Is there any reason to get a Princeton over a Deluxe???

Shades of Blue

Supporting Member
The 68 Custom Deluxe seems to have it all. It's got a 12" speaker, a bassman and Deluxe tone stack, reverb and tremolo. It's light enough, and it is a modest 22 watts. But.....I can't help but gas for a Princeton in one of the LTD 12" versions.....

Is there any real reason to forego a Deluxe in favor of a 12" Princeton???

MattC

Princeton tremolo sounds a little sweeter to some. I really like both amps, but given a choice between the two, deluxe every time for me.

m@2

I would say unless you're looking at vintage, there isn't a great reason to get the Princeton if you are happy with the Deluxe. Maybe consider the Stapleton reissue brown Princeton just to get more significantly different tones?

Mr Fingers

I prefer the Princeton, though with the standard 10" speaker, not a 12. I like the fact that the 10" pushes considerably less air, as the combination of low wattage and smaller speaker hit exactly the sweet spot for me. I play with plenty of low end, and find that the 10" speaker makes that tighter and more controlled and I can still dial up low end power. I use a Weber Beam Blocker on my 1-speaker amps, and I tilt them as well. Works great.

gillman royce

Supporting Member
I prefer the Princeton, though with the standard 10" speaker, not a 12. I like the fact that the 10" pushes considerably less air, as the combination of low wattage and smaller speaker hit exactly the sweet spot for me. I play with plenty of low end, and find that the 10" speaker makes that tighter and more controlled and I can still dial up low end power. I use a Weber Beam Blocker on my 1-speaker amps, and I tilt them as well. Works great.
Curious as to the guitar you pair with this amp . THX.

HotBluePlates

... Is there any real reason to forego a Deluxe in favor of a 12" Princeton???
  1. You don't need the extra volume.
  2. You don't need an extra channel.
  3. Can't deal with the Vibrato channel bright cap, and won't just cut it out.
  4. Like the rounder Princeton tremolo more than the Deluxe's choppier tremolo.
  5. Need to save a tiny bit of space & weight.
Do they really sound that similar to people?

To me Princeton is stronger in the mids. ...
EDIT: I had a lot of trouble seeing past the way I always play my DR in a way that defeats the bright cap, which would definitely make that amp brighter and more "scooped sounding" than a Princeton Reverb. Because I turn up my DR to 7-8, the bright cap has little influence, and the sound is much closer to that of the PR. I always forget that others don't do the same, and have different experience as a result!! You can probably skip past the ensuing debate between me & @jpastras, or see my comments as being confused how others would hear something so different than I do. The answer is, I'm setting my amp up differently than most! :bonk

The circuits are nearly identical, except for the tremolo and the phase inverter. Output transformer impedance is a little different (yielding less power output in the Princeton), but that too won't change the sound.

If a Princeton Reverb sounds like "more mids" it can only be because of speaker & cabinet size. Everything else in the two amps is close enough to being identical, that they're functionally identical.

Last edited:

candid_x

Supporting Member
The Deluxe is bigger and has more mid scoop until it's turned up. But at that point it will need to be louder than the Princeton. Also, at least to these ears, the Princeton is grainier and the Deluxe glassier, at least at lower volumes. There's no better other than what you prefer.

Gridlock

I would say yes, but I own a Deluxe Reverb and a Vibrolux Reverb.

I have owned a vintage BF Princeton Reverb with the original Jensen and I do regret selling that amp.

Last edited:
After owning the 68 CDR for over a year, digging it, and knowing what I know now, the Daph blue and white Princeton FSR with Jensen p10r is money. in. the. bank! Such a nice sounding amplifier, something about the high-end grind in the p10r that just slays me. The Super RI that comes stock with those is absolutely fantastic as well. I’m thinking I need to build a 410 loaded with them to curb my GAS for a Super.

But enough about me and my wants... I haven’t played a Princeton with a 12 so I can only speculate but I got a good feeling it would sound and respond similarly to a deluxe save for the cab dimensions. Call me crazy but it sure seems like a speakers SPL has a larger impact on headroom than a 10 watt variance between the two amps in question. I dunno, maybe I just like Princetons because I don’t have one. :dunno

I suggest you play as many amps as you can, you’d be surprised how even though two models are the same, one could very well have just that liiiiiiiitle bit extra over the other. Kinda like Don Felder’s magical 5e3.

Trending Topics