Is there anyone who plays pedal steel like Daniel Lanois?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by steinny, Mar 12, 2015.

1. steinny

steinny Member

I've recently become obsessed with his pedal steel playing -- there are a lot of great instrumental tracks on his "Belladonna" album, but this recent stuff is unbelievable (BTW, if you have ten minute and are remotely interested in the guitar I highly suggest watching the whole thing to the end -- Brian Blade is off the hook, and dig the bassist playing the Moog Taurus with his hands):

Is there anyone else who plays pedal steel in anything remotely resembling this style (not asking rhetorically)? I have no idea what to label it--ambient psychedelic, maybe? I suppose one criteria would be heavy use of delay/verb (although as I understand it Daniel only uses a vintage delay unit straight into his amps).

Any suggestions? I'd be particularly interested in hearing about instrumental albums.

alexanderplatz likes this.
  2. Captain Midnite

Captain Midnite Member

Maggie Bjorklund. Barry Sless.

3. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

His Rig Rundown youtube is well worth watching.

4. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

Thanks for that clip. (Brian Blade is amazing - saw him with Wayne Shorter two years ago - he's a small guy, but incredibly powerful.)

Greg Leisz plays a bit like that at times.

5. lowerlightsmusic

lowerlightsmusic Member

The Rig Rundown mentioned above is cool. Lanois uses a Korg SD3000 stereo delay. He runs one side to a 50s Tweed deluxe and the other to a vintage AC30. Part of his sound is the 15-20 db boost from the Korg unit into tube amps. He plays softly, but runs the amps super hot. He also uses his fingers to pluck the strings on PSG...no picks.

Lanois is cool. I think Greg Leisz is the shiznickel. That dude is amazing. He can do the atmospheric stuff ala Lanois, but also covers ground no one does. Both are awesome musicians in their own right.

6. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

OP,
    Thats a great video .. I am a Daniel Lanois fan as well, along with Greg Leisz.
    I would offer a third player, Paul Franklin Jr, who plays with Vince Gill.
    I have a DVD of him with "The Players" Live from Nashville. Frankiln does things on pedal steel that are simply amazing!

7. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

8. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

^^^Bruce Kaphan/Slider

9. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

Saw Lanois last night. Rocco Deluca opened (Lanois produced his last album.) I wasn't sure about getting there on time but I'm glad I did...Lanois played with him the whole set, mostly on pedal steel, while Rocco played lap steel. Totally different styles but their attack was very similar and, together, they were just wonderful. I want to say it was completely improvised. Regardless, the way they bobbed and weaved was beautiful. Long story short, if your still into Lanois' pedal steel style and want to take it to the next level, see if there are any current live clips of him and Rocco playing together.

10. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

Check out an album called "Slider" by Bruce Kaphan. Ambient Pedal Steel Guitar music. Bruce played with the American Music Club.

11. GerryJ

GerryJ Member