Is There A Phaser That:

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GA20T, Dec 7, 2016.

1. GA20T

GA20T Member

• excels at smooth, subtle modulation for clean sounds a la Some Girls?
    • is capable of a pretty authentic/classic univibe at extreme settings?

The MXR Phase 100 block RI I had years back seemed to do these things quite well (Keef has stated it was the Phase 100 he used on Some Girls), but I remember thinking it (the reissue) could have had more control, and could have sounded a little subtler/warmer on top at certain times. I'd mostly be using it clean or with slight breakup, no EVH.

There are so many out there and I don't really know where to start looking. A good Phaser is the last piece of the puzzle for me. I like what I hear with the Providence via demos. So before I pick up a used Providence (or just grab another ugly, heavy MXR 100) any other suggestions for boxes with warm, smooth, natural clean sounds that also sound great used as a vibe, perhaps in a smaller, less Cheeto enclosure than the 100? $200 or less is ideal, cheap is great too.

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  2. dbagchee

dbagchee Supporting Member

Have you tried the MXR Univibe? It's basically a tweaked phaser. I really like it for subtle cleans and has a nice throb to it at more extreme settings. I like it best at the front of the FX chain, sounds a little extreme after dirt for me.

Kaji and GA20T like this.
  3. GA20T

GA20T Member

I haven't, but I will. I think they have them in my local box store. Thanks for the rec.

4. Kaji

Kaji Member

I don't know how authentic it would sound to OP, but the BOSS PH-3 is capable of a uni-vibe kind of sound when set a certain way. Rate at 12:00, depth at 2, res at 4, and at stage 10. It is digital, mind you, so keep that in mind.

dbagchee's recommendation is probably better though.

5. seiko

seiko Member

I would grab a DOD Phasor 201 for $40 and experiment with placing, before/after OD etc.

6. seiko

seiko Member

Although that will do subtle as well as vibey, but you're not get the gutter water "Shattered" sound out of it. Need something with a good resonance control for the that. So if you want the more extreme sounds that could be an issue. I'd start looking into the Source Audio Gemini at that point.

7. GA20T

GA20T Member

Now that you mention it, the SA might be a real safe bet for me. I love the Vertigo and all it's internal controls & EQ. Forgot they made a One Series Phaser.. Plus, I'd get access to their chorus & flanger sounds too IIRC. Seems like the Vertigo (unfortunately) is the only one that doesn't do this.

Found a custom shop script reissue 90 locally, but it's a bit of a drive to check it out.

8. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Cheap = 201

Not cheap and not small = VFE, Diamond, Empress set for 2 stages

Tom Von Kramm likes this.
  9. niassist

niassist Garage Rock Star Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of the Mr. Black Gilamondo. Really versatile and covers a lot of ground.

GA20T likes this.
  10. Mullenski

Mullenski Gold Supporting Member

Keeley Phase 24 can do that.

GA20T likes this.
  11. rsm

rsm Member

12. jcs

jcs Member

My block logo MXR Phase 100 is one I will never sell....it does certain things so well.

Otoh, I am a cheap Phaser junky of sorts....Ross Phaser (Taiwan) is great...DOD FX20B is good for some things...Boss Super Phaser PH-2 as well as MXR Phase 90....even a lowly Ibanez PH7 Tone Lok has a few cool sounds too.

All were bought for dirt cheap used....I just LOVE chaining 4 or 5 on a board and switching between them...lot of fun!

13. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

The MXR Phase 95 can switch between the two-stage more vibe-type phaser and a four-stage Phase 90 style.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016