Is there any reason for a 4X12 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by heavypick, Aug 31, 2008.

1. heavypick

heavypick Member

Just started thinking about why people buy them. They sound great, sure, but you never use them at a gig because either you're mic'd, or there's a house cab. And it's also heavy as heck.

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

A lot of nu-metal bands use them for appearence purposes. A friend of mine does even though a 2x12 would work just fine. Funny but true. Bob

3. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

standing on a combo or quarter stack for the big kerrang just isn't as fun.

4. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

More projection. Also, so your sound can be consistant without worrying about the sound guy or his equipment.

Oh, and they sound awesome.

5. blesscurse

blesscurse Member

Cumbersome, large, heavy, but they do sound wonderful. Bass response is great, and on a large stage they work. I've never liked having anything but vocals and drums in the monitors, so having a large cab serves as a monitor.... On a tiny stage or in a small club, they are a bit of a pain, not that that used to stop me....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, in the old days, it was more like this:

[​IMG]

6. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

coverage, sound, fullness on stage, 4x12's can be great.

7. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

I've said it before.........

Slant 4x12 cab, means you can hear yourself
    They are the right height to put your head on, so you can adjust knobs without bending over.
    They usually come with castors, unlike most 212's.
    Even at low volume, you get a nice thump that's have to get from a 212

best of all, they look way cool

8. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Everyone had their days of four twelve.

9. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

I own three old Marshall basketweave 4x12s, and several 1x12 setups both open and closed. I gave up on 2x12s, as I either like it as small and light as possible or I want the best tone I can possibly get. A 2x12 is a good compromise for some folks.

Even though 1x12s and 2x12s sound just fine out in front of the PA, they can be lacking onstage especially outdoors or on deep stages. A 4x12 will give you plenty of low end no matter where you play and no matter if you have any monitor. Even though a great monitor setup can make a 1x12 sound killer, if the PA will be rented and of unknown spec I'll bring a 4x12 if I can. If the material requires anything in the power chord department, a 4x12 is it period IMHO.

I actually play more smoothly and with less effort with a 4x12, as I can hear the low strings much better. I can only stand my 1x12 amps on big stages with either some monitor, or at least enough mains coming back that I can hear the miked up lows somehow.

Outside many small amps sound totally different, where the sealed 4x12 is more consistent and not very dependent on the stage acoustics at all. Here in Nashville even though small combos rule you would be surprised at how much studio stuff gets recorded these days on a 4x12, even today's "country".

www.myspace.com/glenkuykendall

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  10. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

11. Paul86

Paul86 Member

"Is there any reason for a 4X12 cab?"
    Well, there are four reasons, to be exact.

12. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Here we go around the mullberry bush once again...

Do a "Search"!

This issue has been covered, and covered...

[​IMG]

13. oldrock

oldrock Member

a 4x12 is a great tool for mid sized gigs where you might not want to use the PA. It also is handy for placing a head at easy reach. I love my 1960A for gigs although I certainly don't gig like I used to. For playing at home or smaller jam type music, I have a 1x12 closed cab which helps the single 12" speaker sound a little more like the nice full response of a 4x12. Even though I rarely use my 4x12, I still need to have have one at the ready just in case. Does that make me weird?

14. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

why do people buy 3/4 ton pickup trucks and never use the back?
    i have 4x12s that i use at home and 2x12s that are mobile. i prefer 4x12s, though my vertical 2x12 is almost 'there'.

15. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

I've noticed since my early days that a sealed 4x12 is very directional, and a straight even more so up and down of course. I used to think this was a bad thing, and it kind of is if you aren't miking it at all for side to side coverage. That said, since they are so directional I've found with careful aiming I actually get fewer volume complaints with my 4x12 than even my 1x12 Fender Deluxe.

16. photios

photios Member

man, why not a 4x12?

They sound soooooooooo much better than 2x12 cabs...plus they look ultra cool...plus they have casters on them which actually makes them easier to haul than most 2x12's.

The only time I lift my 4x12 is when I put it in the back of my SUV...its a short lift and the bumper helps me guide it up into my vehicle. Once I get to the venue there's always a loading dock or a ramp to the stage. And a halfstack doesnt take up any more of a footprint on stage than a 2x12...so again, I would say why not a 4x12?

17. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

I've got a 2x12 that seems as heavy as a 4x12! 4x12's still the choice for me. The best thing about 4x12's is I don't have to bend over as far to adjust the amp!

18. oldmanmetal

oldmanmetal Senior Member

I use 2 4x12 cabs in stereo. In extreme music the levels are much higher than what most people play here. Not too many 2x12's can handle that. Triggered drums, and 8x10 ampeg cabs are hard to hang with at over 200 beats per minute with a small cab, miced or not. 2-300 screaming kids and a mosh pit means they better feel it as well as hear it. Not exactly a small blues/classic rock gig. 4x12's are a must for this type of music.

19. mrt

mrt Member

everything just sounds better thru a 4x12.

and they look cool too.

20. Melodyman

Melodyman Member

This seems to be a recurring topic on this forum, lol. :)

It's really not so much about volume these days which seems to be the main point of contention the haters are always railing against them for.
    They sound and feel different than smaller cabs, period.

I love them, but I also have smaller cabs as well.

Variety is the spice of life...