Is there an acoustic guitar not sensitive to humidity

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Gallery, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Assuming quality of the tone is not an issue. Is there an acoustic perhaps made of synthetic materials that will be less prone to warp or crack?

I'd like to get a beater guitar to leave at my in-laws house so I don't have to carry mine back and forth. The thing is that they live a block from the beach and it's super humid in the summer and very dry in the winter due to their forced air heat system. So a swing of 75 RH to 20 RH is entirely possible. I'm not there often enough to monitor the humidity. Are there any cheap acoustics that might not warp as easily? I could care less how good it sounds. I just want to be able to practice while I'm there.

My back up plan is just a beater guitar with those humidity packs in the case and hope that I can keep up with the changes.

2. Mothman

Mothman Member

It's my understanding that carbon fiber instruments, like the RainSong guitars, are resistant to humidity changes.

3. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Thanks, thats what I'm looking for.

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I can't find it now, but a while back on Yoututbe, there was a guy with a carbon fiber acoustic guitar standing next to a swimming pool. He strums a few chords and plays a few licks, then tosses the guitar into the swimming pool. He jumps in the pool and retrieves it, then gets out of the pool and empties the water out of the guitar and continues playing the song. The guitar sounds more or less the same and is still in tune.

5. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

A 1970s Gibson might fit the built. The suckers were so overbuilt they could withstand anything. Only downside is they sound like they are stuffed with old t-shirts.

6. Gassage

Gassage Senior Member

Try an Ovation. Cheep as chips now.

7. Skrat

Skrat Silver Supporting Member

I have a CA Cargo for traveling just for that reason.

8. royd

royd Member

there are a number of carbon fiber companies. MacNichols in Salt Lake City specializes in them and so is a good store to check out. Obviously there are other stores that carry one or two of the brands.

Carbon Fiber doesn't sound exactly like wood - I've owned a rainsong and a composite acoustics - but they can sound quite nice. They are less susceptible to damage than wood, but they are not indestructible.

9. Big Boss Man

Big Boss Man Member

I have a couple of Composite Acoustics that I both like a lot. They are not really cheap beater guitars though. Expect to spend some money if you want a Composite Acoustics or Rainsong.

10. mralmostpopular

mralmostpopular Member

These can actually be MORE sensitive to humidity changes. The wood tops on ovations are notorious for cracking because the wood tries to expand and contract, but is restricted by the plastic back. I know folks who have had to have multiple re-tops done for that very reason. Ovation has changed the design a bit over the years to help, but if you're talking about the possibility of wide humidity changes, it's best to avoid this kind of hybrid design.

The carbon fibers are a good bet. You could also look at the low-end martins if you want to save some money. They're made of a high pressure laminate material.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  11. natmiss

natmiss Member

Some Ovations have graphite tops. Still a wood neck though.

12. bandmaster

bandmaster Member

Metal body Nationals