Is there a pedal that gets that old ZZ Top, 1963 Fender brownface Deluxe 6g3 sound?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Burstbucker, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

After doing much research on how Billy Gibbons got those beautiful tube crunch tones on the first three ZZ Top records it appears the amp used was probably a '63 Fender brownface Deluxe 6g3 cranked to the max.

I know that there are some pedals out there that aim at the old Tweed era tones but is there something that nails that low wattage Fender brownface Deluxe tone? I think that that amp was only putting out like 15 watts.

I remember hearing a couple of clips of the Wampler '57 Tweed, I think that is what it was called and that certainly did get quite close to the brownface tone from what I could tell but I'm not sure that Wampler is even still making that pedal.

Any suggestions out there?

2. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Lovepedal Brownface Deluxe?

monkmiles likes this.
  3. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Supporting Member

The Crazy Tube Circuits Falcon has a switch that allows you to choose between tweed and brownface. I haven't tried one in person, but all demos sound great.

4. charley

charley Silver Supporting Member

Bearfoot Honey Bee

Don Rusk likes this.
  5. ChristianDK

ChristianDK Member

Mythos Chupacabra or Origin Effects Revival Drive.

There was another thread about this not too long ago... try the searching for it.

6. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

I get those tones easily with an LP Gold top w 57 classics and an AC20.

On a side note: In 1978 I had an all access backstage pass for ZZT at Tarrant Co Convention Center. I spent most of the show just off stage in the wings watching BG do his thing. He had a wall of Marshalls behind him.
    At one point in the show I wandered back behind the stacks and noticed none of them had any connection cables...they were just a stage prop. Behind the wall of cabs was a Mesa 1 x 12, one of the early Mark series amps, with an SM57 set in a table top stand in front of it. That was his rig. He still does that same thing today. Different amp, mounted in an IsoBox offstage, but same stage prop thing, just cooler looking.

if you haven't seen this, it's worth a watch

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  7. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

Thanks to everyone for chiming in.

It's pretty clear that Billy's studio rig and Billy's live rig were two totally different things, I'm really looking for that studio tone from the early records.

8. ballynally

ballynally Member

As always, pedals can only shape the EQ unless it has clipping circuits or is a modeling device.
    An amp, like a Deluxe, has a certain circuit in which all the elements work together.
    A pedal can never be more than a proximation.
    I'm not dissing the attempt but my view has always been that a pedal is an EQ/clipping preamp w various results.
    A model of a certain amp might be a more successful attempt, creating a perceived output sound.
    One can include the speaker in that or not.

SG-Slinger likes this.
  9. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

10. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

First album is 100% marshall plexi also the 2nd and 3rd ones have a lot of marshall in...

11. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Member

This pedal, while INCREDIBLE, will not get you there. It is a way low gainer. Just nowhere near enough gain.
    My 6g3 did early ZZ with buckers around 5-7 on the dial, or jumpered. Tighter than a 5e3 and Marshall like, but darker and chewier. Diming a 6g3 results in an overly compressed mess that doesn’t sound good to my ears...but up to 8 is glorious.
    My Red Llama pedal sounds quite similar to the 6g3 that I had...chewy, grindy, from clean to mean.
    My Les Lius nails tweed, the Llama owns Brown for me.

Kilometers Davis and monkmiles like this.
  12. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

Never would have thought of a Red Llama, I will give one a try if I ever come across one. Thanks for the tip!

13. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

Fulltone Mas Malo pretty much nails that early ZZ tone

So does a Les Paul through a Plexi-type circuit ;)

14. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Member

Red Llama, Greer Southland is worth a try too

Feverdog likes this.
  15. Don Rusk

Don Rusk BearFoot FX Owner

Good place to start... Dyna Red is my Billy in a box Plexi half stack ... the Sparkling Yellow is more Blonde/Brown Face....

Flatscan likes this.
  16. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Most all pedals have clipping and EQ capabilities. This has been the case for 40 plus years. They afford far more than EQ matching.

Brian Mena and others really pushed this idea beginning in the 90s. I recommend his pedals to you.

HeavyCream and RYAN1987M like this.
  17. apalazzolo

apalazzolo Supporting Member

... until you realize that a soup-to-nuts approach like the Greer Soma is worthless if you plug it into a guitar amp that has characteristics all its own. Assuming, that pedal does what it says it does, you need to use it with a very linear amplifier and speaker setup ... FRFR or a typical hifi stereo. If you use it with a blackface amp (for example) it will sound like a brownface amp played through a blackface amp.

I've never heard anyone say that that is the trick to nailing the Reverend's tone.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  18. tronus

tronus Member

What was that octagon dirt box? Didn't they string a bunch of those together?

19. Howlin1

Howlin1 Member

Bixonic Expandora, but that's later ZZ Top, e.g., Rhythmeen. And they were round shaped.