Is there a Muff in a Zvex type chassis?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ummohyeah, Feb 10, 2015.

1. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

Good morning,

I'm getting into the "final phase" of my next pedal board build and I have one spot for a pedal, in which a Zvex style pedal (think Fuzz Factory) would fit perfectly. I don't want to turn any pedals sideways (I already have one like this due to necessity), and I need a Muff style (not standard fuzz). I know that with the Fuzz Factory I can get into some almost Muff area, but I want something that will really give me that classic Big Muff sound.

[​IMG]

Any suggestions? I can't seem to find anything that matches this and am afraid I may have to build my own.

PS, on a similar note, if anyone knows of a Tubescreamer in this same style, let me know...

2. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

Most people hate the horizontal style enclosures so not many people use them but most builders could make one for you if they drill their own enclosures.

3. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

For your tubescreamer request:

[​IMG]

4. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

:aok

Thank you sir.

Now, to find a (not so) Big Muff...

5. tuj

tuj Member

Not quite a muff, but sounds way better IMHO: Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom XS+

[​IMG]

6. Perchman

Perchman Member

Uhhh...Mastotron??!! It go do Muff and waaaay more if that's what you need.

7. Dubious

Dubious Member

mastotron - i replaced my muff with it.. and it beat out a hoof and swollen pickle for the spot on my board.

8. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

That's a beautiful pedal. Thank you for the suggestion, I've bookmarked their site.

Mastotron, really? Everything I heard put that in the "out there" category, with the Velcro-noises and all. I'll give it another consideration. Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming.

9. chrismellotron

chrismellotron Member

I have a Mastotron, but I don't consider it very Muffy, IMO.

10. kdc113

kdc113 Member

Not the style you want but mabe fits:

[​IMG]

11. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

That's what my impression is as well. The Mastotron seems very "grouchy," lots of treble and bite, not enough off that smooth hump that comes with the Muff (which is, I suppose, not exactly a fuzz pedal by definition).

12. Dubious

Dubious Member

the mastotron has a PW dial - on the far right it does velcro tones - on the far left it's smooth. The push knob also adds / subtracts harshness.

there's additionally a 3 position toggle that will do bass boost, normal, and bass cut.

My problem with the muff is that it got LOST in the band mix most of the time - also wasn't nearly loud enough. The masto is LOUD, and with the bass boost on it's MASSIVE.

i have a FF so i do tend to use it on the velcro settings.. but in the studio i get everything from muff flavors to velcro / fuzz factory tones.

but no it doesn't have that scooped tone the muff does - which ime made it dissapear in the band mix

13. axm.88

axm.88 Member

Fuzzalo or Mastotron, your pick. Also mooer, but i like supporting independents.

14. Perchman

Perchman Member

On the the Mastotron, I normally keep the PW to the left for a smoother fuzz and keep the bass toggle either in the middle (normal) or on the boost setting.

I just said this in a different thread, but the Mastotron is really great when you roll back on your guitar's volume. I call it a transparent Muff when used like that.

But it can do waaay more than this if you want to experiment. Velcro city is in there.