1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Is there a "Screamer" type pedal with a natural sounding EQ ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ChrisGS, Sep 21, 2006.

1. ChrisGS

ChrisGS Member

I have a couple of Screamer-type pedals TS10 , OD808 , Fulldrive 1 , SD 1 , and a friend has a TS808 reissue , and a Sparkle Drive...Out of all of them , I think that the OD808 and the TS808 ri have the least "gritty" distortion quality . All of the pedals have the "midrange hump"...The OD808 was modded to increase the bass , but it still has the "Sreamer midrange"

A couple of (Non-Screamer based) pedals that have a more natural sounding EQ are a Boss OD-3 , and a Crowther Hotcake...But they have a grittier type of distortion .

I want to find a pedal that has the TS808/OD808 non-gritty distortion coupled with the more natural EQ of the Hotcake and the OD-3 .

Anyone have some suggestions ?

Thanks for any advise,
    Chris.

2. jero

jero Member

The Red Snapper should get you there

3. Wooley

Wooley Member

Clark Gainster

4. Eirik

Eirik Member

Well, the xotic AC booster is pretty much a tubescreamer circuit. But the bauxtandall tonestack helps to flatten out the mids, making it sound a lot less tubescreamerish.

5. Brick

Brick Member

6. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

Monte Allums mod on an SD-1. Flat eq, smooth gain.

7. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

+1 on the BBD. Amazingly tweakable, almost too tweakable.

8. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

9. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

The Pedalworx Texas Two-Step is basically a TS/FD2 type pedal. After much knob-tweaking, etc., I find it a bit more transparent and amp-like than other TS-style pedals I've used. It's still a TS-type pedal (with midhump), though -- albeit a really excellent one.

10. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Nobody has recommended one because he asked for a TS type/non-gritty od. The OCD is very unlike a TS and is very gritty.

It is hard for me to tell if you want no mid emphasis or just not as much as a TS. I would say the Eternity would get you close to what you are describing, but it still has some mid emphasis. The BJFE LGW is a great pedal in the TS vein that is not dominated with compression or too much mid emphasis, yet it does have some extra mids. It can get pretty clean and go to higher gain than a normal TS pedal, yet can be very smooth too.
    The Clark Gainster is another good recommendation. It is a great, smooth od, yet it is voiced much like a tweed amp and is a little heavy on the mids too. But, with the tone knob turned up, it get nice and bright too.

11. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

HBE PowerScreamer
    (check out the recent threads about it)

12. fatback

fatback Member

I can't argue with Brick's suggestion. ;) I'd also look into the Cusack.

I just heard the Cusack Screamer for the first time when Duende brought the Cusack tour-board by the other night. I was very impressed. If I was in the market for another tube screamer I would be picking one up. Right now I'm really g.a.s.ing for his Screamer Fuzz, another killer pedal.

:AOK

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The Foxrox Zim has it covered. It has a semi-parametric mid on the second channel, so you can dial out the midhump on your TS9 circuit...

14. Occam

Occam Member

To me, asking for a tube screamer with no mid-bump is like asking Gibson to build you a Strat...it just misses the point and takes away the intrinsic nature of the object. The aggressive, grunt of the tube screamer comes from that mid-range, it's just a matter of finding the right flavor and strength of boosted mid's.

15. rewog

rewog Member

+1. If it's got a flat eq - it's not a Screamer type pedal.

16. Wooley

Wooley Member

Yeah, I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but I gotta agree with you guys on this one. A tubescreamer is a compressed, midrange-accentuating OD. If it's not compressed and mid-heavy, then it's really not a tubescreamer, regardless of the chips or circuit design. Know what I mean?
    That said, the Barber LTD Silver supposedly covers this territory.