Is there any reason why the Scarab Deluxe shouldn't be my first BA fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by big jilm, Aug 9, 2018.

1. big jilm

big jilm Supporting Member

Hi, all -

I am about to purchase a Basic Audio fuzz, and I am just looking for some opinions.

I am new to fuzz - I just got a Musket Fuzz, and I love it. I understand that it is a sort of Big Muff type thing, so I don't want to buy a fuzz that is in the same vein - even though the Alter Destiny clips just sound awesome. I like the Musket for the cello-violin sustainy thing. At home (lower volume) I run pedals into a Box of Rock JTM-45 sounding pedal (which I really dig for low volume stuff) into a clean Carr Mercury V. The Musket sounds really cool running like this.

I am thinking the Scarab Deluxe because the clips sound great, and I understand that it is in a sort of Tone Bender class, which makes it quite different from the Musket Fuzz Muff thing, and that it is really versatile.

But! The Spooky Tooth sounds great in clips... and the Fuzz Mutant too!... and the...
    In other words, they all sound pretty awesome, so I am kinda paralyzed. John's videos with splatt sound so good, I want them all.

Any reason why the Scarab Deluxe shouldn't be my first BA fuzz?

Thanks! I know these topics are done to death, but I wanted to add my own situation to it.

wrightdude likes this.
  2. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

I’m starting my fuzz journey as well found one I really like the sound of, so I’m going for it.

Get that BA and enjoy!

big jilm likes this.
  3. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

Scarab Deluxe is a fine introduction to Basic Audio FUZZES. :aok Think of it as a gateway drug.

4. jfwund

jfwund Member

Love my Scarab Deluxe. Super versatile, sounds great, just a really useful pedal. I've had a bunch of BA pedals, and the SD is still my favorite...

big jilm likes this.
  5. Seance

Seance Member

No reason not to. How well it works with your guitar/amp combo is subjective and something
    you'll have to judge for yourself.

One thing I'd say about BA fuzz pedals is that they tend to have a lot of volume on tap and the
    controls are all interactive. Unlike with a standard Fuzz Face, where you basically have to dime the
    Volume and Fuzz and then use the volume knob on your guitar for shades of gain, most BA fuzz pedals
    I've tried have enough volume on tap so that you can set the Fuzz low, find an interesting texture and
    then turn up the pedal's Volume to get the desired level you need. Same can go for adjusting the pedal's
    Bias knob (or Fat or other Tone knobs that the fuzz pedal might have).

Big Muff type fuzz don't really have "volume knob cleanup" or "tone knob" textures by adjusting the
    controls on the guitar. I don't have a Scarab Deluxe, but I know that there is cleanup on the Fuzz Mutant,
    and some interesting textures by adjusting the guitar's tone knob.

big jilm likes this.
  6. big jilm

Yes! My Musket doesn’t really clean up with the volume knob on my guitar very well.

Will the Scarab do a good job with that?

7. Seance

Seance Member

Like I said, I don't have one. But I think it will.

Using the search button I found this post that claims that it
    cleans up well. And also this one.

big jilm likes this.
  8. jfwund

jfwund Member

Of course it's rig-dependent to a degree, but you can set the SD to clean up with the volume knob on the guitar - if memory serves, the bias needs to be past 1:00, and the amount of cleanup depends on how much fuzz you've got dialed in. It's not going to clean up like a fuzz face, but much better than a muff.

If you have the bias at 10:00 or below, lowering the volume can get you some glitchy/sputtery type sounds too...

big jilm likes this.
  9. big jilm

Thanks very much, all! Enjoying reading the wisdom in this thread.

10. johnetone

johnetone Member

I think the Scarab Deluxe will likely pleasel your weasel. But the other fuzz that has a canonical spot in the BA library (not to be mistaken with website :confused:) is the Orpheum GE. I think that you might enjoy that a bit more if you want something that's versatile and can still get raunchy as ****! It is also further away from a muff sound than the SD, so it will probably feel more useful if you plan on keeping the Musket in your lineup. Let us know what you end up doing! John's work is spectacular!

Edit: I jabbed hastily in my comment above; I just checked John's website and it is finally getting some much needed updates! So cool!

wrightdude likes this.
  11. big jilm

Man - this one does sound cool as all get out. Decisions!

Being germanium, does this fuzz act up behind a wah or a buffer or anything?

12. Mcentee2

Mcentee2 Member

Now, if you had asked "which only BA fuzz should I buy" then I can understand the many and long and varied replies, as that is *such* a difficult, or even impossible, question to answer.

However, you asked about your first.

Doesn't matter, buy the Scarab....then focus on how to fund your second, third, fourth..etc

I speak from experience....

fred_, SmallStones, johnetone and 2 others like this.
  13. Glitchy

Glitchy Member

I’ve got a Basic Audio Duplex incoming. Not a whole lot of clips out there but I have johns Futureman and it’s pure quality. Scarab deluxe is next on my list I think.

wrightdude, chankgeez and big jilm like this.
  14. big jilm

Lord, I am now confused again after listening to Orpheum clips. I am giving myself one hour to decide, then I am pulling the trigger.

15. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I have north of eight BA fuzzes, and while the Scarab is a solid pedal, it wouldn't be my first choice. It's more vanilla than a lot of BA fuzzes.

Currently I'm really enjoying the Super Fuzz, but the Zippy, Spooky Tooth, and Bye-Bias get a lot of play as well. I also really liked a friend's Orpheum and Duplex.

16. Mcentee2

Mcentee2 Member

If it helps, my experience is the Scarab is the "middle of the road" safe bet in the BA range.

It is "good", but not outstanding vs the other builds.

It does what it does - Silicon Tonebender Mkii - very well and there are probably none better built with attention to detail etc

But ... I wouldn't call it an "instrument".

The videos and clips from the TGP folks using the less obvious BA fuzzes show them to be truly inspirational to play.

I can't tell what speaks to you....but you will know.

FWIW- I started with a Gnarly, then a Scarab--like tonebender (admittedly not BA pedal itself), then had to have a Super, now got a Foxton in delivery, and just bought an Orpheum. That will have to do me for a while as I was just lucky with other sales and availability if if the BA pedals.

johnetone, wrightdude and big jilm like this.
  17. 0xeneye

0xeneye Member

My favs are Lucky Number and Spooky Tooth

big jilm likes this.
  18. kor

kor Member

I think the scarab is a wonderful place to start .Follow that up with the Zippy and then a Spooky Tooth. After that go any direction you want but I promise you that you'll want to at least try a dozen or more.

chankgeez and big jilm like this.
  19. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

I wish Basic Audio had been my first fuzz, because they ended up being my last.:aok

chankgeez and big jilm like this.
  20. big jilm

I play 70% of the time or more with an SG, 30% with a Tele if that makes a difference in recommendations.