Is There Any Phaser Out There to Satisfy Me?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Josh O, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Josh O

Josh O Member

I guess I'm just an ass, I've been through many phasers and am never satisfied with the results. I'm currently using an HBE Psilocybe and it is a pretty decent pedal but I'm still not happy and want a Boss/MXR sized pedal to save space on my board for future growth. My phaser tone I would really like to nail is The Rover. The EVH phaser tone would be nice too but I really like that deep, slow phase Jimmy had going on. Here's what I've owned in the past, I mean no disrespect to those who own what I did and didn't care for:

Three different variations of the MXR Phase90 reissue - Not one of them did it for me, robbed tone when on, one was DOA in the box, the other two just didn't have that EVH Phase90 to it

MXR EVH Phase 90 - Pedal looked cool with the striping and blue LED but still didn't get there and I didn't really hear much difference between the modern and script modes

E/H Small Stone Russian reissue - I'm also a sucker for the Smashing Pumpkins sound and although this pedal had a deep whooshing phase to it, it fried in six months. The USA reissue has crossed my mind but the pedal is too big.

Boss Super Phaser - Sounded good in the store, too many knobs and stages to fiddle with, never could get what I wanted out of it.

Maxon Phasetone PT999 - Could've been a keeper, simple, MXR sized, didn't rob tone when on but it was way too subtle, even after fiddling with the internal pot.

HBE Psilocybe - This is what I'm currently using and it's a well built pedal but still not a deep phase too it and a bigger footprint than what I want.

I know there are some others out there like the Red Witch, the Shannon Phaser, the USA reissue of the E/H Small Stone, a more expensive Maxon but none fit into the footprint of the MXR or Boss. I don't want to head down the vintage pedal route. What am I missing? Is there a more boutique manufacturer who makes say a nice E/H Small Stone type phaser? How is the latest Boss phaser offering, the Phase Shifter?

2. bchamorro

bchamorro Member

The Digitech Phaser has been the best phaser ive tried, but I don't know if its true bypass.

3. Shon Kornfeld

Shon Kornfeld Member

you should definately check out the Toneczar Halophaze, it should be released this summer. pics and clips on the site http://toneczareffects.com/lg-home.htm

a few existing Toneczar customers, including myself, are getting to buy the first ones made, im told we should have em within a month. i personally cant wait as ive had a phase 90 in my rig for the past 9 years or so, and i think this things is gonna destroy it! :dude

4. Sid

Sid Member

The most versative phaser is the Red Witch...pricey and large though....if you are looking for a more affordable option..check out the Tonefactor Nebula....:dude

5. Wooley

Wooley Member

Hey, don't want this to sound like I'm challenging your opinion in any way, but, Phase is my favorite effect, and I've got a lot of em, and I don't think I can get a deeper phase with any of them than I can with the Psilocybe. That's one of the reasons that it is my choice after all this time, I feel like I can get anything out of it. Real light chorusey stuff, a fantastic vibe-like sound, and as thick of a classic MXR deep phase as anything I've ever heard. I recommend playing with it a little more, especially with both switches to the middle (MXR-type phase) or with both switches to the right (vibe-like phase), and really get those knobs clockwise.
    If you're not satisfied with what the Psilocybe can do, I think there are still two really good possiblities left. One is to find a Shannon Phaser used on ebay (he quit making them). These are phenomenal phasers, my only complaint has been that it's a little too deep for me, so it might be just right for you. The other is to get a Mutron Phasor II. This has a huge footprint, but is so versatile and so beautiful, it is completely worth it.
    Good luck

6. Josh O

Josh O Member

Thanks so far everyone. Wooley, I'll take any advice I can and the Psilocybe really does offer alot of stuff in one box. I'm curious as to what you set your knobs to to to get a deep MXR type tone. When you say both switches in the middle, I assume you mean to the left or does your Psilocybe have three way toggle switches? Maybe I'm just missing the boat on using it effectively.

7. tocs100

tocs100 Member

I've heard the Tonefactor Nebula/DOD 201 described as subtle, so that's prob. not what you want. Have you looked at the Retrosonic Phaser at Tonefactor? It's a Phase 90 Clone with 2 more knobs for tweaking. That one really got my attn., and I'd love to try one.

8. Steve L

Steve L Supporting Member

I was never much of a phaser fan, but once I decided to get one, I tried out several at the local store and ended up with the Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser. Can't stop playing with it--I just spent the entire evening trying out different settings---and I've had it for 3 or 4 weeks!
    Haven't played it "out" yet...but I'm having fun thinking of the possibilities. And that includes acoustic guitar and possibly mandolin!

9. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Seriously. Listen to the Halophaze clips. It goes beyond what a conventional phazer can do. I sounds amazing.

10. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

No doubt the Halophaze will be amazing.

If you don't want to drop that much coin, do check out the RetroSonic Phaser. Simple, yet versatile. I'd gone through many phases (ha ha, get it?), before I found, IMO, the perfect phaser. Deep, lush, vibey, chorusy, this one seems to have it all. If you don't like it, they've got a nice resale value on them.

11. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

I like phasers but I've never owned one. A couple weeks ago at the Chicago ToneFest I checked out the Cusack both. The pedal that made the greatest impression on my was his phaser. I was really impressed. He's got a crapload of wave forms in there and there's lots of tailoring that can be done by the user. I would encourage any phaser shopper to check this thing out. Cusack doesn't have it on their site yet but I'm sure you could ask them about it.

12. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Retrosonic Phaser.

I have been through the EH, Pigtronix, Lovepedal, Mojo Vibe, Red Witch, Shannon, etc. (I dig phasers/vibes don't you know!). The Retrosonic sounds great, and has both Depth and Level controls (in addition to the necessary Speed knob) - it is TB - has a really bright blue LED - MXR sized box - and nails the old MXR Phase tone.

My all-time fav is the EH (had it for over 30 years!), but it is not TB and beat all to hell. Next would be the Red Witch - tons and tons of phaser mojo, but the box is large and the jacks are on the sides causing it to take up too much pedalboard real estate. The Lovepedal and Sweet Sound Mojo Vibes are Uni-vibe clones and sound great, but not as readily usable as a regular vibe for a large variety of tunes (IMO). The Shannon is very comparable to the RS, but it lacks the Depth control which allows the user to dial in sublte phasing effects. The Pigtronix didn't work for me at all....

All things considered, the RS has the right combination of great tone, small footprint, best and most usable features - and it looks cool! One of them hangs on my board.

Just my $.02....

13. tocs100

tocs100 Member

Hey gitpicker, does the level control mix the wet/dry signals, or is it just an overall boost/cut?

14. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

The "Speed" knob is self-explanatory.

The "Depth" knob controls the intensity of the effect. Very cool, as it allows you to dial in very subtle phasing tones.

The "Level" knob controls the overall output (volume) of the pedal. Many phaser users complain that there is a drop in volume when the pedal is engaged. The Level knob on the RS allows you to control this - you can cut volume, run at unity gain, or even boost the volume (slightly) with this knob.

I believe there is an internal trim pot which allows the user to set the center frequency of the phase sweep (think a kind of a tone control). I have never messed with mine, cause the pedal sounds great as is from the builder.

Hope this helps!

15. tocs100

tocs100 Member

Very helpful--thanks gitpicker.

Would you happen to know if the Phase 90 has an internal depth control (or the BYOC)?

16. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Boss PH-1R - old Japanese model. Ignore your experience with the PH-2, it's an entirely different pedal.

The PH-1R is the best small phaser I know of. It can accurately duplicate the tone of a Phase 90 - I set mine up together and with the Boss set right you could not tell which one was on except that the MXR overdrives when hit hard - and way more besides, inclusing that lush, deep, slow sweep. It has three controls - Rate, Depth, Resonance - but isn't tough to dial in.

If it has any faults it's that is a tiny bit noisy - most older phasers are - and it has a small volume boost (low-end especially) when on. But it just sounds so good I don't mind.

17. zzzezums

zzzezums Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Boss PH-1r.
    John, do you have any preferred settings?

18. Wooley

Wooley Member

Left switch to the right, right switch to the left, depth past 12, speed to taste.

19. b_rad

b_rad Member

If the Psilocybe doesn't do a deep enough phase for you I don't think the Retro-Sonic will either. I'd probably suggest getting someone to rehouse a USA Small Stone for you. It sounds like it would do the sound that you want.

20. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

The NEW re-issue Script Phase 90 from Dunlop is really very good and has "hard bypass" meaning the switch is directly conntected to the output when the pedal has no power but it via the circuit board, not wires (footswitch is mounted to the board). Like it much more than the EVH which I had...very classic cound and believe what Page used to use.

Had the Retro-Sonic and I think Tim can do a mod where the Level knob can be truned into a Feedback/Regeneration control which I intedned to do but need the cash so i had to sell it (GREAT phaser with a very creamy sound though minmal feedback, less so than the Phase 90). Likely that would be the best as it has Depth and Speed controls. True bypass, quiet and lots of headroom.

Red Witch is also VERY good and there are a couple of settings that are in the Phase 90 / Phase 100 camp but it is the same size as the HBE turned sideways so it does not get that small.

The tone Factor is a DOD 201 clone (as far as I know) which is a 2 stage phaser (MXR Phase 45) and much more like a "vibe" sound with minial "churn". Lovely for clean and after and OD but not stong enough to really do much in front of an OD (gets lost as does the Retro Sonic a little bit).

I would check out the new Script Phase 90 or as mentioned contact Retro-Sonic and ask if you can get one with the Feedback mod. That would likey get you as close to where you seem to want to be.