Is there a Higher Wattage Equivalent to the Alico Blue?

zzmoore

IME there is not a high watt or low watt equivalent to anything. AlNiCo Blues sound the way they do because of how they are constructed. If you add something to increase its power capacity then the speaker also changes. Try finding a speaker with a 30 ounce magnet that sounds like a EVM 12L. Or a 75 watt speaker that sounds like the old Celestion "green backs" etc. etc. etc. My opinion of course.

esoteric pete

Silver Supporting Member
yes, as tonefish said. you can get the weber blue dog in a few different wattage ratings, and they are spectacular speakers IMO.

908SSP

IME there is not a high watt or low watt equivalent to anything. AlNiCo Blues sound the way they do because of how they are constructed. If you add something to increase its power capacity then the speaker also changes. Try finding a speaker with a 30 ounce magnet that sounds like a EVM 12L. Or a 75 watt speaker that sounds like the old Celestion "green backs" etc. etc. etc. My opinion of course.
I agree. They don't sound the same because they aren't the same and often aren't even carefully created to sound the same. Nothing I have tried sound like a Blue and I have tried everything mentioned here except a Gold. Weber's don't, Fane doesn't, Tone Tubbys don't now that isn't to say they can't sound great just not like a Blue. The speaker I would suggest you look at is the new Silver Scumnico it doesn't sound like a Blue I think it sounds better. Tighter bass, warmer mids, sweet high end without being over powering try the Scumnico 30 watt. I had one here and it sounded so close to my 1967 Silver Pulsonic alnico pair I was shocked and ordered four.:drool

tonehead

Anyone tried a 12" Alnico Blue in a BF Princeton Reverb? Looking for a sweet singing blues tone with a 64 Strat.

Trending Topics