Is there a reason to buy new when you can get the same guitar used?

Rick Towne

Praise & Western
Gold Supporting Member
The guitar in question is a Larrivee D-03 (spruce/mahogany dreadnought). There is no opportunity to play either before buying. Is there any benefit to buying the older broken in guitar other than a reasonable price difference?

guitararmy

For me the only reason to buy a new Larrivee over an older one would be the maple binding on the newer ones vs the black binding on the older ones....Larrivees are pretty consistent whether old or new. They have gone up in price quite a bit over the last 10 years so you might be able to get a good price on an old one.

202dy

Buying used guitars is like buying used anything. It doesn't matter if it's guitars, houses, or cars, if you know what you're doing it will always produce the best prices. Knowing what you're doing means knowing current pricing including MSRP, street, used street, and the wholesale ranges; basic maintenance and repair practices or have access to them; and be able to rate the condition and function accurately. The last one is a skill that takes some time to learn because it isn't just good, better, best.

Warranty: When it comes to most things, they either built it right or they didn't. If it's used it's had some time to exist in the world. If the guitar is right, it's right and a warranty is superfluous. If the guitar (car, house, major appliance, doo dad, gee gaw) isn't right, don't buy it. Unless you have the skills to repair it, access to the parts, and can buy for a price that allows you to pay yourself for your time just walk away.

jonnytexas

Buying used guitars is like buying used anything. It doesn't matter if it's guitars, houses, or cars, if you know what you're doing it will always produce the best prices. Knowing what you're doing means knowing current pricing including MSRP, street, used street, and the wholesale ranges; basic maintenance and repair practices or have access to them; and be able to rate the condition and function accurately. The last one is a skill that takes some time to learn because it isn't just good, better, best.

Warranty: When it comes to most things, they either built it right or they didn't. If it's used it's had some time to exist in the world. If the guitar is right, it's right and a warranty is superfluous. If the guitar (car, house, major appliance, doo dad, gee gaw) isn't right, don't buy it. Unless you have the skills to repair it, access to the parts, and can buy for a price that allows you to pay yourself for your time just walk away.

Perfectly put.

rwmct

Buying used can work out very well, but you are taking a chance if you can't check out the instrument ahead of time. Or even if you can check it out, if you don't have the knowledge to property evaluate it.

It can work out very well, though. I just bought an absolutely mint 2011 Guild F-30 std. It is everything it was represented it would be. Looks brand new. I have seen new instruments in stores that did not look as good as this one. I bought it sight unseen, but had some comfort in that I was buying from a respected longtime member of the Guild forum.

Rick Towne

Praise & Western
Gold Supporting Member
Good comments so far. One point not yet mentioned is that with paypal payment for the used guitar, all the leverage is on the buyer side. ThHe new guitar would have a three day return period.

I've had both new and used over the years, and each was a different situation. The new gloss finish Larrivees tended to be stiffer; the satin finished guitars (the -03) models were better.

dazco

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but the majority of guitars that develop issues with wood warping, twisting cracks, etc, happen within the first few years for obvious reasons. So buying a guitar thats a few years old is IMO a safer bet. Chances are very good you'll never need it tho if you buy a 8 or 10 year old guitar. Plus you get the advantage of any positive tonal changes that happen in the first few years which can be considerable, and if it goes the opposite way you'll know that when you demo it. All in all i feel it's very advantageous. The only negative i see is if the warranty isn't transferable. But for several reasons i don't put a lot of stock in warranties, but thats your call. Assuming of course there IS one since if it's not lifetime chances are it's over anyways.

Rick Towne

Praise & Western
Gold Supporting Member
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but the majority of guitars that develop issues with wood warping, twisting cracks, etc, happen within the first few years for obvious reasons. So buying a guitar thats a few years old is IMO a safer bet. Chances are very good you'll never need it tho if you buy a 8 or 10 year old guitar. Plus you get the advantage of any positive tonal changes that happen in the first few years which can be considerable, and if it goes the opposite way you'll know that when you demo it. All in all i feel it's very advantageous. The only negative i see is if the warranty isn't transferable. But for several reasons i don't put a lot of stock in warranties, but thats your call. Assuming of course there IS one since if it's not lifetime chances are it's over anyways.
Thanks. All of this makes sense because (1) the used guitar is more than a few years old, going back to the Larrivee clear pickguard days, which I prefer; and (2) the Larrivee factory in Oxnard is 15 miles from my office.

I bought a new bass once, and after two weeks, I returned it.
Every 2nd day, I would have to re-tune it, and the action was getting higher.
The neck was creeping forward.
The seller was willing to do a setup to correct the problem, but I wasn't interested.

Floridaplayer

With a Larry it would be much better to go used as they do not hold their value like a Taylor or Martin.
With a Gibby, Taylor, or Martin...no big deal to buy new, they hold their value so well, the warranty is worth it,

Rick Towne

Praise & Western
Gold Supporting Member
With a Larry it would be much better to go used as they do not hold their value like a Taylor or Martin.
With a Gibby, Taylor, or Martin...no big deal to buy new, they hold their value so well, the warranty is worth it,
Except that the Larrivee fits the sweet spot between the booming M and the trebly T. In my example the used is 80% of the cost of the new.

Old guitar (probably) will sound better, but be worse cosmetically. New guitar will have a warranty and be perfect cosmetically. What matters more to you?

202dy

Advertised is one thing. Actual price tag (street price) is another. Negotiated price is another.

There are restrictions on advertising price.

If the price you are quoted is eighty percent of the street price it could be a good deal. That hinges on condition. For that price the guitar should be near mint condition. That's is one or two minor-very minor-cosmetic blemishes. If the guitar does not meet that standard negotiation is in order.

Trending Topics