Is there a such thing as a passive volume control switch pedal?

axdxm

Silver Supporting Member
I know typical volume control pedals are passive, but I was looking for something like a small device with a volume knob that you could adjust and switch on and off. No treadle, just a knob and a footswitch (and passive). This way you could place it before a fuzz or a volume input sensitive pedal and have it engaged (with a lower volume) for your "light" parts of the song and switch it off to let your full guitar volume interact with the pedal.

I know you can lower your guitar volume, etc. But to me, its handy to have this in an instaneous switchable form.

Any help/advice appreciated.

justnick

I know typical volume control pedals are passive, but I was looking for something like a small device with a volume knob that you could adjust and switch on and off. No treadle, just a knob and a footswitch (and passive). This way you could place it before a fuzz or a volume input sensitive pedal and have it engaged (with a lower volume) for your "light" parts of the song and switch it off to let your full guitar volume interact with the pedal.

I know you can lower your guitar volume, etc. But to me, its handy to have this in an instaneous switchable form.

Probably simpler to put a switch on your guitar that bypasses the volume control to a resistor of fixed value.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
I think EHX makes something like this.
yep.

i made one myself, it's pretty easy since there's nothing in there but two jacks, a switch and a pot. the switch either bypasses the pot or doesn't, all there is to it.

i got fancy with it and included an LED, which i set to light up when the pedal was bypassed; that way, using it at the end of the chain or in an effects loop for solos or whatever, i still had "light on=louder" when i hit it.

i made mine with a 25k audio taper pot, since i'm strictly using it after buffered stuff.

Multicellular

I had a passive volume pedal switch made by Saturn http://saturnworkspedals.com/

Mine has 2 inputs and a footswitch so I can mix two sources (two mics from my accordion) and I can run guitar thru either.

Is just like guitar volume pots, doesn't do anything to the sound.

The price was reasonable. For a custom pedal, was actually less than a lot of factory made ones.

Morley makes several things that would do this but they are large and not passive.

The Saturn one I have is small MXR style enclosure sized.

Trending Topics