Is there any love left for the Carr Mercury?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by davebc, Jan 14, 2006.

1. davebc

davebc Member

I don't hear much talk about the Mercury anymore, and was thinking about getting one for the house. The one I did hear sounded pretty amazing. Overpriced for 8 watts? Maybe Mercury owners could share your thoughts, likes, dislikes, before I take the plunge.
    (I know it's a different animal, but I still can't stop thinking about the new Tone King Meteor.)

2. mainsale

mainsale Member

I have one and it's a great amp for use in the living room. However, I just got a Maven Peal RG-88 and I like it better.

3. davebc

davebc Member

The MP must be pretty impressive. What is it that you like better?
    I'd hate to drop the dough for the Carr, just wake up the next day with more gas pains.
    I did get quoted a pretty good price on the Carr(1400).

4. mainsale

mainsale Member

That is an excellent price for the Merc and if you are planning to use it for practice around the house, you can't got wrong. What I like about the MP is his controllable Sag and Output Wattage controls. I love output tube saturation and I can get that at "Living Room" sound levels. Also, I wanted a Fenderish, 50's, sweet, syrupy, thick tone so the MP came with a pair of 6V6's and KT-66HP's which I can mix and match with the flick of a switch or two. There are Two channels as well. The MP RG-88 really does a lot. It comes as a head or combo. You should check it out at www.mavenpeal.com. Having said that, I have no plans to sell my Merc, just yet.

5. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

I've had a Mercury sitting in the corner of my living room for about 2 years now. It's a keeper. Amazing tones at volumes (1/2 watt setting) that don't piss off the wife or neighbors.

6. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I go back & forth on my Merc. Generally, I really like it. I have the older, KT66, version, although I've also tried it with a Winged C 6L6 & a Tung Sol RI EL34; I like the KT66 best. However, between my Princeton Reverb, and now my Swart, the Merc gets less & less love. I just like the other amps better, and I can get quite respectable tones out of them at comparable volumes. So, now I feel like it's a very expensive piece of equipment that is taking up space (and keeping assets from being liquid!) But I am trying to resist flipping it, because I worry I'll regret it. The truth is, of course, if I ever decide I "need" another one, I could get one, but I do still quite like the amp, and it was my first "booteek amp," so I'm kind of attached to it. But, compared to the PR or the AST, it sounds kind of stiff.

7. davebc

davebc Member

I was really floored (and surprized) by the Merc's old school in your face flat out balls.
    It definitely retained that sound and feel of a killer cranked amp.
    This particular one was loaded with an EL-34.
    I especially loved the 2nd boost position, incredible responsiveness throughout, great natural sustain, incredible bloom.
    Does the Maven Peal sound that incredible in the 2-8 watts area?
    I doubt the Carr would ever make a live debute except for a fairly small situation.
    But hey, this is the age of the small bar. lol!

8. mainsale

mainsale Member

Yep, the MP sounds that incredible!

9. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I love mine. The only gigging I do is at church and we always mic our amps so the Merc is perfect volume-wise for that.

Here are my likes:
    1. Great tone at low volume.
    2. Lightweight (35 lbs) and small for hauling back and forth to church.
    3. Absolutely loves OD pedals! Every one I've tried sounded good.
    4. Reverb is very nice.
    5. Super easy to bias when you change tubes.
    Here are my dislikes:
    1. Stock Kingpin speaker (it's okay but I replaced it with a Weber 1265C - big improvement)
    2. No tone controls in boost 1 and 2 - I find the boost positions very bright with my Strat. I need to use an EQ pedal.
    For church I run mine on the 2 watt setting with the volume at about half or a little more. Just starting to break up smoothly and sings with OD pedals.

10. Crazyquilt

In what way did the Weber improve the amp, David?

11. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

IMO the Kingpin was a bit bright. The Weber smoothed out the high end and thickened up the mids. Also, the amp breaks up a little sooner and a lot smoother.

12. Crazyquilt

Yeah, I can see how that'd help. Thanks.

13. davebc

davebc Member

Vry interesting. You guys definitely got me thinking.

14. davebc

davebc Member

I wish it were a little easier to demo a MP.
    my only criticism/concern ragarding the Carr is it's a lot of dough for 8watts(as amazing as it sounds)
    In that respect the MP offers a lot more versitility, 2 watts to 100 watts.
    And, this is what always happens, I end up conflicted.
    I should give the MP more consideration, especially if I can get the same textures I was hearing from the Carr, damn scarey sounding little amp though.

15. dzghia

dzghia Guest

I like the tone of the Carr too but at that price "obsessive" love comes to mind!

16. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

I work with a guy who's an electronics wizard and also a musician (he co-designed the POD for Line6) who's seen tons of gear in his life. After looking inside the Merc he told me he thought it was under-priced based on the types of components used, and the meticulous PTP circuit construction.

17. sage97

sage97 Member

How much do they cost?

18. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

You worked with a guy who co-designed the POD? Where do you work? What new products are you coming up with him? Are you showing anything at NAMM? Is it a POD like device with tubes? Maybe a PTP POD or something like that? DO share.

19. gpecoulas

gpecoulas Gold Supporting Member

Could you please describe what kind of Weber you put in your Carr Mercury? I could not seem to find it on Weber's website . Thanks