1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Is there a more gutsy guitarist than The Boss?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Turi, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Turi

Turi Member

The "Adam Raised A Cane" performance from that same concert has already been posted up here, that one is "Prove It All Night".

The Boss never gets his due as an awesome guitarist. I think he's killer.
    He doesn't play anything technical but I mean, his style is so freaking raw and powerful it's just mad.

He's one of my favourite guitarists, I know he made it in the Rolling Stones top 100 guitarists list (at like 96) but I think I'm the only dude on this site who's actually mentioned him as a guitar hero or idol or influence or whatever.

Anyone else dig his guitar work?
    When he starts rippin' into it, he's pretty much the best there is. It doesn't get any better than someone pouring their heart and soul into a scorchin' guitar solo.

If anyone has some clips of Bruce tearin' it a new one, I'd love to see 'em!

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

3. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I lived near Bruce and saw him in local clubs as well as played with his band mates when they were home between tours doing smaller venues for fun.
    Bruce used to play lead on a GT LP many years ago. He has the chops, but is thought of as Keith Richards is, which I feel is unfortunate. He started writing, as he understood that that was how he would be able to make it, and not as a lead player.
    He concentrates on his strong point, singing and being a front man, but don't let his simplicity fool you...he can play, and so can Keith.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  4. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

All of the '78 shows are pretty legendary for his lead playing. Definitely an under-appreciated lead guitar player.

greggorypeccary, Heinz57Pep and Turi like this.
  5. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Interesting, I had never really thought of Bruce as a lead player before, I think he is a great songwriter and distinctive vocalist, I am not a fan of everything he does, but I think he feels all his material and really puts his entire soul into the performance, I think that same think can be said about his lead work, Thanks for the clip.

Turi likes this.
  6. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

Similar to Neil Young. Not really a fan of either's playing, but they seem to be able to dial in the emotion.

massacre, fezz parka and Turi like this.
  7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

The best there is is a bit of a stretch, but he's a great entertainer. This one's more Tom Morello, but Bruce does a bit here too.

Turi likes this.
  8. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

WADR to the man for all he's accomplished, his playing does nothing for me. Nor does his singing. He's certainly written some great songs, but his performances leave me cold. A song or two is about all I can endure.

9. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Bruce is the poster child for why, if you wanna make maximum impact, you look at the big picture. Bruce is The Man because he wasn't trying to have sex with all the female fans; wasn't trying to do more drugs than anyone else, understood more about Humanity and what he could contribute to making a peaceable and civilized society, as opposed to what the "Lead Guitar Players" and some skanky rock stars did. All while giving the paying audience the ride of their life.

But the counterweight to this is, he's demonstrating that "chops" don't matter that much. That puts him at odds with a ton of people at TGP.

I'm not with Pat Healy on this but my cabinet is not full of Springsteen CDs and DVDs, either. I'm immensely impressed with the human being, and the writer, and I think he's a majestic role model for young performers and entertainers. Try to think of circumstances where he embarrassed his fans, his family, his State or his Country. You can't find anything. So even if you prefer to listen to something else most of the time, he is what Greatness is about.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  10. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I've heard him do some cool stuff with his very-limited pentatonic minor vocabulary and some very boring, cliched stuff with the same vocabulary.

11. loudboy

loudboy Member

He shacked up w/Patti while he was still married to what's her name...

Other than that, seems like a great guy.

[​IMG]

InkStained and sahhas like this.
  12. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

That Darkness material is ripe for Bruce's wailing solos.

If you check out Peter Ames Carlin's excellent bio Bruce, which Springsteen contributed to and allowed access to his family and band - warts and all, there's a passage about how, with his GT LP, he was the top gun on the Jersey circuit. But that wasn't gonna make a career.

Much like the Wings On Wheels doc, it's a case study of an incredibly driven personality bent on maximizing talent.

Even if you don't personally like Springsteen, the book and the doc are excellent insights on what it takes to truly make it. There was very little luck with Bruce - he made his breaks. And when he got his shots, he made sure he knew how to take them.

[​IMG]

Turi likes this.
  13. loudboy

loudboy Member

The "Wings On Wheels" doc is what I recommended to every band who came in the studio, who wanted to understand what went into "making it."

14. ellsworthman

ellsworthman Silver Supporting Member

Bruce does a great of of taking what limited soloing skills he has and making them fit in the context of the song. Now if he would only work on his tone a bit. Somebody get him a Klon! :anon

15. Bankston

Bankston Member

I think Bruce is more like Prince as a lead guitarist than Neil Young . . . just pure raw emotion that fits the song. I agree that he's vastly underrated as a guitarist.

16. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Dunno about that comparison. Prince has mad chops, Bruce don't.

17. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Member

Bruce's guitar is a machete/sword, cutting a large swath for his muse.
    Always has had 'it'

(and I'm not really a fan)

Dave Shoop and Turi like this.
  18. JonRock

JonRock Member

There was a clip of Robert Plant on stage wailing on lead guitar way back in the 90s I think but I cant find it right now

If you think of the length of some of these guys careers....it only takes a few years to get going decently on guitar.....any of them could do it

thabassmon likes this.
  19. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

I don't feel Springsteen's chops have ever lessened the effect of a guitar solo in one of his songs. Quite the contrary.

Or Neil Young for that matter...again quite the contrary. I don't think Cinnamon Girl would be better with some triad superimposition at double time with 32nd notes.

Do I want to hear any of them play Cherokee? No. For the same reason I don't want to hear Joe Pass sing "Like A Rolling Stone."

20. sunkidd

sunkidd Silver Supporting Member

+1..... You said it for me!
    I like Rock 'N' Roll, but Bruce and Billy Joel just aren't to me....(see how I slipped Joel in there also?):p

and No, I'm not from Jersey......;)

thabassmon and sixty2strat like this.