Is there any way to contact, (or get the attention) of a current member whose inbox is full?

Discussion in '"How To" Tips for the new Software' started by JeffR, Dec 8, 2016.

1. JeffR

JeffR Supporting Member

Title says it all.... thanks

Edited to add..... the member doesn't log on frequently, or have any current posts I can reply to.

2. -CM-

-CM- Something Clever Here Silver Supporting Member

@JeffR Depending on how his alert preferences are set, I believe he will get an email if you reference him with @<username>

Test: @-CM-
    Result: this didn't work, but I think self-references might be ignored.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  3. JeffR

JeffR Supporting Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't sure of the correct syntax before your reply (thanks), however...

I have ALL my alert preferences set to alert and I didn't receive notification of you you referencing me. The only email I received was that you replied to my post.

Test... @-CM-

4. -CM-

-CM- Something Clever Here Silver Supporting Member

Same for me. I guess references don't generate emails, just alerts.

5. JeffR

JeffR Supporting Member

I didn't notice the actual alert itself, that should work. Hopefully he'll notice his alert the next time he logs on.
    I'll put his 'mention' in the last post he started here, Oct 2014. He has more current posts, but only as replies in other peoples threads. I don't want to jump into someones elses thread just to get his attention.
    Thanks

6. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

If he doesn't log on much the reply alert that you left would do just as much good as a private message. And a lot of people have email addresses here that are created just for that purpose, and they never actually look at them.

You can set your preferences to get an email whenever someone replies in thread you started, and if he chose that he'll get one. Unlikely I think, though.

7. JeffR

JeffR Supporting Member

I replied to the last thread he originated, and put his mention in the reply. Hopefully he'll either get a notification that I replied to his thread, (if email notifications go out for 2 year old threads) or notice the alert when he logs on. The last time he was logged in here was about 2 weeks ago.

8. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

you know, if you would actually mention his TGP-name in a thread-title --- here or in The Pub, or in any of the sections he might normally frequent --- someone might know him, and how to reach him..... or, they might be willing to reach out to him on your behalf.

like:
    "anyone know how to get in touch with Mr. Phillintheblank?"

9. JeffR

JeffR Supporting Member

Thanks for the suggestion @splatt, but it's not a big deal and I've probably done enough to get his attention when (if) he logs back on.

For the curious.....
    The member had a pedal for sale in the Emporium a couple months ago when he was still more active here. The ad expired during the time he was away. Just trying to get in touch with him to see if he still has it, and if it still might be for sale.
    Ahhhhh, GAS!
    Even more pathetic, I've already owned and sold the same pedal twice before. Damn GAS!