Is there an amp that delivers good AC30 tones at low volume?

FuzzOff

I have a Dr Z Stingray, which I LOVE but can't crank for recording. Are there any amps that deliver nice AC30 tones at low volumes?

Tonemeister69

Again, it depends what you mean by low volume.

You might want to look at the HWAC15 goosed with a pedal such as the hotcake. Maybe not as authentic as a cranked AC30, but close nontheless.

stratton

Again, it depends what you mean by low volume.

You might want to look at the HWAC15 goosed with a pedal such as the hotcake. Maybe not as authentic as a cranked AC30, but close nontheless.
My TBX AC15 sounds and feels GREAT at low volumes with the HotCake. Good suggestion.

Staceydude

Handwired Heritage AC15, Had an AC30 and now this AC15 (head version) and I am blown away by it.

With the two channels Ef86 and what I believe they call the top boost channel it just plain rocks. Much better than any demo I have seen.

If you can find one local I suggest you play it.

Tonemeister69

Handwired Heritage AC15, Had an AC30 and now this AC15 (head version) and I am blown away by it.

With the two channels Ef86 and what I believe they call the top boost channel it just plain rocks. Much better than any demo I have seen.

If you can find one local I suggest you play it.
yeah, that Clip on youtube (proguitarshop) alone almost made me buy one! :love:

realityczech

I'm saying no.
The genie was let out of the bottle a long time ago and this applies to many amps not just the Ac30.

Mark dB

The newly announced (@NAAM 09) Vox Night Train 15 head through twin Celestion Blues sounds extremely V30 to me. Check out a demo clip on youtube. Should be available in a month(s).

LSchefman

Depending on speaker choice, of course, I get good AC30 tones at surprisingly low volume from a Roccaforte Rockie. Of course, cranked, it's even better. But the low volume tones are definitely usable. With some amps, low volumes just don't sound good. The Rockie has a nice range of useful tones.

It's 4 x EL84s, 30 watts, 2 distinct channels, 2 inputs, with different tones. Only a single tone and volume control for each channel! Very simple to operate, as you can imagine.

I love the thing. I think Doug's a brilliant designer.

edgewound

The newly announced (@NAAM 09) Vox Night Train 15 head through twin Celestion Blues sounds extremely V30 to me. Check out a demo clip on youtube. Should be available in a month(s).
Very cool little amp, that Night Train. Affordable, too. Made in Vox's China factory.

The Vox guy doing the demo couldn't stop playing through it, he was having so much fun.

FuzzOff

thanks for all the recos. Are there any good AC30 clones, full thirty watts with nice masters? Just not sure I can't keep both, I would rather find a replacement for the Stingray that has a nice master. Seems that the Vox sound doesn't lend itself to a good master vol.

Sniper-V

Very impressed with what you can get out of a Genz Benz Black Pearl.

IMO, it can seriously pull of some cranked AC30 tone at very low volumes.

Ulysses

I play a '63 AC30 on the gig and at home I play it with the Ultimate Attenuator. It's a re-amping device, not a standard attenuator. It will get you firm, muscular mids with no mushiness, no fizzy highs, etc., when brought down to "family watching TV in the next room level". Standard attenuators work great but just can't get this quiet without the sound completely falling apart. Having said this, no amp gets the true AC30 type tone other than the real thing cranked. The magic in the AC30 is when it the voltages get so high it begins to becomes unstable and gives you that exploding tone with the whistling fireworks show of chime and random harmonics that whizz by your head. Those old Celestions Blues virtually breath fire when good AC30 gets wound up. I'm sorry, I've owned reissues (AC30 and AC15), DC30, many clones, and although they are great amps in their own right, none really sound like the real thing.

Trending Topics