Is there an alternative to Fernandes Sustainer?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DieHon, May 3, 2015.

1. DieHon

DieHon Member

Pickup, no e-bow.

2. a2dconverter

a2dconverter Member

Hello DieHon

The Sustaniac is the one that I have installed in 2 guitars...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No problems, easy install... let me know if you have any questions

seeya

Joe

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  3. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

Using just the narrow area of "sustainers" you define, those which use the pickup as the driver, the only other two I'm aware of are the out-of-production Strongarm Sustainer, and the Paul Vo system originally used in the Moog Guitar and now/soon-to-be-released separately Vo system Not an easy install, from what I understand).

For the sake of completeness for those who are curious about other systems besides purely pickup drivers, there is the Vibesware line, which is like an eBow mounted on your microphone stand. There is also the Gizmotron Mark II coming out soon, using mechanical wheels with a button for each string you want driven at any given moment.

Good luck!

4. MegaMang

MegaMang Member

Oh man, Paul Vo is gonna sell the sustainer system he used in the Moog?

This is awesome.

5. DieHon

DieHon Member

How do you compare it with the fernandes one?

6. a2dconverter

a2dconverter Member

Hey DieHon

Both the Fernandes Sustainer and the Sustainiac are quality units used by many prominent players and there are no sound differences... the following are the functional differences...

1. The Sustainiac Circuit board is smaller allowing more varied/ flexible installs without major guitar-body-routing
    2. The Sustainiac Driver pickup, installed in the neck position, is a really nice neck pickup as well!

Even though routing the body is something I didn't have to do with the Sustainiac main circuit board, I decided to route the guitar body for a dual 9V battery holder instead of shoehorning a 9V battery into the tremolo cavity like some people have done. The two 9V batteries are in parallel to allow the Sustainiac to run for a longer time before the batteries needed to be changed.

Here's some more pix of the install...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I added a Lo-Bat circuit to monitor the Battery Voltage... When the battery voltage drops below 7.7 VDC the red LED lights signalling a low-battery.

[​IMG]

I hope this helps.. the websites for Sustainiac and the Fernandes Sustainer are full of good information and installation details.

Seeya

Joe

7. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

How about the EHX freeze pedal? No special PU's needed...

8. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Moog guitar/Vo pu system = very cool

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The advantage to the Vo system is that it allows string by string manipulation, and string damping as well as string sustaining!

10. a2dconverter

a2dconverter Member

Hi Bob,

I would like to see a Paul Vo luthier kit once his contract with Moog is completed... but, from the looks of the guts of a typical Moog guitar, there is going to be some major modifications required to the guitar...

[​IMG]

I don't think that the Vo system will end up on many guitars due to the complexity.

The Sustainiac can be installed without modifying the guitar using push-pull pots and dual concentric pots...

seeya

Joe