Is there any 2-6V6 amp with a plexi style preamp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jazzygeoff, Sep 19, 2005.

1. jazzygeoff

jazzygeoff Member

I'd love to have a lower powered Plexi and EL84 equpped amps to my ears just have to much compression when you beat on the power section so that's why the 6V6 request. Some sort of loop would be nice as well as a switchable boost. Is there any beast out there that could fill this request? Or suggestions to get close? A friend has a blackfaced Silverface Deluxe and I really enjoyed that tone, just the tremolo is really redundant for me. Though the 'verb' could be useful just I never see one of these amps for a reasonable price anymore.

Thanks in advance

2. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

Germino Masonette

no longer made but you can use 6v6s in the club 40 and the 45

can't get any more plexi than that.

as far as boost goes.... a little pedal in front should do it.

3. troublehead

troublehead Member

I'm about to order a 20 watt Peters Dual Channel with 6V6's. They are not on his website, but he told me about them when I was inquiring about a 50 watt model. His Classic Overdrive pre-amp is supposed to be similar to a Plexi.

4. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Not exactly a plexi but the Divided by 13 SJT 10/20 has a LOT of plexi appeal!! It's the biggest, beefiest tone I've ever heard out of a little amp. Tone's of harmonics on demand, plenty of chunk and very tight, massive bottom end for an amp of it's wattage. Sounds bigger than most amps with twice the wattage. She's no little practice amp. She's a tone monster! I'm a old plexi freak from way back and this amp flips blows me away.

5. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

The Tone King Comet 20 has a tweed channel with a "midbite" control that dials nearly to plexiland. Two 6V6s and a pure blackface channel too.

6. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Don't know about 2 6V6's, but I know of one that uses 4.......................................................................................................................................................................(grin)

7. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

Oh, a Jim Kelley! :)

8. gooma

gooma Member

I know voodooamps make a V-Plex and can put 2 6V6`s in the power section no problems.
    This is their plexi clone and a great sounding amp, it also comes in 50 watt and 100 watt models. They have soundclips here www.voodooamps.com
    Trace can also install a PPIMV and a gainboost, i have been saving for this very amp myself.
    goodluck
    Brad

9. SLG

SLG Member

The Aiken Intruder 30 will run a pair of 6V6's with an easy rebias and an impedance change. The Intruder is a very versatile amp. It is capable of running 6V6's, 6L6's, EL34's, or even EL84's with a set of Yellowjacket adaptors. Best of all, the Intruder has two blended channels, and a metal/plexi switch to give you the best of both worlds.

The Intruder also has a line level effects loop that works well. I don't use many effects. The Intruder has one of the best master volume controls I've ever used on an amp.

10. 57special

57special Member

Trainwreck Express

11. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

When the footswitch comes in later this week, I'll post some clips of the Scumbag 18 watt (quad 6V6) Major Crunch model.

Two channels, plus tone stack bypass (nuke switch)...no fx loop, though. I was playing the prototype today and figuring out how many of my overdrive pedals would be up for sale when the production model was finished. Basically, the answer was "All of them..."

I'll post pics, and clips when it's ready in about three weeks.

12. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

You all can rip on El84's if you want too. Guys I have an amp with a plexi tonestack in it that runs off 4 el84s. I paired it against a Cameron modded plexi yesterday and it beat the plexi reissue in every category except volume. There was no comparison tonewise, the little Titan just killed the plexi in articulation and detail, and touch sensativity. Reinhardt's can be had with 6V6's if you like, but I chose the EL84's. It was my proudest moment ever ampwise yesterday.:D

13. KLB

KLB Member

You can put an attenuator on an EL34 amp, set it around -3 to -6db and get a similar volume/breakup/compression point as a 6V6 amp.

6V6, like EL84, will compress a lot when you hit them hard. Many EL84 amps are cathode-biased, which sound softer and more compressed than fixed-biased amps. The power supply and transformer affect how dynamic/big the amp will sound, as does the speaker system. A 1x12 combo with a Greenback won't have nearly the wollop of a 2x12 or 4x12 closed back with more efficient speakers.

As Mastervolume suggested, the Germino Club 40 and Classic 45 make excellent platforms for 6V6, when setup correctly, sounding, IMO, better than a Masonette. Use a 5U4GB rectifier and 12AT7/5751 Phase Inverter, and bias conservatively at 50-55% of plate dissipation. If you set the bias current much higher, the amp will breakup/compress sooner. On the Club 40, set the impedance selector one half the speaker load. The Classic 45 should see a 16 ohm load with 6V6. On either amp, you can replace the 10K and 470 ohm resistors in the Phase Inverter with 47K and 820-1.2K ohm to tame the PI output in line with the lower grid signal that 6V6 need to overdrive. If you do that, use a 12AX7 in the PI.

If you want to be able to boost the signal with a pedal and get an actual volume increase rather than more gain, you will need to limit the channel volumes to around 4, with 6 about the maximum.

Cheers,
    Ken

14. Johnny Raz

Johnny Raz Member

TRANSLATION -- Roccaforte Custom 30 -- Great AMP -- Great Sound. You owe it to yourself to try one out. Don't read about it, play one!

15. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Good points on the tube selections, if you make a "push/pull" amp circuit that has a PI.

I find that in most amps, setting the volume above 5-6 is the point where pedals only add more gain, and not any appreciable volume boost. Of course, that's why there are so many OD pedals on the market, too!

16. VanStone

VanStone Member

What about a Fuchs Blackjack 21?

V

17. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

Sounds like a Valvetech VAC to me.

18. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Not sure of the plexi front end, but I think my Sex Amp has one with the 6V6 power tubes, very cool tone, kind of plexi/bassman tone. Great volume point, loud but not too loud. Adam has a good thing going.

19. goneracin

goneracin Member

Sorry for the spam, but I offer my el84 amps (18 and 36) with a 6v6 choice as well.

20. trisonic

trisonic Member

And very good they are too.
    How would you compare the two types in your application, Bob?

Best, Pete.