Is there any quality control at Celestion UK???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hacinador, Dec 7, 2016.

1. hacinador

hacinador Member

I'm very unhappy to start this thread, but I'm quite angry about my experimence with Celestion UK products :(

I must say I love the company and their speakers. I adore Celestion sound! I have tried many other brands, but Celestion speakers are just the right ones for me.

But here are my "experiences" with Made in UK Celestions from last few years:

- I bouth two G12M Heritage 16ohm speakers. One has a problem with the cone, there was a really big cone cry. The other one was OK. The "bad" speaker was new, so I got an other one from the shop. OK, no problem, just some stupid walk to the post office etc., you know how bothering it can be...

- I bought two G12H 75Hz Heritage 16ohm speakers. One has a problem with the cone, it made some buzing sound when some lower frequencies were played. Again, I got a new speaker from the shop. No problem at all...

After my experiences with those Heritage speakers I started to "test" all my new speakers. I always sent some lower frequency (100Hz sine, I use about 3 volts, so the speaker is tested VERY gently) to test the cone. If there is something bad, it will make some weird sound.

I bought some Vintage 30s, some G12M ri Greenbacks, G10N-40s... All were made in China. I tested them all, no problems, all were GREAT! I should say that I help my friends with their gear etc., so I'm buying things a lot. I have bought about five dozens of Celestion speakers in few last years...

- About 3 months ago, I bough two G10 Gold 16ohm speakers. One made a really weird sound when I tried to do some of my tests. It showed that there was two quite big drops of glue that were between the cone and the frame. The cone hit those drops and it made some stupid noise. I tried the speaker with my amp - it was really bad, there were some horrible noises coming from the speaker. So I returned it again and got a new one. No problem at all...

- Few days ago I blew my four years old G12 Gold 16 ohm (50W) with my 15W amp. No pedals, only guitar to the amp, I played the A on the G string few times and it killed the speaker. I said "OK, it can happen", no problem at all. I also started the thread on the TGP about this to get some info, 'cause I was quite nervous about my other speakers...

- Yesterday, I bouth two G10 Gold 8 ohm speakers. I wanted to build a 210 cab that could be used with my Bad Cat amp. Today, I tested both G10 Gold speakers. One of them has some problem with the cone, it made some "click" buzz sounds when I sent some 100hz to it. Thne, I very gently tried to move the cone with my hands, I was so lucky to find a spot that made that click sound. It seems there is some drop of glue or something that hits the cone and it makes that stupid sound...

So I will send the speaker to the retailer again. The retailer must think that I'm some idiot that likes to ruin the most expensive speakers just for fun! What a nice feeling!

I must say again that I have no problems with Chinese Celestions. They are made so well, there must be very strict quality limits at the factory. But my experiences with UK made ones? A half of them: just lemons... I'm I weirdo? Do I have a bad luck?

How about your experience???

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    abnerfm likes this.
  2. bullet6759

bullet6759 Silver Supporting Member

What do you use to generate the 100hz tone?

3. hacinador

hacinador Member

Tone generator for PC. I go from the PCs sound card to my power amp and then I send the signal to the speaker. I used to use a small 10 volt transformator that I pluged directly to wall socket to have the 50Hz frequency (I am in Europe), but I needed something "better", because I tried to repair or build some tube amps etc.

bullet6759 likes this.
  4. 2tone

2tone Silver Supporting Member

they have always had problems. A certain percentage will have issues. This has been going on for 25 years..

5. hacinador

hacinador Member

but nearly 50% ratio? :(

6. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

You might just have been particularly out of luck with these. Sometimes lightning does strike twice and then some.

But as was the case with my hero EJ back in the 80s, most of the G12-80 speakers he tried did have some flaw to it causing unwanted overtones. He had to go through countless of speakers to find a quad that was to scratch. I believe Celestion by design are more prone to flaws this way. The more headroom present in the cone, the less likely the chance of these artifacts. This is why Fanes, by comparison, almost never come down with cone cry, wolf notes, et al.

onetracker likes this.
  7. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

Im sure some slip past QC, but I've had 4x UK Creambacks, 4x UK V30s, a UK Blue and a UK Gold. Not to mention all the chinese made Celestions I've had. Never a problem with a single one of them.

8. Echomachine

Echomachine Member

I've had the same experience too. I think the overall quality has gone down.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  9. slybird

slybird Member

I have a 4x12 with 75 watt Celestion speakers, I can't remember the model. Speakers and cab was made in the 70s. They are still going strong.

I also had two Mesa Made in Ipswitch V30s. One went intermittent. Since then I've sold both V30s and purchased two Eminence speakers to replace the Celestions and had money left over. Eminence are a fraction of the price, made in America, and they sound good to me. I probably will never go back to Celestion.

10. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

So, just buy the Chinese ones. Duh !!

11. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Why not just play through them like a normal person and see if it goes away. If Celestion had a 50% failure rate all the time, they would have been out of business 40 years ago.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  12. zzzzzzz

zzzzzzz Supporting Member

I'd say stick with the Chinese ones if you can or buy Austin Speaker Works! They do the "celestion" sound better than celestion haha. Expensive yes, but you are guaranteed an amazing tone with no issues.. not even the slightest bit of cone cry.

I'm a big celestion fan but ASW takes the cake for those speaker tones.

Scumback is a close runner up to ASW as well. Of course there is no substitute for certain speakers like a blue or gold.

My 2 cents

13. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

What makes you sure that your test method is able to pick problem speakers from good ones, and/or is causing you to find fault with what is otherwise normal speaker behavior?

14. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Why 100Hz ? That's pretty low and I suspect well below spec for a guitar speaker.
    What note is that ?

15. hacinador

hacinador Member

1. Please check the frequency range for any Celestion guitar speaker...
    2. Please check what is the frequency range of the E2 note...

16. gazzy_burns

gazzy_burns Member

Hhaha, and you pay through the roof for these so called 'UK made products'. BTW, I live here, and we really are failing at the moment. Brexit is a prime example. I hope all of your problems are sorted.

Goes to show that China really can manufacture fantastic gear.

17. Sencha

Sencha Member

Ipswich!!! My home town.

18. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

Am I the only one who thinks there's just something "off" about this thread and the one about blowing a Gold from the the OP? Not "off" in the sense of dishonesty, just "off" in the sense of "this guy is doing/hearing something in a weird way."

65DuoSonic likes this.
  19. louis

louis Member

On the positive side ,........I would definitely buy gear of you cause you check everything!!

abnerfm likes this.
  20. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

Celestion's made in China are priced at least 4 times too costly..just for the label...imho. IF you don't understand that, then you endorse virtual slave labor to make rich people richer. What is the name of the corporation in Taiwan that owns all of this Celestion stuff.....Rose Intl??? There are great 'Celestion' sounding speakers made here in the U.S. As to the quality control of English Celestions, I have no comment. I don't buy them either. There are American made speakers that sound as good or better, so those are my choices. I have bought two 'modern' English
    Celestions....on was a Blue and one was a GM12 Reissue...from the late '90's. I bought them in unused condition in the boxes from a fellow who thought he needed one of them in his modern Gibson amp. I sold the Blue long ago. Side note: I don't care for the Blue either. IF I want a flat soudn out of an amp, I can dial that soudn in with the EQ. IF I don't have a good, full spectrum sepaker, I can't achieve a variety of sound. The modern Blue is dull, imho. I have tow silver Bulldog Celestion Alnico G12's from circa 1966 that are fantastic speakers in comparison. The NIB G12M 16 ohm sits around waiting for an application...or a sale. I'll test it for you, hacinador, before shipment??? I have little use for a 16 ohm, low wattage speaker.
    hacinador may live somewhere other than the U.S., so this may not apply to his particular situation. IF a person does not spend their money where their A$$ lives, then that person should not worry about the number of jobs where his A$$ lives. I do NOT give 4-5 times as much as something is worth just because it has a certain label on it.

Captain, fwiw, the 5th string A on a guitar is 110hz. A440hz is the 5th fret, 1st string....in standard tuning at least. I have heard/read of that 110hz A playing havoc with certain Celestions.