is there a speaker that is as loud as an eminence swamp thang?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kurt1981, Jan 28, 2015.

1. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Hey guys, got a swamp thang in a 2x12 cab and love it, just wondering are there any other speakers with a similar sensitivity rating? At 103 DB, it kind of overpowers most other speakers I try to pair with it. I know the obvious answer is get another, but I do like the idea of mixing speakers, maybe something that pushes mids a bit more.
    Thanks, just wondering what you guys think, not really into the v30 thing, fyi.
    Thanks,
    Kurt

2. troublehead

troublehead Member

The new Avatar Hellatone Ceramic 25 is the loudest speaker I have ever used. They completely buried the Vintage 30's I paired them with....thats hard to do!

3. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I personally think Eminence rates their speaker efficiency a bit liberally... For example, I didn't find the Red Fang overpowering compared to similarly voiced Celestions that are rated 100db. I used to have a couple Swamp Thang speakers, but it was years ago. The thing is they have TONS of bass and I'd imagine a lot of the energy goes into pushing those frequencies (as opposed to mids that cut through the band mix). If your not into V30's, which would be the epitome of an efficient midrange-voiced speaker, consider a Celestion Gold or Red Fang: still very mid-focused and loud, but warmer rather than piercing mids (like the V30). I really like the Mesa C90 / G12-80 (not so much the CL80) for fuller mids than an American speaker (like the Swamp Thang), not piercing like the V30, and a bit more treble than a Celestion Gold (or Red Fang). I'm using an old G12-80 modified by Steamboat.

4. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Member

I pair my Swamp Thang with a Wizard in a 2X12 cab. Good combination to my ears!

5. BluesLou

BluesLou Member

6. pj1967

pj1967 Member

7. IbanezRokr

IbanezRokr Member

I came here also to say this. Swamp Thangs and Wizard's in a custom 4X12. Works great.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  8. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

the wizards I've heard were really icepicky in the top end. I play mostly clean stuf and love the big full tone of the swamp thangs, maybe I'll try the c90, I had one years back and really liked it's neutrality. I do have texas heats now, and the swamp thing really overpowers them. surprising as the rating isn't too different.
    Kurt

9. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Member

Actually, 99.4 db (Texas Heat) vs. 102 db (Swamp Thang) is significant. It's not a linear scale.
    My idea in mixing is to take two similarly efficient speakers (sensitivity) whose frequency characteristics are NOT the same, but rather compliment one another. This in turn gives good response across all frequencies.

10. Z Tone

Z Tone Member

11. The Trout

The Trout Member

12. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Silver Supporting Member

I have them paired with Texas Heats in a 4x12, I don't notice anything bring overpowered, it just sounds good.

13. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

14. wickedcookie

wickedcookie Silver Supporting Member

Wizard or Red Fang is what I thought also. When I'm looking for something to pair with another speaker and I can;t find a good match among my existing collection, I generally keep an eye out for used ones at a decent price, and just try them out. Never know for sure till you put them together, sometimes pairs that didn't seem like they would work well together sound great, and sometimes speakers that seemed to me like they would complement eachother well just didn't work well at all together.

15. MHG

MHG Member

The new Celestion Cream Alnico may be worth considering.

16. IbanezRokr

IbanezRokr Member

I thought so too, but I took the chance, and the pair is NOT ice picky. It's defined, and it's bright, but the really mellow top end of the swamp thangs either masks it, or makes it sound rolled off JUST enough. It's worth trying. I certainly do not regret it.

17. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Efficiency in a specific freq band is not reflected in the ratings, so, you might find a lower rated speaker that cuts through, depending on the individual match.
    I find v30's are complementary to more neutral sound speakers, especially with distortion.
    However, this is a vast YMMV.

18. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

Eminence says Swamp Thang is 102. Cannabis Rex is 101.8.

The Rex is a great speaker. Darkish though.