• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Is there a way to make volume pots stiffer?

dincorcelles

I always hit the volume knob when I play. Sometimes I also accidentally turn it off. Is there a way to make it harder to turn?

RvChevron

Don't have a pic right now but I see from the net that people place a rubber gasket underneath the volume knob to add friction.

When turned, the bottom/skirt of the volume knob would be rubbing against the rubber gasket.

lespaulreedsmith

Gold Supporting Member
Seen many different ways. Felt washer cut out by hand, rubber bands, and the method I use is black neoprene o-rings from the hardware store. All placed underneath the knob.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Or replace it with a standard CTS.
Stiff ones have become normal, it seems.
The ring thing is easier.

buddastrat

OMG, everyone wants them looser! I'll trade you some. I like them to move if the wind blows, zero resistance.

Duncan's supposed to come out with some pots that do just this.

On a strat, you could just squish down the knob so you get a little pickguard friction. Stiff pots are EASY to find and replace.

Hwoltage

Silicone washer under the knob and then press the knob down to achieve the correct amount of friction. A guy on here used to sell them, and he contributed to a thread involving the accidental switching of the pickups on a Strat when the topic strayed towards volume issues.

Bruce Bennett

OMG, everyone wants them looser! I'll trade you some. I like them to move if the wind blows, zero resistance.

Duncan's supposed to come out with some pots that do just this.

On a strat, you could just squish down the knob so you get a little pickguard friction. Stiff pots are EASY to find and replace.

Bournes makes these as well.

buddastrat

Yeah I have some Bournes both the cheap ones and the fancy blue ones, and they stink. Terrible taper. On overdrive, it's more on/off than any swell. I'd like to try the EVH ones though.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom