Is there a way to control the gain of an OD pedal from your guitar?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dB, Jan 3, 2008.

1. dB

dB Member

I'm pretty sure Garcia did this somehow. If you had an additional knob on your guitar that could turn your OD pedal's gain/drive from light to heavy. To be able to control a pedal like a Timmy that can do the whole range from light gain to almost fuzz territory, would eliminate the need to have 2 or 3 diff OD pedals on your board. I guess the eq would simultaneously need to be adjusted on a Timmy, so maybe that's not the best example.

I had a Sunface that you can control with your vol knob, but I am talking more about control drive without having to increase the volume significantly. Anyone know if there is a way?

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

There 's this, but I don't know anyone that's actually tried it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tone-in-Progress-Third-Hand-Expression-Pedal-?sku=150146

3. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Jerry Garcia had an onboard midi system retrofitted into some of his later custom guitars as far as I know, but I don't know if it was used to control his overdriven sound, or not. There are od pedals like the Fulltone OCD that clean up well enough when you back off your guitar volume and still retain the bottom end of your tone. Treble boosters are good for that too.

4. dB

dB Member

I've seen those before...but like you said, I don't know anyone who has tried one. There's probably a reason for that. Besides, the whole goal is to streamline pedals, not add more. I know that seems counterintuitive at TGP!

5. blood5150

blood5150 Member

i thought that Garcia had an onboard preamp in his main guitar??

6. soldano16

soldano16 Member

There is a simple way to do it but you have to be prepared to play with your guitar volume at lower than 10 when at your loudest. You will need to run your amp a bit higher to compensate for the fact that you are now running your guitar at lower volume. You want to start with the same overall volume level as before.

Put a volume pedal after your OD. Set the OD with regular full gain.

So now you can min/max between the guitar volume and the volume pedal volume (VPV). The louder the guitar volume and lower the VPV, the more gain you get.

It works amazingly with a fuzz. I can run my Peppermint Fuzz all the way from the thickest fuzz to almost MKII tones - ALL AT THE SAME VOLUME - just by adjusting the blend of the two volumes.

That's how ya do it.

By the way - I presented the Third Hand idea to Boogie, Peavey and New Sensor almost 10 years ago (I think I still have the signed non-disclosure agreement with Peavey somewhere) but no one thought it commercially viable. I'm interested to see if the product does take off.

7. bilbal

bilbal Member

The only way I have found to be able to change the od level is with my Tonelab LE using the expression pedal. It's pretty cool. Having the pedal in the "up" position - clean, "down" position - full on overdrive/dist. and everything in between with the sweep of the pedal.

You should really take the time and read up on Garcia's rig. It was pretty extraordinary to say the least. It was full on stereo from the gates and they (Parish) did some cool stuff with the midi triggers. I will try to find a good detail of it and post the link.

bilbal

8. bilbal

bilbal Member

Wow!!! my first search brought me to this:

http://www.nii.net/~obie1/deadcd/garcia_guitars.htm

Can't get much more detail than this link. I haven't read all the way through it but it seems to describe Jer's guitar and signal routing.

Have fun and I'll look for some more stuff. There was one thing I have somewhere that walked you through both Jer' and Bobby's guitar signal all the way through to the board. There was a lot more going on than we all thought.

bilbal

9. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

You're probably right about that. I just knew about the onboard midi. I didn't know if he used it for OD tones or not.
    It looks like he did have a preamp custom-fitted in the Wolf and the Tiger guitars, and also custom-fitted a Roland synth unit into the body of the Tiger as well.
    Honestly, I'm really not sure if a midi unit and a synth unit are the same, or two completely different things, to be fair. I've kind of wondered that since the 80's. I think I got confused!

10. bilbal

bilbal Member

11. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    You can assign total control over gain, and/or about 20 other tone parameters, to the expression pedal on a Boss GT-8. Can set this up with about 4 keystrokes. No hands needed :D

12. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Its called NMV bliss.:BEER

13. james russell

james russell Silver Supporting Member

This is a simple and effective way without any extras beyond a volume pedal, which I always use anyway. Thanks for a great solution.

James

www.russellguitars.com