1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Is there a more gutsy guitarist than The Boss?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Turi, Aug 5, 2015.

1. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

Lance likes this.
  2. Ps28

Ps28 Member

Not a fan but seems like a decent guy.

3. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I'm a huge Springsteen fan and have been for many years. He's definitely an influence on me. I think he's a fantastic player. He's got a very raw and nasty tone when he really goes for it. Definitely check out some of his live DVDs. Fantastic stuff. I'm especially a fan of the Live In New York DVD. Some seriously awesome stuff on there.

4. Jonny1275

Jonny1275 Member

Playing a lead on something that essentially is your stage prop. :D :hide

Sam Hill and BriSol like this.
  5. 1967SG

1967SG Member

Guitar Player mag used to run "best guitarist" annually. People like Al DiMeola won - actually 5 times in row. This was way back in the 70's. I probably would think Bruce would never win, but I respect his song crafting very much.

BriSol likes this.
  6. gpasq

gpasq Member

I play in a Springsteen tribute, and have learned most (many?) of his and Stephen guitar parts. Neither of them are guitar gods, but both of them are way better than adequate, and they both TOTALLY bring it in damn near every show. So yeah, he's gutsy as hell, in my book!

keefsdad, boldaslove1977 and GGinMP like this.
  7. cxx

cxx Member

Bruce wanted so badly to be a guitar player, but he was saved by his producer of the early albums. Put the guitar hero stuff aside and sang/played the tunes. Changed the world. Best thing that ever happened to him.

You can hear it when he fired that guy. More bad guitar playing on the albums. By then he was already "it".

8. prototype

prototype Member

when I think of raw, gutsy guitar players I think of Rory Gallagher.

Sam Hill likes this.
  9. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

Bruce is better guitar player than 97% + of TGP, as is Billy Joel's guitarist, Tommy Byrnes.

dazar and gpasq like this.
  10. 1967SG

1967SG Member

Again, I asked for a vid of some cool playing by him. Will you be the one?:D:D:D

I think Darryl Hall surprised me by some of his playing on his tv show. Maybe Bruce can as well.

BriSol likes this.
  11. Kennybeeinfl

Kennybeeinfl Member

Even Dylan became competent on electric guitar. Bruce obviously made the right choice and put side his guitar hero aspirations to focus on the songs,vocals and performance. Never a fan of his albums but saw him live 3 times and he and the band were great. I never went to these shows expecting to hear great guitar solos. His playing functions well within the whole band presentation and that's enough. It's all about the songs.

dazar, 1967SG and Sam Hill like this.
  12. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

It's not one song, or, one solo, it's an entire show.

1967SG likes this.
  13. 1967SG

1967SG Member

Hey, that's cool. I get your viewpoint. Not his biggest fan as he was over saturated to me as an artist. But, I would not turn down that kind of success story. From the times he is on, I saw he was more like John Mellencamp. Singing mainly and has a dedicated guitarist or two to do the heavy lifting.

T92780 likes this.
  14. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

I thought this necro-thread had to be about the great Ross Friedman, also known as Ross the Boss, of both The Dictators and Manowar.

I knew of him as THE “Ross the Boss” before I’d heard of Springsteen so I suspect he retains the naming rights at least among TGP guitar enthusiasts.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    tribalfusion likes this.
  15. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Both! Then knick Old Crossed-arms’ girlfriend!

I like BS if the ESB is with him. Have not heard since CC and likely won’t. Bruce can make a rock move on the guitar.

16. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

FWIW - I was into Bruce in high school, especially the first 4 albums, though I was 10 years behind their release dates. Now? I respect the hell out him but I'm not a huge fan. I was disappointed by the Broadway show.

That having been said, this is pretty great. For my tastes, it beats out anything by Al DiMeloa, though to be fair, Al and Bruce have as much in common as oranges and anvils. It's not the best vocal rendition I've ever heard, but this - to me - is some scorching guitar. It's what 'tough' sounds like.

The guitar break at 2:30 is dirty, and sets up Clarence for the sax solo perfectly. It's all about texture.

Check out the guitar break at 1:30... (you'll also notice that I think Darkness is his best guitar album)

So there you go. Some like it, some don't.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    keefsdad, 1967SG and GGinMP like this.
  17. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Short answer: Yes.

BriSol likes this.
  18. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

"The Boss" does'nt play guitar. She also never says anything to me when my gig wagon comes up the drive at 4am after I do a gig off in BF Egypt somewhere.

That's why she is The Boss. That and her amazing cooking.

19. 1967SG

1967SG Member

Thanks, that was more him playing guitar that I have seen in media than all of the 80-90's combined. I would never compared Bruce to Al D. - apples to oranges anyway yes. Each his has his strengths.

20. BriSol

BriSol Member

I'm not sure what "gutsy" means. But I never viewed Springsteen as a guitar icon, but as a sort of "American roots" singer-songwriter with pop-crossover appeal. It's not that I expect him to be a wild shredder or to play me some epic jazz-fusion, there are just tons of other guitarists who come to mind as being way better who are in some sort of "rootsy" zone of music. I won't bash his guitar playing, but Roy Buchanan, Danny Gatton, or Albert Lee seem like real guitar heroes in comparison to me, if we're sticking to "American roots" related artists. He doesn't even have one toe in that kind of water as a guitar player. So I don't understand the guitar enthusiasm for him in the thread.

1967SG likes this.