Is there actually a really good sounding Solid State practice amp?

idma

The reason why i'm asking is cause I don't want to fry a practice tube amp. Most practice amps are solid state, but they sound like crap compared to a tube amp. Is there anything that will come close to the tone of my Maz 18? I don't need many features. Just volume and gain and the ability to plug in headphones, BTW price is not an issue

misa

Silver Supporting Member
I think there are plenty of good options. For lower budget solid state (since it sounds like you would still put more value on tube amps), the Vox Pathfinder and the Fender Mustang seem to get a lot of praise.

Tommy Biggs

Gold Supporting Member
sound as good as your $2,000 tube amp???
Quilter maybe, but even if pathfinders, mustangs, Yamaha's, Tech 21 TM10's don't exaclty make you forget about the Maz, they all work.

buzzp

Honestly, for the volume I play my old Marshall VS15, it gets the job done. No it won't be a Maz 18, but I just use it for clean noodling, some OD.. sometimes.

No457 Snowy

I picked up a Yamaha THR10-C last year and it sounds and even feels pretty good either through phones or positioned on a shelf at around head height wherever you practice. Even at very low volumes it creates the illusion that there's a much bigger sound/tone happening. I'm referring to solitary practice time though, not band practice.

Steve Hotra

Gold Supporting Member
I went with a Roland Cube 40 GX.
Decent modeling, and the foot switch allows you to scroll through 3 different amp / effects settings.
Plus it has a mini 8" input for linking with a mp3 or macbook for jam tracks.

guitarman3001

Yamaha THR, Hotone Nano, and although I've never played one, the demos of the Orange Crush 35RT sound pretty damn good to me.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
As good as your Maz? No. The Mustang III, the Pathfinder, the Vox AV series and the Orange Crush 35 are all decent sounding SS practice amps, but none of them are (at least to my ears) going to sound substantially like a good tube amp.

I'm not sure I understand your concern about frying a tube amp, thought. I can understand not wanting to haul around a big amp for practice purposes, but the Maz 18 is no back-breaker. Are just trying to keep your "powder" dry and not expose your good amp to wear and tear lugging to and from practice?

kludge

The droid you're looking for
Gold Supporting Member
Depends on what you mean by "practice". Bedroom-volume noodling, or band practice with drums? And do you mind weight on par with tube gear, or does it have to be lightweight?

Either way, there are lots of great options - even more if you're willing to go clean + pedals, rather than expecting the amp to do all the dirt as well.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Why not just spend $225 from Monoprice and get a real 20 watt all tube combo with reverb, fx loop, EL84's and a Celestion 12. It's the same amp that Laney markets at $399...... Just sayin..

Trending Topics