Is there a less temperamental germanium fuzz?

goodsal

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Fulltone '69 that sounds great about 1/3 of the time, but needs lots of tweaking 2/3 of the time, even with the same guitar and amp. I find it very frustrating, and won't use it live because I don't know what I'll get from it on any given night. I understand that's the nature of the beast with germanium, but wonder if there are more consistent fuzz options out there, more of a set-and-forget type of pedal.

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
I've not tried a 69 long term enough to compare but I will tell you that my AnalogMan white dot NKT275 Fuzz Faces are pretty stable for Ge fuzzes...not Si by a long shot but they are more stable. In fact, I almost ever mess with the bias controls!

corbs

Silver Supporting Member
Well I have a Baja Tech Das Fuzz on the way, and they claim that they have a technique that stabalizes the transitors.

From the web site:

"Das Fuzz Ge has been voiced in the original Fuzz Face tradition to get those tones of yesteryear but with modern conveniences. Some of these include using a technique to stabilize the transistors from temperature changes that commonly plague stock/clone germanium Fuzz Faces. This technique does not compromise your tone whatsoever and only keeps its tone going during gigs that would leave common germanium fuzzes dead. What's even cooler is there's no need for a trimpot or external 'bias' pot to constantly adjust do to temperature changes. We're just making life a little easier. "

http://www.bajatechcustom.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_27&products_id=63

I'm excited to have it arrive !

Check it-

Bluesrocker99

Hmm.. I also have a Das Fuzz on the way!!
However, I live in the UK and we rarely get the kind of temperature extremes which affect Ge fuzzes. I have a FF clone from Ghost Effects which is possibly the best I've ever heard and it is consistently good. In fact I have more problems with my OD and distortion pedals fromm gig to gig, I'm convinced that it's down to mains power supply variation.
My fuzz is running on batteries so always sounds good!

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
I havenever heard of such a thing...I'd imagine if it were possible far mroe people would be doing it...Im just saying.

Bluesrocker99

Yea, I'm a bit sceptical about the claims re the bias on the Das Fuzz , but the sound clips I've heard are pretty good.

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
Try a BC183l. It's slightly more germanium sounding for a silicon.
Just one mans opinion but a BC183L doesn't sound a bit like Germanium to me...

Here is the deal...if you want Ge tone you get the pain in the ass that comes with it...if you want on stage stability you have to take the tone that comes with it...it's not a worse or even bad tone, it's just different.

corbs

Silver Supporting Member
The Nick Greer Razor Burn is an excellent Ge/Si hybrid that you can pick up without taking out a 2nd mortgage or waiting 3 years.

Got one on my board.

:boxer

Last edited:

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
A pedal with a bias control will help greatly.
You'll still have problems under hot stage lights. Germanium just doesn't like to be hot and thats how a lot of playing environments are.

To the OP, you could honestly consider getting a cold bottle of beer from the bar at shows and setting it on the pedal (unopened of course). It might keep things a little more stable while you play if heat is what is causing your problems.

EXP

Supporting Member
To the OP, you could honestly consider getting a cold bottle of beer from the bar at shows and setting it on the pedal (unopened of course). It might keep things a little more stable while you play if heat is what is causing your problems.
Hendrix would keep his Ge fuzzfaces in a cooler before shows. Maybe bring a cooler or ice pack to gigs if you are going to use germanium, especially when playing outdoors in the heat.

Rancor33

Mi Audio Neo Fuzz. I've never had to change anything after I dialed it in, except tweaking the "body' control (mids) and the 3-way bright switch to cut through the mix in certain band/ room situations. Day, night, summer, winter it sounds the same. Plus it has a Bias control to compensate if you need it, but I never have.

I'm sure MI Audio used to claim it had some kind of temperature stabilization on their website, but I can't see it now.

I do have a Baja Tech Germanium Treble Booster which is supposed to be temp stabilized and from what I've found after 2 years, it is. Works 100% the same all the time.

Couldn't say the same for my Fuzz Factory...

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
i'm sure that the 69 HAS a bias control. . . . in fact, i KNOW it does unless it's some random prototype that no one has ever seen. meanwhile, my screwdriver deluxe can sound JUST LIKE your fulltone 69 and doesn't have any of the 'tempermental' issues that a 'regular' germanium fuzz does. my screwdriver has put my NKT 275 fuzz back in its box. also - you can put it ANYWHERE on your board. doesn't need to be first. . . doesn't care about your wah or buffers or nuttin. . .. mike over at catalinbread (erksin - i think his real name is mike?) also has his fulltone 69 OFF his board in favor of the screwdriver for the same reasons. the SD can sound just like it. . . . .

Trending Topics