Is there a Les Paul w/a wider-than-average nut?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BatChainPuller, Apr 29, 2008.

1. BatChainPuller

BatChainPuller Member

Does anyone know if there are any specific Les Paul models that have a
    1 3/4" (1.75") nut width, as opposed to the standard 1 11/16"? And hopefully with the bigger '50s neck carve?

I'm trying to get as close as possible to a Warmoth fatback/1.75" neck, but on a Les Paul.

2. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

I looked into this a while back as I personally want something along the same lines. Without going the full custom route there really aren't any/many out there in the realm of production guitars from what info I've gathered. There are a few Agile models with wider necks (AL-3100 Wide and 2100 which is like a Jr./Special) in the lower price range and not much until you go semi/full custom. I think there may have been some wide/chunky necked Hagstrom Swedes (def in the LP camp) out there over the years too, but I have no idea how to find more info on them. From Gibson specifically I don't think I've ever seen one with a wider neck either (I'm sure the CS may accommodate that though). I'd love something like that though (with a longer scale length ideally).

Maybe someone else has some more suggestions???

Oh, and if you don't mind it being a bolt-on quite a few of the Gadow guitar models appear to come with 1.75" wide necks & their prices used seem to be very reasonable considering they're hand built. I'm not sure about the neck profiles though as I've yet to try one, but it might fit the bill.

3. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

I heard Gibson is releasing a 2" wide nut "Les Paul Sausage Finger Special" model at the 2009 NAMM...

... kidding bro! haha.

I think a custom warmoth would probably be your best bet.

4. BatChainPuller

BatChainPuller Member

Thanks...yes, I've already got two Warmoths with big necks. Just wondering about production Gibsons. I thought there may have been a year or a model with a 1 3/4" nut. I would want a set neck, too--already have the bolt on part covered.

Maybe somebody else will weigh in...I've looked around the LP forum but had a registration problem (like the other thread on that).

5. Hammertone

Hammertone Member

Gibson is pretty consistent on nut width. I think the easiest ways to go are
    - re-neck a used Gibson - I'm about to have this done myself
    - custom order from Heritage - I've seen lots of wider neck Heritage guitars

6. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

7. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

No, but I know of a dude on the east side that has a pair and will show them for a dollar.

8. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    I don't know about Les but I heard his Grandson is well hung?