Is there a noticeable difference in tone capacitors?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Mrjoelv, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Mrjoelv

Mrjoelv Member

For the tone control on a Gibson style guitar can you hear the difference between brands like Hovland MusiCap Capacitors, Vitamin Q Oil & Paper Capacitors, Orange Drop Capacitors, Mallory Series 150 Metalized Polyester Capacitors or Ceramic Disk Capacitors? Is it worth the extra $10.00 for the higher end caps?

2. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

3. jamison162

jamison162 Member

4. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

There will be a difference when you change the dielectric. Some materials make better (more ideal) capacitors than others. This list (arranged from worst dielectric to best..considering only non-polar types) would be:

ceramic (Z5U) (If these are in your guitar...change em)
    silver mica
    metalized polyester
    polyester (or mylar)
    metalized
    polypropylene (and C0G NP0 cermics)
    polycarbonate
    polystyrene (careful when soldering these)
    teflon

I don't know anything about paper and oil, but it sounds like audiophile territory to me.

Differences between brands of caps using the same dielectric would be less noticeable than changes of dielectric itself...

Cheers,

Kris

5. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

You can definitely tell a difference. Whether you like it better is another thing alltogether. It's easy to test on a Gibson. Just take the cap out of the guitar and use alligator clips to put different caps in and out of the circuit while you play the guitar.

For what it's worth, after spending way too much time obsessing over the changes made by different caps I now have stock caps in all of my guitars (Fender, Gibson, PRS) and they all sound fine the way they came ;)

6. Mrjoelv

Mrjoelv Member

Awesome, thanks for the input. The other thread has lot of info as well, going to take a while to read it all.

:BEER

7. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I bought a Carvin .022 cap a while back and it sounds wonderful. I can't remember what type it is. But it's square and yellowish. It sounds better than a whole bunch of mylar I own. So I'd say there is a difference.