• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Is there any interest in Handmade in the USA Parlor guitars at an affordable price?

Joe Tone

Gold Supporting Member
I am just wondering if there is any interest out there for USA handmade parlor guitars at fair and affordable pricing? I have a friend who is an awesome, full-time builder (see the thread under retailer/ manufacturer for sale for "Black Pearl") who has just built me an amazing pretty and loud parlor guitar and I was thinking "Who wouldn't want one of these puppies?" Any interest out there?

Joe Tone

Gold Supporting Member
What is considered "affordable" in this context?
prices starting at $899.00. for solid mahogany back and sides, solid spruce or cedar top, hand cut spanish cedar bracing, rosewood board, real pearl markers, slotted headstock, finished in nitro.

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
Parlor guitars seem to be experiencing a revival these days, especially with the Larrivee parlors. It also might be worth defining a "parlor" guitar, because some people care only about body size and some mandate a 12-fret neck.

Joe Tone

Gold Supporting Member
Parlor guitars seem to be experiencing a revival these days, especially with the Larrivee parlors. It also might be worth defining a "parlor" guitar, because some people care only about body size and some mandate a 12-fret neck.
sure "O" size. 12 or 14 fret and necks can be made to order.

kovachian

$900? Well dayam, that really is affordable. I'm not currently in the market for a parlor, but I'd still love to see what these sound and look like.

Joe Tone

Gold Supporting Member
more info fer y'all' Lower bout 13.5", upper bout 9.5" depth 4 1/16" and width of neck - 1 3/4 at the nut. available in 2 scale lengths: 25.4 and 24.9.
I will take some pics if you guys want tomorrow of the one he's building for me. This one has some extra inlay and is Brazilian Rosewood.

Joe Tone

Gold Supporting Member
What's really cool is with the spanish cedar bracing they smell as good as they look! Aromatic guitar!

zombywoof

I would not mind a well built, all mahogany, parlor guitar at a "reasonable" price. But to be honest, there are a ton of old Regals, Oscar Schmidts, Strombergs, and what have you out there often available at bargain basement prices.

Joe Tone

Gold Supporting Member
I would not mind a well built, all mahogany, parlor guitar at a "reasonable" price. But to be honest, there are a ton of old Regals, Oscar Schmidts, Strombergs, and what have you out there often available at bargain basement prices.
Yes I have owned some. If your planning on buying one I would def. invest in some glue, a good plane and some assorted clamps from stew-mac.

jcotten

I really like the Larrivee Parlours, and think a good builder would be wise to give them some strong competition. Sadly, I can't be in the market for one right now, but, yes, I do believe the market for such exists.

cotten

Yes I have owned some. If your planning on buying one I would def. invest in some glue, a good plane and some assorted clamps from stew-mac.
If you buy your clamps from Screw/Mac you won't be able to afford gtrs or groceries. Get 'em from a hardware or woodworking store.

Being a guy who already owns glue and clamps, I agree with the fella about old Regals and Stellas, etc. Buy 'em for a coupla hunnerd bucks or less (sometimes way less: estate sales and auctions), glue up the open seams, cleat a crack or two, string 'em up light, locate a parlor and ensconce yourself. I've even found insane brazilian rw gtrs for under 200. 'Course, that's just me. Probably plenty of fellas will pay 900 for one of those new ones.

pickaguitar

2011 TGP Silver Medalist
Gold Supporting Member
Pics would be great!

12 fret
nitro
short scale
affordable
volume

What's not to like?

Joe Tone

Gold Supporting Member
more info fer y'all' Lower bout 13.5", upper bout 9.5" depth 4 1/16" and width of neck - 1 3/4 at the nut. available in 2 scale lengths: 25.4 and 24.9.
I will take some pics if you guys want tomorrow of the one he's building for me. This one has some extra inlay and is Brazilian Rosewood.
Brazilian (no finish yet)

Front (brass pieces in bridge are just for temp. allign.)

neck

Headstock

Next one being made (no owner yet)

here a couple of electric protos from NAMM

an all Koa 000

One of my Favs. that I can't get him to sell me. Dreadnaught/old growth Brazilian.

and a really cool Bass

doublee

Honestly, it may be a good idea to do a super simple version with no logo, minimal trim etc, meaning it would have nothing to potentially put anyone off. The minute people design logos and get arty etc then the issues start. + it would save production time to just make a bare bones excellent guitar, then I would be interested. For example I dont feel comfortable with th Santa Cruz logo although excellent guitars for sure, same for Froggy Bottom...I just dont want to look at that evrytime I pick it up. Martin on the other hand is neutral design wise to me, just classic script and not trying to show off, may be something to that.

Trending Topics