Is there a model guitar that you find harder to play?

arpegadream

Silver Supporting Member
My best friend just declared that one of his guitars, a very inexpensive Cort, is now mine since he left it with me and I fixed it up. It's a decent guitar for a cheapie, but I find it harder to play than my other two cheap guitars. It is a 25.5" scale, so there is that, and yeah, I've done good setups on all three guitars, believe me, I'm a tech and can do such things pretty well.

Still, it's harder to play. I remember when I had my 64 Strat as a kid it was harder to play than my Hag III by quite a bit, too.

I know the neck's shape, width, scoop, scale, radii, wood, and more affects how hard it is a play a guitar well, but expensive or cheap doesn't ALWAYS dictate difficulty. But the Cort is definitely cheaper than my other two. I presently don't own a valuable guitar, I've had a number of them though and ease of play wasn't directly relatable to price. It is a factor though.

So of your guitars, which ones are less docile to play but you still love?

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I do better with Gibson scale instruments with light 009 or 008 strings.. jumbo frets. Fatter necks. Try some round core pure nickel strings from Curt Mangan.. easier on the hands.....

Russ73

Like Rod said I play better lately with shorter scale IE Gibson or PRS and 9s down from 10s and 9.5s...just a complication of getting older I guess...

Danzego

I have an American Professional Tele that I consider harder to play than my other guitars (2008 American Standard Strat and three Les Pauls- Standard 50s, 2019 Traditional, and a 2020 Custom Shop V1 R0).

I think a set up would help some, since the nut slots could use some lowering. However, the action feels higher than it should for 4/64” due to to the narrow tall frets (more distance to the fretboard). I’ve considered getting the frets leveled and taken down to medium jumbo height. Also, the slab body makes the guitar less comfortable than my Strat and LPs.

If it wasn’t for the fact that it sounds so darn good and has an ash body, I’d probably sell it and just get another Strat. I still consider it from time to time.

Woowoo

I can switch between 24"-25.5" scale or 7.25" - 14" radius without any problem. What makes it really hard for me to play, is a fretboard with sharp (not rounded) edges.

BigDoug1053

Gold Supporting Member
I have trouble with fretboard radii smaller than 12" - so most Fender guitars and basses fall into this category... I think this is because I started out on a classical acoustic and then my first electric was a 61 SG Special. Nowadays, I prefer shredders with 14-16" radii and Gibsons and Gretsches.

Brad2

A full scale stratocaster with thin vintage frets. And with gibson type guitars with a lot of models I find it hard to finger notes and chords on the first fret.

Theorist

Silver Supporting Member
I bought an Epiphone SG that had some weird flat frets, that guitar was really hard to play.

I also have two strats, one MIA and one MIM, I'm trying to figure out why, but the MIM is a lot easier to play...

CaptNasty

Guitar Geek
Double Platinum Member
Barring extreme setup (e.g. action set at 3/8”), there are guitars that I find feel better to me personally, but I don’t need such a guitar to be able to play. I can play effectively on guitars that I am fighting and on guitars that I “gel” with.

The difference I find is that the guitar I “gel” with causes me to feel very good. Like I am getting serotonin release because I am enjoying playing so much.

Last edited:

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
I can switch between 24"-25.5" scale or 7.25" - 14" radius without any problem. What makes it really hard for me to play, is a fretboard with sharp (not rounded) edges.
I’m the same way. They dig into my hand and really bug me after a little while.

fjrabon

Firebird
Rickenbacker
Gloss maple fretboard + 7.25” radius + vintage frets (any two is fine, but all 3 together are a no go)

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
About the only thing that really bothers me are big round necks -and I dont have small hands. I feel like the back of the neck is in my way. Going from my strats 9 1/2 radius to my Ibanez RG's 16 radius/ super thin neck throws me for a bit but not that long.

VanWhelan

My Martin 000-16 acoustic can be a real bear to play. It's ok for chords, but is super stiff when it comes to any sort of soloing.

Ramboorider

Silver Supporting Member
Not in terms of the neck or action or location of controls or anything. But I play seated almost always these days. And Les Pauls, or other guitars modeled after Les Pauls, with the leg cut way over to the left toward the neck, are incredibly uncomfortable for me to play. That leg cut just moves the whole guitar to the right and throws off where I pick and my access to the upper frets, which require a lot of twisting and turning to get to. I learned this the hard way after I bought a used PRS 594 about 2 1/2 years ago and found it painful to play. It was an incredible guitar, but after a few months I gave up on trying to adapt to it and sold it. I didn't do too badly because I'd bought it used, but it was a drag. Had the same thing happen about a year ago with a Les Paul with P90's.

Strats and teles are fine. Firebirds, SGs, and Jazzmasters are sublime in this regard because the leg cut is way back by the bridge. But anything with a leg cut like a Les Paul is off limits to me now. Which is a drag because that excludes a lot of nice guitars. I had an Ibanez LP copy as a kid that was a fantastic guitar and I really dug it. But I was skinny as a rail back then and play standing the vast majority of the time anyway.

-Ray

Jon C

Silver Supporting Member
Not in terms of the neck or action or location of controls or anything. But I play seated almost always these days. And Les Pauls, or other guitars modeled after Les Pauls, with the leg cut way over to the left toward the neck, are incredibly uncomfortable for me to play. That leg cut just moves the whole guitar to the right and throws off where I pick and my access to the upper frets, which require a lot of twisting and turning to get to. I learned this the hard way after I bought a used PRS 594 about 2 1/2 years ago and found it painful to play. It was an incredible guitar, but after a few months I gave up on trying to adapt to it and sold it. I didn't do too badly because I'd bought it used, but it was a drag. Had the same thing happen about a year ago with a Les Paul with P90's.

Strats and teles are fine. Firebirds, SGs, and Jazzmasters are sublime in this regard because the leg cut is way back by the bridge. But anything with a leg cut like a Les Paul is off limits to me now. Which is a drag because that excludes a lot of nice guitars. I had an Ibanez LP copy as a kid that was a fantastic guitar and I really dug it. But I was skinny as a rail back then and play standing the vast majority of the time anyway.

-Ray
I play seated but with strap so the guitar sits similarly whether standing or sitting. I know what you mean about playing LPs seated but a strap helps a lot ime (I don’t wear my strap low so seated it’s still supporting the guitar).

Trending Topics