Is there a way NOT getting an EH Deluxe Memory Man?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jtwang, Jul 30, 2008.

1. jtwang

jtwang Member

I've been lusting rather seriously for a Memory Man for some time now. Is there any way to get the same gourgous analog delay with modulation but without the huge footprint and the somewhat big bucks? The MXR CC is small and nice and seems to be great bang for the buck, but as far as I can tell it doesn't come close to the DMM sound wise.

I guess I'm hoping for the impossible here but I thought I'd better make a last check before I pull the trigger....

Edit: Oh, almost forgot. What's inside the new (smaller?) version of the DMM, the one with all the knobs on one row? Is it the same in a new package?

2. m@2

m@2 Member

i hope i'm not turning too much into "DMM promoter" dude but... I have not found anything that replaces it. I even had to buy a bigger board to fit the DMM. I own the CC (great pedal, but very straightforward analog delay). You can get a used DMM for not THAT much more. Plus the DMM has cool vibrato and chorus, so you can justify the cost cuz it's like 3 peadl in one! see?

3. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

I think the small one your refering to is the DMM with Hazarai. As far as I know that's a digital delay, not analog. If you like the sound of the DMM, get it! I can't think of anything cheaper that will sound like it.

4. Holey Lint Trap

Holey Lint Trap Member

There are a lot of nice small analog/analog voiced delays out there that do some decent modulation. The Carbon Copy sounds very nice and the modulation, while subtle, is nice. The Malekko 600s are very nice but have no modulation. They do have trails though which is sweet and, if I am not mistaken, an effects loop. hmmm...I might be mistaken.

Although I have not played the new Skreddy Echo, the demos I have seen are awesome. It is not analog but it is a very good simulation of tape echo with an effects loop, very nice modulation, and in a small size. It sounds great. But it is not cheap and there is a waiting list.

Personally, I think all of these pedals are pretty awesome...I just prefer the DMM. The size can be troublesome but the sound is awesome. The delay, which is shorter than 550ms but can be modded to fix this, sounds great and the repeats are very alive and organic. This thing will color your tone on the repeats, but in a great way.

The chorus and vibrato provide great movement on your echos and really make this thing shine. Of course you can go overboard and make sounds no other delay pedal does (good ole EHX). There can be a slight volume drop and some distortion on the echos with hot pickups, but if it is a problem it can be modded as well.

Sorry for the ramble, I went through this process a bit ago to see if I wanted another delay, but the DMM is really what I wanted. And the big box is cool looking.

^^^
    EHX is making an XO Deluxe Memory Man that is analog and exactly the same as the original, just a smaller box. Or so they say...but it should be in the USA when the old boxes sell out.

5. Wooley

Wooley Member

:AOK
    These are the facts.
    I have like 5 other delays, but finally decided to break down and buy an Analogman triple-modded DMM, and I have NEVER heard anything like it. If these things came in smaller fancier boxes, there would be no other analog delays on the market (considering most analog delays cost just as much if not more).

6. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

Get a t-rexx reptile...very tweakable modulation and a very good sounding delay

7. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

When and how much?!?!?!?!

That and a POG and some hypothetically perfect Leslie simulator and I think I'm done.

8. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

the new smaller DMM might have a different chip, but the rest is supposed to be the same.

9. Holey Lint Trap

Holey Lint Trap Member

Yeah the mods seem worth it. For just 40 bucks more you solve any problems one could have with the DMM.

I like the TRex, I just round it kind of sterile.

The price will be about the same i think, $279-$315...And it is already available in Europe and on Ebay, but they are waiting for stores to run out of the big ones before releasing the XO one in the USA.

Google it and you can see images.

No, the new DMM is still supposed to be the good BBD chips. Early reviews say it sounds the same as the large box one.

10. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

my DMM is a lovely piece of kit that isn't going anywhere. it's just so weird, how would i replace it? it's not very "pro" but it suits some lo-fi messing around with aplomb. and there's this one setting where you can have an eternal feedbacking garbage truck dump sound that i can't see replicating, good stuff!

11. m@2

m@2 Member

oh, one other thought... i have at times moved the DMM off my board, similar to a TTE, and just put it on or near my amp (plus them it's easier to tweak knobs if needed)

I put blue painters tape on my DMM next to the knobs to mark settings, because there are so many tones you can tap into, and there's a couple "go to" settings for me that I'll forget if I don't mark them

12. dksouthpaw

dksouthpaw Member

the DMM with hazarai isn't the same. i got it and just didn't really like it. Maybe i was just bumbling around with the controls- i mean it was fun and cool sounding, but definitely NOT a DMM.

13. Holey Lint Trap

Holey Lint Trap Member

It is not a DMM with Hazarai, you are tlaking about the Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai. That is a digital delay and looper with tons of features like tap tempo, presets, reverse delay, and weird modulation effects (chorus, reverb, ring mod almost).

The XO Deluxe Memory Man is the analog Deluxe Memory Man just in a smaller die cast box. It is supposed to be the same as the big boxes, including the same circuitry.

14. dreed

dreed Member

15. daysofspeed

daysofspeed Member

[​IMG]

Mine should be here by next week :AOK

16. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Where's you order it from ?

17. daysofspeed

daysofspeed Member

18. MickUF

MickUF Member

How can it be modded? I dont think its possible to get longer delays in the mem man and still retain its character. I thought the chips are what they are

Mick

19. Holey Lint Trap

Holey Lint Trap Member

Basically to get to 550ms, the pedal needs to have the chips realigned (or something). Howard Davis, who helped design the DMM, does this mod as well. Basically it comes down to EHX not doing the best quality job on the DMM resulting them having less delay time that advertised. Basically around 400ms versus the 550ms that EHX says. Calibrating the pedal can get you closer if not to 550ms.

Analogman offers a modification that can double the delay time by adding more of the good BBD chips to the board. They run at 25 bucks a chip (100$ total) and about the same amount for the work (another 100$).

here is the address for Howard Davis.
    http://http://howard.davis2.home.att.net/

20. drolling

drolling Member

Yo DoS!! You'll need to do a little review for us delay junkies here @TGP.. An A/B(C) between this & the old DMM would be really cool. And CLIPS!! please..

Thanks for the info HLT!

I've had the chance to compare a few DMMs of varying vintage (an original against my own early '90s RI and a couple of recent production variants ~ and sure enough, they all clocked in at less than the supposed 550ms, the lowest being around 330 (like the old BOSS analog delays).

All sounded different, too; my fave being the 'vintage' model, 2nd choice being my '90s DMM w/hardwired AC cord & buffered bypass. I've considered sending mine to Howard, but decided to put it off till it actually needs repair/recalibration, if ever.

As for my own continuing search to replace the EH pedal...

I got mine after just missing the boat on the legendary Aquapuss. By the time I'd scraped together $$ for the WayHuge, the company'd folded & 2nd hand pedals were already rocketing pricewise. Call me oldfashioned, but I've yet to pay MORE for a used pedal

Turned out to be a good thing, tho'. I really need those extra few milleseconds, and the whacky chorus/vibrato effect was just icing (gravy?).

When Diamond released their Memory Lane, I'd already been "on the list" for an Echoczar a year+.. so.. it was great walking into a local Mom & Pop to pick up an ML (serial # 0008) the same day I'd read a rave review here at the gearpage. Fantastic pedal, still the only analog delay w/tap-tempo (never tried it, to tell the truth) with a beautiful, lush & liquid sounding chorus/vibrato mode. A keeper for life..

But I didn't like the way it oscillated (something they've addressed on the new ML2) so I had to hang onto my DMM, which I'd already mounted to a waist-level mic stand (a la Adrian Belew) to send the repeats into runaway delay while playing.

Then, I got a Jacques Prisoner when they became available. My 1st pedal from France, I had to order on line - without trying - so, I had no idea that it WOULDN'T OSCILLATE AT ALL! First analog delay I'd ever owned/played that didn't do this!! Some consider the potentially speaker-blowing, eardrum popping nature of runaway delay to be a flaw, but it's an essential part of *my sound*... I was a bit disappointed.

BUT, the repeats are warm, organic, etc.. and the chorus effect is also very cool - somewhere between the grunge of the DMM and the relatively 'hi-fi' sound of ML's modulation circuitry.

It's also conveniently tiny (smaller than BOSS) so.. I hadda keep it, too.

Long, lonnngg story short - I've yet to find an analog delay that completely replaces my Memory Man. Probably never will.

Still curious about that Toneczar, tho'.. THREE years and counting now. If the US dollar stays down, I may even be able to afford it when (IF???) my number ever comes up

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008