Is there a tape sim delay pedal that can ballpark Binson tones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DanHorse, Feb 1, 2012.

1. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

Probably not, but thought it worth a shot, I realise its one of those tones thats hard to find outside getting a actual Binson. Can the EL Cap get in that region? or another unit?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. meterman

meterman Member

I believe there are some El Cap settings that will get you close, both in the manual and in a thread here somewhere.

3. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

I was looking at some of the threads but wasnt finding info on this aspect, wish i could find it!

Cheers

Any others want to wade in?

4. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

The Line6 M series has a Binson model called "Echo Platter." I have no idea if it sounds like the real thing, but it's a cool sounding, funky delay.

5. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Catalinbread Montavillain. Listen to some demos... I believe the Binsen was part of their inspiration.

6. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

7. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

Try stacking a Skreddy Echo and a Wampler Faux Tape echo or other two such units like a El cap and......

8. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

here's a link to my thead (that no one cared about):

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1007291&highlight=echorec+capistan

Echorec

fixed head, mode B
    tape age: slightly up from 0 (or 8:00)
    wow & flutter: slightly up from 0 (or 8:00)
    low end contour: 0 (or 7:00)
    tape bias: 5 (or 12:00)*
    tape crinkle: 0 (or 7:00)

i usually run my mix around 2:00. and an echorec has short delay times, so it does sound more echorec-ish to me at shorter times.

*you can actually max this out if you really want to get more echorec-ish. the echorec doesn't have a ton of headroom at the settings i use, so the echoes tend to distort a little when i'm playing harder. on the Cap, setting the tape bias up will overdrive the repeats. maxed out it matches the response of the echorec pretty good, but it doesn't sound completely natural like the echorec--so, imho it sounds best set half way (12:00).

9. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

I've played a lot of echo pedals... Almost always the dry path is thin an small compared the Binson's. There are a few exceptions. The SIB Echodrive is an example of such an exception. But it seems folks ignore the dry path part of echo pedals, because we buy echo pedals for the repeats right!? Nothing quite has the same bounce to the echoes as the Binson.

10. ledfloyd

ledfloyd Member

Of all the Analogue delays i've heard the Monty reminds me most of a Binson

11. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

Many thanks guys, I will follow up on your suggestions, much appreciated.

12. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

Just as another thought on this: Anyone tried experimenting with delays and reverbs to ballpark Binson tones?

Seeing as the basic character seems deep and kinda dirty, maybe experimenting with reverb or delay placed before the dirt and then delay after the dirt?

Just shooting out ideas!

13. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

Not sure if it sounds like a Binson, but my Skrecho is the sh*t, hats off

14. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

Not used a Binsen personally, but strymon have settings for the El Capistan on their website that are aimed at reproducing metal drum machines... Is it close enough? Don't know... But I love their Saturated Wash setting... Tamed a little on the feedback.

15. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Why do people call it "Binsen"? It's Binson...

16. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

Lol, funny... I thought is was Binson... But thought I would double check and as others Said Binsen...I changed it. DOH!

17. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

The TES has zero grit and saturation and very light colour in the repeats, doesn't it? This is definitely not the case with the Binson.

18. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

whoopes! duly noted and altered.

19. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

Still looking like the El Cap is the front runner on this. But a part of me is shouting to experiment with reverb and delays some...

20. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

I guess it depends what tools you have at your disposal, I would guess you could do this on the Axe-Fx by using a drive block and careful EQ on the delay or after the delay block.

In theory you could use other pedals in conjunction with each other but it tends to get messy... But might be worth a punt... Also how practical it is is another question.

This is one of the reasons I love the Axe-FX, the routing and flexibility is hard to beat.

BUT... For just one sound it is a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut.... So not suggesting the answer is to go buy an Axe-FX... Just suggesting a modular approach might work it you have the building blocks.