• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Is There A Version Of The Timmy That Works Well With Fender Amps?

jrockbridge

I've read a lot about the Timmy. I know there are some Fender amp users that like and use the pedal. However, I have also read that the designer, Paul Cochrane, does not think the Timmy is a great match for Fender amps.

I consider Fender amps to have a relatively scooped EQ. Fender amps seem to work well with pedals that push up midrange frequencies...like TS and Klon circuits, for example.

Does the Timmy have a somewhat scooped EQ? Also, does Paul C (or anyone) offer a different version of the Timmy (or a modification) which works better with Fender amps?

jdel77

The Timmy has a flat eq.
Increase bass and treble - you'll get mid scoop.
Decrease bass and treble - you'll get mid hump

Try an LM1458 chip in there as opposed to the stock JRC4559. It smoothes out that high end and makes those higher frequencies easier on the ear through Fender amps. You can pick that chip up at any electronics store for a couple bucks.
Just make sure the chip is orientated right. You'll see a notch or circle at one end. Match that with the socket or chip in the pedal now and you'll be right.

weshunter

Silver Supporting Member
i have a green one but I think it's made by ibanez :)

seriously, timmy's sound awful through fenders, you'll be way happier with a klone

edit: IMO, of course

jrockbridge

The Timmy has a flat eq.

Try an LM1458 chip in there as opposed to the stock JRC4559. It smoothes out that high end and makes those higher frequencies easier on the ear through Fender amps. You can pick that chip up at any electronics store for a couple bucks.
Just make sure the chip is orientated right. You'll see a notch or circle at one end. Match that with the socket or chip in the pedal now and you'll be right.
Does Paul C offer a version of the Timmy with the LM1458 chip?

thedroid

You might like the MXR M77. I found it somewhat similar to the Timmy, and it has a midbump that you can switch on and off.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
This is really the answer. I had two Timmys and one with a 1458 chip in it. The 1458 chip worked better with the Fender amps IMHO. But there is something about the Amp11 that just works really well with Fender amps. I don't want to deny Paul the business... It's just the way it sounds to my ears. I know the TGP ethics police will chime in here and all, but the Amp11 is the Timmy for Fender amps.

Does Paul C offer a version of the Timmy with the LM1458 chip?
Yes... Quite a few of his custom colors have the 1458 chip. The one I had was the surf green unit from Humbucker Music.

EDIT - I was also able to get some Timmy like sounds from the Barber Gain Changer in the Limited toggle position. It really sounded good with my Fender amps.

Last edited:

Jet Age Eric

I think the issue is that, for some users (like myself), the dirt the Timmy generates needs some mids/lower-mids. I hate it with a stock, two-band BF, but if you've got a Fender amp with mids or a deep switch (i.e., a Bassman), you might be OK. If not, as you note, there are other ODs that are good to great with Fenders. -E

jrockbridge

i have a green one but I think it's made by ibanez :)

seriously, timmy's sound awful through fenders, you'll be way happier with a klone

edit: IMO, of course
Tube screamers feel and sound highly compressed and have a distinctive mid hump. I agree that they can sound great with a Fender amp when it's cranked to the sweet spot. They do that one thing well if that's what you want.

How is a TS like a Timmy? I'm guessing that a TS is NOT similar to a Timmy.

slap_back05

No bad sounds from my Timmy and Princeton. They are cheap enough that you should just try it out and see for yourself if you like the sounds instead of forming your opinion based on reading an internet forum.

geodr

Pretty sure all the custom color Timmys have the LM1458 chip. Or its a couple of dollar easy replacement.

I think the notion that Tim/Timmy doesn't work with Fender amps is a forum myth. Works great for me (with LM1458) with both style amps because it has very powerfiul EQ. Apparently the builder at one point was recorded to say that the pedal was designed with Marshall amps in mind, and some forumites twisted that to mean that it "only" works with Marshall style amps. Poppycock. I'm sure you can find as many who enjoy it with Fender amps as those who do not. Likewise with Marshall-style.

Anyone with some sense would understand there are no absolutes, and that some tools work for some people and some don't. If you're interested in the pedal, try it out. The LM1458 is a good tip.

jkg

Gold Supporting Member
While fully acknowledging that the Timmy+fender=bad equation may be a myth since I have never played my Timmy though a Fender, I can say that the now discontinued Barber Ltd (especially the silver) is outstanding through a Fender. Have not played the Gain Changer but it might work as well.

bobotwt

Silver Supporting Member
The Timmy has a flat eq.

Exactly! I run a Tim and/or a Timmy with Fenders with great results. Just pull both the bass and treble back and the mids come forward.

Josh

jrockbridge

No bad sounds from my Timmy and Princeton. They are cheap enough that you should just try it out and see for yourself if you like the sounds instead of forming your opinion based on reading an internet forum.
We should just stop discussing gear entirely on forums. It's completely pointless. However, before we stop discussing things, I want to know, where can these 'cheap' Princeton amps be found? ;)

I don't know about you but I don't have unlimited time or money. I can't try every stomp box that gets raved about on internet forums. Therefore, I have to apply some kind of filter and weed some things out.

Perhaps, a Princeton is an exception. Maybe, some Fender amps work well with a Timmy while others do not. Perhaps, with the right guitar, a Timmy can work well with any Fender amp. Maybe, the whole Timmy + Fender thing is a myth. Hopefully, some other people have tried a Timmy with a Princeton or other Fender amps and will chime in about their opinions.

dewey decibel

My Timmy sounds great stock through blackface Fender style amps. And I hate a Tubescreamer through a bf Fender. Point being, it simply depends on the kinds of sounds you're going for.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom