Is there any pedal like the Rat but based on JFets instead of OP Amps?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by imguitardan, Jan 2, 2008.

1. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

2. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

not that i know of but you can replace the clipping diodes with mosfet transistors. Beavis audio has a pedal called the FKBII (four knob rat) which is a tricked out rat with switches for all kinds of different clipping schemes including the mosfet clippers.

3. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I have one and although it is quite versatile I finally have come to the conclusion that my Rat days are long over and I am more of a low gain player. Still a great pedal with several outstanding tones available
    from LED to Mosfet to symmetrical to assymetrical clipping. Very thought out well designed unit.

4. justonwo

justonwo Member

I believe Freakshow will build you a custom Brown Rabbit. Shoot them an email and ask.

5. spentron

spentron Member

Which part of the Rat do you want? The Op amp is part of its distortion section. You could drive the clipping diodes with a JFET preamp. You could use similar pre-distort bass cut (many do). You can follow almost anything with a version of the Filter.

The one thing is it won't be a Rat.

(wow, actually found said something to say that's allowed here)

6. rewog

rewog Member

Exactly.
    The RAT gets a major part of it's characteristics from using a particular opamp in a particular way (distortion induced by virtue of the low slew rate of the opamp).
    You could build a JFET distortion, and voice it with a similar tone, but it won't be a RAT.

7. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

To make it with FETs instead of an opamp, you could either just make a simple FET booster with clipping diodes and a simple tone control, or you could try to duplicate the LM308 opamp using discreet FETs. Not recommended...
    [​IMG]

8. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Thanks for all the help. I'm into checking out the Beavis FKR but really don't think I could navigate all those options. I think a JFet OD/Dist that's voices and controlled like a Rat'd be nice.

9. speed12

speed12 Member

Definitely not a Rat and is probably a bit higher gain, but the Subdecay blackstar is a JFET distortion. Apparently it is a sort of a Liquid Sunshine with a built in boost to kick the gain over the top (ok, its a lot more complicated than that, but thats the simple semi-explanation given on the website!), so if thats a bit too high gain, then maybe a liquid sunshine with a seperate clean boost so you can adjust the actual boost level?

Possibly......and again it wont really sound like a Rat at the end of the day!