactly a home-wankers amp, but damn that sounds nice.

19. Benlevy

Benlevy Member

Say what? Mark IV's have power scaling? I guess I don't know what power scaling is. My Mark IV has no such thing...I think.

Played an Einstien today. $3400 new for a combo. Over $3000 for a head. Sounded good, maybe a little buzzy, cleans were surprising. But it did not make me want to part with that kind of money...

20. MartinC

MartinC Member

Depends how much you like wanking I 'spose :AOK

:dude