1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Is there a more gutsy guitarist than The Boss?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Turi, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

Careful, bro...ur gutsy is another bros wheedling....
    I watched the clips - from 2.05 and from 3:34, those are the parts we should admire, Yeah?

Well, it really was the boss campin' out and wheedling with great gusto - sure raw, and if folks like it, then powerful and awesome! Rock on! Yahoo! Yeah!
    His band members are paid to keep on smilin' and keep on givin' it...

And, hey hey, my my, 'Pentatonic stuff' doesn't mean its not good, nor a dirty word- please check out 'pentatonics' from allan holdworth or scott henderson or robben ford, or shawn lane. Don't sully the name of a perfectly good scale in the name of 'I never quite learned J.B.Goode' rock players.

IMO, the boss was pulling a 'Neil Young' here, rippin' out some lead, 'cause it feels good, and helps make things rockin'! A wonderful burst of energy, and a link to his earliest roots. But, brilliant, or fantastic, - no. Gutsy? sure, why not! For most folks - "The lead singer took a break from singing and played a little guitar, then started singing again"...

2. neosoulchild

neosoulchild Member

I'm not a Boss fan, or a hater.. just indifferent, really. I've heard some of his songs, not my thing, but I recognize he must be a good songwriter to get to where he has..
    I watched the video.. he plays a bit stiff, the other guitarist is way more natural. The solo was kinda weak and out of place. I'm all for emotive techniques, that's pretty much my style, but I don't think it works for this song. Kinda seems like the other guys are just like, "Wtf?"

3. Alister

Alister Member

I don't think Jon Landau and Jann Wenner get nearly enough credit for the gutsy emotion and showmanship of Bruce Springsteen.

jog and Heinz57Pep like this.
  4. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I'm kinda the same way, probably because my (now) ex-wife liked him so much. That said, it can't be denied that he's an energetic performer, a prolific songwriter, and a much better guitar player than some would probably expect.

5. dansworld

dansworld Gold Supporting Member

Thank you.

6. dansworld

dansworld Gold Supporting Member

Springsteen doesn't need to be a "guitar hero" because he simply is a HERO.

7. m1911

m1911 Member

While I don't care for Prince's music, I believe he is head and shoulders above the other mentioned here with regard to playing ability.....
    Some guys with lesser fingerboard savvy appear to be working too hard to make a fluid solo happen.....almost like they are at war or wrestling with the instrument.
    Then there are those who appear to be clearly in charge and "own" their instrument......like Prince demonstrates here....

PS: I think Eric Clapton, Peter Green, Duane Allman, SRV, Mick Taylor, James Burton, Vince Gill, Brad Paisley have/had it too....

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    neosoulchild likes this.
  8. neosoulchild

neosoulchild Member

I agree, but Prince is on a higher level as a guitarist, and should not be included with those guys.

9. Turi

Turi Member

Sorry mate, Allan Holdsworth, Scott Henderson, Robben Ford and Shawn Lane are all names that do nothin' for me. Three jazz-bluez dudes and a shredder.
    Yeah nah. It's cool, we just obviously prefer different things. Which is totally cool.

You yourself say the solo "helps make things rockin'", and is a "wonderful burst of energy" and a "link to his earliest roots" and agree it's "gutsy", I think you're diggin' it and don't want to admit it. It you can still say all those things about it, how is it not brilliant?

I think you're way way way way (I can't put enough "way" in here to properly emphasise the word without it taking all day) off the mark about the "most folks" would think its the "lead singer took a break from singing and player a little guitar" thing.
    Miles off the mark. Universes off the mark.

Most people are not guitar critics. Most people would watch that solo and be absolutely blown away by the awesomness and sheer power of it.
    Most people would dig that. This can't even be argued, really.
    You need to edit your post to change the word "most" to be "a tiny percentage of TGP".

10. Turi

Turi Member

Prince is awesome, I've already said that.. but what makes him on higher level compared to the others?
    Is it because they play rock and he plays kinda funky stuff?

He's got some great chops, but so do the rest of them. I think Prince is another epic guitarist who just "feels" the music and can get his solos to hit you how he wants 'em to.

How is he on a higher level than the others?

I've watched that clip of him doing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and love it - definitely not arguing he's an amazing guitarist, I love his guitar work.
    I'm kinda curious if you put him on a "higher level" because he plays funky sorta music.
    I keep seeing these funky/jazzy/fusion dudes always being put on higher levels than other players and I don't understand it because to me it's just a different style of music no more no less than rock stuff.

11. neosoulchild

neosoulchild Member

If you watched both clips, you would not be seriously asking this question.
    I'm not trying to be off putting, but you can't be serious putting those guys up with Prince as a guitar player.

12. Turi

Turi Member

I don't think we should compare guitarists from just one clip each man.
    I think they both rock way hard (not familiar with Petty or Neil Youngs guitar work). I love both the Boss and Prince equally as guitarists.

I think they're both fantastic and I wouldn't say one is better than the other.
    Prince has more technical skills as well as being able to get the emotion/feeling into his guitar work as well, whereas Bruce has more of a raw power approach to it - they both get the same message across to me, just in different ways.

I love both of them. I was just curious why you thought Prince was a higher level than the others.
    It can't just be from that one clip can it?

You heard the full version of Purple Rain? Epic.

neosoulchild likes this.
  13. neosoulchild

neosoulchild Member

I pretty much agree with everything you're saying.. I guess it comes down to what you like personally.. but as a guitarist, which I'm assuming that you are, Prince is on a whole 'nother stratosphere as far as a guitar player.. I mean, just basing off the 2 clips in this thread, it's not even close.
    I'll assume you're not familiar with Prince's work, which is fine.. but you've stated that you've heard Purple Rain.. I mean, if you've heard that, and you still feel like Springsteen is in the same ballpark as a guitarist, we're just gonna have to respectably disagree.

Gas-man likes this.
  14. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I didn't read the whole thread, has Bruce put on weight??

15. Turi

Turi Member

I'm familiar with Princes work! They're both getting the same message across though.
    I see them both as equals. I know Bruce hasn't got the chops or elegance that Prince has, but man I just dig Bruce's raw, powerful playing.
    Prince has some great raw stuff too though.

I personally can't say one is better than the other, they're both too different, playing totally different styles of music and I love both of them. :/

neosoulchild likes this.
  16. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

No, but he's announced he's running for President.

17. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

I love this clip!

dude stands toe to toe with james burton
    and actually IMO I like what he plays better. His tone is way better as well.
    go Boss!

Turi likes this.
  18. Turi

Turi Member

Here's the same song as in the OP, more guitar time though.

Screw any naysayers, The Boss hits the spot for me, freaking love his guitar work.

19. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

His playing does nothing for me. I got Born To Run the first week it came out on vinyl. He did nothing for me then, and 40 years later still does nothing for me. My GF loves him. To each his/her own. As my mother used to say, "That's why Heinz makes 57 varieties".

BriSol likes this.
  20. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I totally agree with Pee Wee Herman in that Cheech and Chong movie.