Is there a "Jerry Garcia in a box"?? (NOT A JERRY RIG RUNDOWN/EFFECTS DEBATE)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jdawgy, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Bieling3

Bieling3 Member

I have a Gibson 60's tribute SG with stock p-90s and sometimes for the life of me I can not get away from that Jerryesque honk...

2. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Silver Supporting Member

I find that using a strat, a sparkle drive, klon KTR and a digitech synth wah into an ampeg jet I can sound like I'm trying really hard!

:eek:)

3. TheoDog

TheoDog Supporting Member

Not sure if I can add anything to this thorough discussion.
    I will point out the difference of tone vs technique.
    The rig has been nicely covered.

I did not see much mention of the Adamas 2.0 graphite picks. And that he tended to pick each note with very few hammer-ons and pull-offs.
    Seems like a 3 pickup buffered SG would facilitate the best combination of factors and upper fret access.

My problem with seeking Jerry's tone is that much of what really drives me to love it is contained on bootleg cassettes... So.....

Great discussion nonetheless!

4. alguit

alguit Supporting Member

Nope, nope, nope-it's Jerry sounds like Jerry no matter what he plays; all this persiflage above seems like obfuscation!!! ;)

5. shaun_mac

shaun_mac Member

the middle pick up of a stratocaster was Jerry's spot during that era and onward even on his custom guitars like Wolf which were wired for the most part like a Stratocaster.

Jerry had a very clean pristine tone, and when he started adding overdrive his tone was susceptible feedback.

I would suggest a Weber Speaker from the "High Power" section and the "California 12" Ceramic" https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/

along with a BOSS SD-1 if you also dig the later tone which was the same as the '72 tone with some additions (Jerry was a BOSS guy) http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2008/11/17/jerry_garcia-431x300.jpg

a Jacque Trinity http://jacquespedals.com/index.php?...ty&PHPSESSID=2d8b933265bc726c08bab56f13b09dbb

Just a few suggestions from a fellow Jerry fan!

[​IMG]

6. shaun_mac

shaun_mac Member

7. anominous

anominous Senior Member

You'll need to also amputate your right middle finger at the mid-joint.

lakersrock likes this.
  8. BarryW

BarryW Member

It's in the hands, it's in the heart. Be yourself, study the instrument, and let your own voice come through. It's fun to try to replicate something, but really - borrow from it, use it as part of what makes you "you", and then create yourself. What a crime if a great virtuoso like Steve Kimock had spent his life trying to be Jerry - the world would be robbed of the beauty that is SK. Or Mark Karan, or Neal Casal - so many great players. Do yer thing folks! I'd bet Jerry would agree, god bless him.

My input - BF Fender, strat middle pickup, then channel the "It". Or at least try. ;^}

Thanks for the great discussion on this thread, especially the amazing detail by staggerle. I wish I had more time to build amps.

9. staggerle

staggerle Member

That's alot of nopes considering you have nothing to back up the nopes.
    I mentioned his string attack before which is unique pencil/scalpel style and would be able to tell it was jerry pickin thru a wal-mart guitar kit.. Even on an acoustic his tone with super sensitive magnetic string pulll from onboard opamp booster/buffer snd thru all of the public known not all gear/mods and unique hi-fi 70's era top of the line home stereo style amplification with beer can sized output filter caps.,15degrees angle held no flex dull point tip graphite picks that barely touched strings due to ultra sensitivity hense tonnes more custom vibratos incl. his famous finger roll arppegios.. He really hit the so called dreamed of jerry in a box in in 82 and it only got better and more crystal sounding up until he ditched the Mc for a crest in 93. If you wanted to ear this so caled jer in a box tonr he always used his Mc;s for JBG shows. No tone and or interference isolation came from the exotic ard woods useds ,JBL's in special open back birch cabs,sound shaped 2300's and most important was the modded pre. which came properly voiced 2do stat the pre mods in only 2 models. Ultimate upgraded, cheap parts replaced and bad sections by passed,gnd lift.
    and or removed.
    Jerry had a good% of original japan boss pedals which were akso true bypased but his main fx were mxr and mutron.
    If you think it can be fit into a box grab the boss 67 twin pedal,high nickel count strings,single coil pups and 2mm pick and shoot that thru anu guitar combo amp. LMAO good luck. Oh yeah change you tone pot caps to .22uf,
    Complete lack of knowledge shot at a jerry who knew more about guitars ads amplification studied for almost 3 decades. Just through all 300lbs of it in a box.
    Here's th e smallest jer in a box from H&K . The little box top right with 2 rd lights is called the hughes and Kettner blues master in us and in uk call crunch master. You still need split dp104,jbl 110,120,130 series and rverb.

http://youtu.be/keeZ1KjPiXc

smallest you'll get. Made in germany,

10. Jim Moulton

Jim Moulton Member

Didn't Jerry use a Boss DS-1?

11. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Member

Nice post staggerle....that H&K rig sounds killer. Thanks for laying all that out. Jer and The Dead really pushed the envelope like no other regarding equipment and it's possibilities. So much of what they added to the spectrum flies under the radar. I think it's easy for some to think that 'those hippies' just hit the road, and somehow, the magic happened. Few musicians of any genre put more thought, effort, and $$ into improving their sound.

The GD had THE BEST sound of any touring band, regardless of the era of technology. I saw over 100 major non-Dead concerts '75-'85, and NOBODY came close. I specifically remember the quantum leap in quality the sound took in Summer '85, when they hit the first notes in Saratoga, NY. All I could compare it to was like having Bose headphones on. Remember it to this day.

12. Don't tase me bro

Don't tase me bro Member

Dan Healy just auctioned one of Garcia's Mutrons on eBay. Went for around $4500

13. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Supporting Member

The Proton v3 works for me!

14. staggerle

staggerle Member

Yes jer used a Boss ds-1 with two resoto cnage japanese version,boss over drivell ow and 2 boss hray EQ pedals plus the oc-c. He later went to ibanex tube screamer, and black boss heav metal all modeled with bypasss and all JAP not taiwan versions. I can post picse of u want. off the mods. forget keeley jer's mods were the king.

15. staggerle

staggerle Member

I don't know how my other contributing thread got locked,. It was the only way to describe it's impossible jer a box.. Sure hendrix , paisley,boss tweed,64-67 twin and etc are horrendous,
    You could use d-1 modded,two fxr's,and.mutron in a box. All true bypassed they won't even sound the full tonal range becaue of the pre.
    It's funny my last posting thread was closed while being commented by several senior guru's.
    Dan Lurie has the sweetest marketed pre we broke down,100% hand wired even more efficient orig caps plus gnd lift and ioriginal tube spring n tank.
    The only CON is that none of them took the NOS tube route lie I did.(umpredicable lifeespan plus few hund more a piece but well work it.

16. staggerle

staggerle Member

Well I measured the box you guys are talking about. It's 5 1/2 feet tall and just alittle wider than rack mount bolt holes. This doesnt count the open back birch cab with e120jbls(huge factor),dimarz pups n homemade 6db stratoblaster in guitar. All pedals are mounted on 20 degree angled top shelf in box,pre and spring tank form an L shape down to bottom shelf vertical spring tank and 157lb amp bottom dual reinforced shelf with casters to mobilize. Midi controls and 1 springless vol pedal are only thing on the ground. All fx are true bypassed(aka) no power needed in pedal to hear sound and all fx are controlled by SG. No stomping.

http://youtu.be/x1w-UNgvcTk

http://youtu.be/uIVtluOtD-c

http://youtu.be/QIIhkrljL6U

Just gotta tweak the bias in the homemade pre and finalize the piezo. Then relocating to a more no drywall acoustic room. Again apologize for the sluggish playin.......pretty rusty.

You just can't fit 30yrs of ingenuity in a little stomp box. If that's what u want get a podxt......they have lots of downloadable jerry patches. Good luck with that.

Like to say thanks to Mr.Kimock and the legendary Stanley Owsley whom I met in Australia years ago.

17. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Hey man, dig your tone a lot. Sweet!

Myself, just this month, I finalized my second Jerry rig. This one's a FYD BF TR preamp (includes all of the post-Alembic TR mods on the Wald Electronics site) into a McIntosh MC50 into an Avatar 1X12 (pending my receipt of a Sound Scaper Productions Quarter) loaded with an E120. My guitar is my one-off Philtone Jerrycaster. I think you'd dig the rig. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Jesus freak

Jesus freak Member

For 400$, you can get Jerry Garcia in a pouch.

19. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I don't understand this thread; Stagerlee, you may be knowledgeable, but you make no sense. I'd love to understand you, but your writing is an incoherent mess and I am still not sure what this box is you keep talking about.