Is there a way to do series/parallel and phase options with a Superswitch?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Bill Brasky, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

With a two humbucker guitar and a 5 way Superswitch, is there a way to have a both pickups in series position and a out of phase and in phase settings, just using the Superswitch with no additional switches or push/pull pots?

2. Bob V

Bob V Member

There's a guy whose handle is "Deafeddie" over on the tdpri forum who basically can do anything that can be done with wiring schematics - take a look over there.

Haven't tried it out myself, but it should be possible with a double-wafer superswitch, four-pole, five-throw. You might want a different order, but here's what makes sense theoretically from bright to dark:

1. Treble pickup alone
    2. Both pickups, series, out of phase (nasal and loud)
    3. Both pickups, series in phase (not nasal but really loud)
    4. Both pickups, parallel in phase (the regular middle position on a three-way Gibson toggle switch)
    5. rhythm pickup alone

There are four sections of the switch, each has a pole and five throws - be careful since the numbering runs in a different order on some switches (especially those plastic enclosed jobs, stick with a double wafer where you can see what it's doing).

I can't get a diagram on here so here's my attempt:
    First pole - connect to Rhythm pickup wire A (the usual hot output)
    Throws:
    1. nothing
    2. + (hot output to the volume knob)
    3. +
    4. +
    5. +

1. nothing
    2. connect to throw 2 of the "treble pickup B" section
    3. connect to throw 3 of the "treble A" section
    4. Ground
    5. Ground
    Second Pole: Rhythm pickup wire "B"

Here's the other side of the switch:
    Pole: Treble pickup wire "A"
    1. + output to volume control
    2. Ground
    3. jumper to throw 3 of the "Rhythm B" section
    4. +
    5. nothing

1. Ground
    2. jumper to throw 2 of the "Rhythm B" section
    3. Ground
    4. Ground
    5. Nothing
    Pole: Treble pickup wire "B"

Deafeddie would tell you whether this is nuts or wrong, and he can do great color diagrams, too. Probably already been done.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  3. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

YES! This is exactly what I was thinking of. I searched the wiring diagrams database at Seymour Duncan and did a google search for Superswitch diagrams and couldn't find any that showed phase switching or parallel/series switching. I'll try to contact deaf-eddie. It sucks that these Superswitchs come without any instructions of any kind.