Is There Any Pedal That Can Give You Jcm800 Chords Clearly?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ahltarocka, Feb 12, 2008.

1. ahltarocka

ahltarocka Supporting Member

I know there have been many threads about this subject. I have owned many pedals that claim to truly mimic the JCM 800. What I find is that on chords which I mainly use it for, the chords never truly sound clear from TOP TO BOTTOM if you know what I mean, there is always some muffled sound. I have owned and sold the following:
    Crunch Box
    KOB
    COT50
    COT50 Gold
    Plextortion(Have it presently on my board, debating about keeping it)
    Plexi-Drive

I do own a BOR and it does a great JTM45.
    What say you. Any suggestions?

Strat Plus>Fender Hot Rod Deluxe>Wilson Rippah Q-Wah>GSR>Eterntiy>Plextortion>BOR>Voodoo Labs Analog Chorus>Echo JR.
    ROCK ACROSS THE UNIVERSE!!!:RoCkIn

2. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

have you tried an original Marshall Guvnor? Pretty amazing pedal IMO. Great for tight rythm playing.

3. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Any version of the BSIAB II will do what you want including, but probably not limited to, the CMATMODS Brownie and the Kaden Brown Creeper . Big growling low end and the closest to the real hi mid marshall bite I've heard from a pedal.

I have 2 exceptions though

1. the stock DIY circuit has too much gain for good rhythm tones IMO and definitely benefits from using lower gain transistors. The brown creeper comes with all medium gain trannies stock. CMATMODS will graciously use whatever trannies you prefer. I started with all medium gain and then swapped out the first 2 for even lower gain transistors.

2. Because of the excellent mid bass and cutting treble the pedal can sound a bit scooped especially through fender type amps. I didn't really notice it UNTIL I kicked in the timmy which added a definite mid presence to the Brownie which brought it to another level. Works well with a TS type pedal set for low or no gain as well.

JCM rhythm tones all day long with strats no less. Humbuckers take you right to hair-band spandex glory. The lower gain tones are equally great with much less aquanet.

I have been through:
    BOR
    Crunchbox
    OCD v.3
    Boss OD-3
    Barber DD
    Blackstone
    Tech 21 double drive
    DS-1
    Etc, etc.

Still looking at the Jetter GS black.

4. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

5. dave s

dave s Member

Are you playing a Strat Plus through a Fender HRD?

I have a Crunch Box and play a strat through the HRD 212 at band rehearsals sometimes. It doesn't provide very good string-to-string clarity through that amp for some reason.

Whatever pedal you get, try rolling off the volume knob on the guitar a bit. It usually cleans things up enought to increase the string definition you're looking for. Kinda more 'plexi-ish' than a really tight JCM800 dist, though.

dave

6. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

What about the Jetter Black?

7. ahltarocka

I am playing a strat plus with Dimazio Pups through a HRD 112. Did not like the crunch box.

8. ahltarocka

To be honest I wasn't that impressed with the Jetter Black on the Jetter Website. I do have the GSR and really dig it.

9. ahltarocka

Never heard of the Kaden Brown Creeper. But I will check it out. Sorry to sound dumb but what is BSIAB II?

10. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

My favorite Marshall sounding pedal into a clean (twin) amp was the Radial Tonebone Hot British..Really made the twin sound like a wound up jcm800.

11. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

The BSIABII is a circuit by a DIY pedal guru by the name of Ed Guidry. It stands for Brown Sound In A Box. He released the second version of his circuit to the masses and it is now sold as a kit at general guitar gadgets.com. Its also sold as a completed pedal by CMATMODS and Kaden under different names.

Its an excellent pedal that lives up to its name.

12. rockford

rockford Member

Got to chime in on the Bsiab2. Unbelievably good sounding pedal. It does benefit from some tweaks to circuitry, but the feel is the most amp like of any pedal I've tried. Including: crunch box, gt500, hermida mosferatu, rat, tube screamer, and several others. This is kind of under the radar, but a truly worthwhile find. Can't say enough about this little box, it is really responsive to your playing and helps to bring out your best.

13. 4styx

4styx Member

What he said!Any Fender amp set CLEAN.

14. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

fr8's brownie is the all-time greatest that i have ever heard at this sound. . . . followed by a timmy for eq and some more more more. . . it is truly unbeatable to my ears. . . and sounds like a marshall through a drri. . . with a strat (noiseless bridge pickup by bill lawrence. . . the 290)

the keeley rat followed by a timmy is excellent, but not the same. .. it has more fuzzy qualities. . . which i like. . .

the crunch box is a tricked-out guvnor. . . for those who don't know that yet. . . . so if you didn't like a crunchbox, you MAY not like the guv. . . or you might. . . if it was closebutnocigar. . .

15. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

16. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    I've owned both a JCM 800 and 900 in the past. Now have a Mesa 5:50.
    Your Fender amp with the Strat - is obviously not right for the Marshall JCM800 tone.
    I have no prob's nailing the JCM800 tones with my Mesa, a Crunchbox with a Gretsch Jet and an SG. I have a Strat Plus too with Hot Gold PUP's. The single coils are not ideal for the JCM800 tone but it's ok with the Crunchbox & Mesa.
    THe Hot Rod Deluxe is a great amp - I'm not knocking it at all but if you can't nail the JCM800 tone with a Crunchbox then you'll never get it with that amp & a Strat.
    Try the Fender amp with humbuckers :cool:

17. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Land of Enchantment/Entrapment. Depending on view
    The JCM800 chords sound.....yes...
    Jetter GSR
    Mosferatu
    Emma Reeza FRATizitz
    T C Jaurenig Diabolical Gristletone

18. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

The Marshall Shredmaster is a great JCM800 sound. Get the BYOC kit and build your own or buy one pre-built. Keep the gain around 3 o'clock and your chord clarity remains pretty good.

For really great clarity, I can't say enough about the BJF Dyna Red. I just got a Crunchbox today to compare to it, and I have to say there really is no comparison. It sounds fizzy and weak in comparison. The DRD has a sonic character un-matched by any distortion pedal I have ever played.

19. Joses

Joses Member

Jetter Black for sure...if its JCM800 chords you want, i recommend go with absolutely nothing else!

The clips don't do it justice...really

20. ahltarocka

So would you say the Brownie and ask the manufacturer to swap out transitiors or go with the Brown Creeper or try the GSB? You seem to know the deal. What are your thoughts?