Is there a way to make this work?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JSeth, Jan 29, 2008.

1. JSeth

JSeth Member

Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    Hey folks - I have one of the original PODS, loved the idea of the thing when I got it - but hooking it up as an effect into my amp was a big letdown; seemed really noisy and unworkable. When I tried it through a good PA trying to get a decent tone from my ES-175, it blew chunks there too. So, my question is - is there a way to make this work with an amp and/or board that is tenable for decent tones?
    I play Gibsons - an ES-345 and 175 - and a Taylor T-5 as well - have both solidstate and tube amps; a little Mackie board for my PA (to a crown amp to EV speakers).
    Any Line-6 guys out there who can help - hard to believe that anyone would make this and have the sound be soooo poor! I'm hoping that it's the idiot setting it up!:jo
    thanks, in advance, for any/all help!
    John Seth

2. blood5150

blood5150 Member

i wonder if you could use a pod through the pa with an a/b box....maybe have a DRRI as the clean sound and then use the pod through the switcher for gain....

i have no idea if this helps you at all... i just started daydreaming when I was reading your post.... sorry.

3. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

sorry, but you can't have it both ways. the POD's are great for sounding like miked amps for direct recording--or straight into the PA--but sound horrible plugged into a guitar amp, particularly a tube amp. the one solution I've heard that makes sense is a pair of Tech 21 power engines, which are basically self-contained power amps in a 1x12" cabinet.

the real question is, why bother plugging something that is trying to sound like an amp into an actual amp. any decent amp is going to sound better than plugging the pod into an amp.

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Mr. Smith is right. Use an amp or a modeler, but not both.

As to an ES-345 into a POD, [​IMG]

5. JSeth

JSeth Member

Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    Thanks guys - but you mis-understood me. First of all, I LOVE the sound of my 345 thru my deluxe reverb...LOL - I'm not trying to cover that tone up! It was actually a 2 part question... 1) cab the POD sound good through an amp? I have a solid state yamaha that's very clean... Guess I was thinkin' I could use the thing from time to time for fx when I needed/wanted them...2) can the POD make good sound through a small Mackie board ( not simultaneously w/ the amp) - this is where I'm more surprised that it didn't sound good at all because of the claims of being a great "direct" type recording device...
    sorry for the lack of clarity in the original post...
    John