Is There a Wah That Can Cover Both Modern and Vintage Wah Tones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Josh O, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Josh O

Josh O Member

I"m gonna guess no but I figured I'd ask. Alot of wah posts and my own tonal problems have brought this question to light. I am an owner of a Teese Wizard and man it does an awesome job cutting through high gain, just as advertised but I'm yearning for that more classic wah tone as well. Not an exact replica of Pagey or Jimi or Clapton but something with a more classic voice. I used to own a Fulltone Clyde and it had that classic wah tone to it but it couldn't really cut through on the high gain which is why I opted for the Wizard. Is there something out there that will give me both? I guess I'm ideally looking for a Wizard and a Picture Wah all in one!! I know the easiest thing to do is buy another wah that focuses on that classic McCoy tone and have two but I really only have room for one wah. I'm giving great consideration to sending my Wizard to Keeley to have him add his yellow inductor kit and be able to toggle between the stock inductor and the yellow. Are there any current offerings that can truly deliver the goods?

2. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Teese RMC3?

3. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

The RMC2 works that angle better for me. I had an RMC3, great Wah! just can't adjust on the fly. with the 2, just reach down, turn a few knobs and you've gone from Cream to Slash..very, very cool ...

4. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

The Automagic Silvermachine claims to do both. It has a classic/modern switch to toggle between the 2 plus 2 more knobs to change frequencies/wah range.

5. Josh O

Josh O Member

I really like Teese's stuff, maybe an RMC2 is what the doctor ordered. In regards to the Automagic, I was very intrigued by it's supposed versatility when I listened to the clips on the Godlyke site and then I read too many horror stories here and on Harmony Central that it doesn't perform as advertised.

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I'm interested in the Gig-FX Mega Wah... runs stereo, volume and wah, very tweakable and modern/vintage settings...

7. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

The Dunlop 535Q was designed to do just that. Great wah, very underrated pedal IMHO... :AOK

8. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

i have had a budda wah for several years, and for me simplicity is the key, yet this wah seems to be able to handle anything i throw at it. I have owned
    teese, vox, fulltone, etc. now when I mod my george dennis GD 30 for TB,
    we will see, cause that thing has beautiful tone and a great sweep!

9. Josh O

Josh O Member

I like simplicity, it's one of the reasons I gravitated towards the Wizard and used to have the Clyde. I had a 535Q a few years back when it first came out and I really didn't like it, of course, I can't remember why now. Maybe it's because I've just moved away from anything Dunlop. Maybe I should give it another look. Also, that Budda Budwah has really caught my eye too.

10. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Josh, I got The Budda and an RMC2.. The Budda is my back-up, it's the middle ground of wah's. I use it for comparisons. It's just a great no frills wah! The sweep is a little short compared to a Vox or Clyde but the spectrum is wide enough to cover many styles, It's quiet, sounds great with heavy distortion and is Purple! I can't say enough about the RMC2 however..for me, I can't see me ever needing a wah to do anymore. (Would like to see what is sounds like with a Halo) but it's most likely the last wah I'll ever use...