1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Is there a more gutsy guitarist than The Boss?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Turi, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Turi

Turi Member

Cool dude.
    Is there a more gutsy guitarist than him though?

2. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Gutsy? What is "gutsy"?

3. Turi

Turi Member

Cool man. Totally relevant to his guitar playing.

4. Turi

Turi Member

Raw. Powerful. Feeling. Going for it. Tearin' it up. Etc etc.
    You know exactly what I mean.

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

It is to me. I think his guitar playing is nothing special. I don't think any of us would have ever heard of him if he was the "Guitar player" from some band.

6. Teleplayer

I saw Eddie Van Halen twice in the late 70s; saw Billy Gibbons in 1975; saw Ray White with Zappa in the 70s; saw SRV in 1985 (strung out) and 1988 (clean); saw Kerry Livgren on the original Kansas farewell tour; saw Johnny Winter/Bob Margolin/Muddy Waters together on stage; saw Steve Morse in the 80s, 90s and 2000s. And on and on and on. So yeah, I have seen some pretty powerful, raw, feeling "going for it", "tearing it up" guitar players. Let's not even get into cats like Hendrix, Prince, Lil' Ed, Eddie Clearwater, Clapton when he was with Cream and on and on and on.

Bruce Springsteen doesn't even make my Top 50 list. Again, to each his own. Just not my cup 'o tea.

Wyatt Martin, BriSol and Floyd Eye like this.
  7. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

He sounds exactly like the guys trying out R9's at Daves!

Turi likes this.
  8. bloozeman1

bloozeman1 Supporting Member

Have you ever heard him when he played with Steel Mill or Dr Zoom and the Sonic Boom? You just may change your opinion. Too many people have their perspective on the commercial side of Springsteen and havent heard what he's done in the early years, pre BTR or Darkness and even before Greetings. He was a monster player in Steel Mill, Had killer blues and R&B riffs in the Sundance Blues Band.

dazar likes this.
  9. Teleplayer

No. Sounds cool. Any links to vids or older recordings?

10. Turi

Turi Member

History kinda proves you wrong dude.
    He pretty much made his name as a kickass guitarist before "Greetings".

I think no matter what direction he took, the world would always have known his name.

No worries mate, only ones there that'd make my top 50 are SRV, Billy Gibbons and Prince.
    Each to their own.

11. bloozeman1

bloozeman1 Supporting Member

No video, but there's bootlegs of it out there, I have a bunch of boots from the steel mill, dr zoom, bruce springsteen band and a few of the sundance band, and a couple of the castilles when he was 16 playing gigs at the local ymca. theres torrents out there for springsteen specifically if youre into it. stone pony london is a great place to start to get a hold of that material, once you get "in" with the community.

12. big hair

big hair Member

what's clear reading this is everyones idea of a guitar "god" is very different!

Personally I love BS. I stumbled upon this thread because I'm trying to find out what amps Springsteen currently used on his most recent tours. I have the live in Hyde Park (Born in the USA album in full) DVD and it looks like at the side of his two Marshall 4x12s is a Mesa Combo? Maybe a lonestar or something like that?

13. mikebat

mikebat Member

I dig him.

When I started singing, I started to break strings like I never had before. I realized "I must be playing as hard as Bruce does".

How does he not blow at least one string per song playing that hard?

I switched to much lighter picks (.60, instead of .88) and a heavier gauge of string (11-56 vs 10-46)

14. dazar

dazar Member

C'mon guys! The man has been a professional musician and guitar player for over 50 years; clearly he knows his way around the fretboard and can hang with best of them. He probably (like Keith Richards) knows and can play stuff that is much deeper and complex than what goes on his records or at his shows.

15. Sam Hill

Sam Hill Member

Arnold Schwarzenegger has been around film sets since the 70's; clearly his acting skills are much deeper and more complex than what goes on in his films. ;)

16. keefsdad

keefsdad Member

Darkness is my favorite album of his and I love his lead guitar on it.

chrisjw5 likes this.
  17. lhallam

lhallam Member

Back in his "Steel Mill" days, my Richmond friends talked more about his guitar playing than anything else.

18. 1967SG

1967SG Member

I think of him as a songwriter and singer. Can you post a vid of him playing guitar like the best of them?:D:D:D

19. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

Depends on our individual definitions of "the best of them", doesn't it?

dazar likes this.
  20. Lance

Lance Member

Agreed. I don't get what people see in him, tbh. One of my favs. is Jerry Garcia, and he gets ripped on all the time on this board, for some reason.