• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Is there anything as good as a '77-'82(ish) Ibanez neck?

Grenville

I've owned a few Ibanezes (Ibanezii?) in my time, LP copies, Rocket Roll Sr's, Destroyers, even a Roadstar II at one stage.

With the exception of the earliest LP copy, the necks on the Gibson-ish designs were perhaps the best of anything I've owned. Apparently the template was copied from a Gibson 335 designer Fritz Katoh once owned. The Fender-ish guitars I was less enamoured by.

So... I've looked at the idea of maybe putting together a parts guitar, but would love a neck like one of the old Ibanez style.

Does anyone have any idea of a company who makes such a thing, or would know what I was talking about or asking for? Would it be feasible in a Fender-scale length? Any clues?

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
Don't get me started.
My '79 Artist was THE guitar I never should have let go ("THANKS ex-fiancé....."). Nice yellow aging on the binding (probably due to the green 'fur' in the case). She's been gone 13yrs now, but one of the best playing and sounding guitars I've owned.

Black Blade

My first real guitar was a 1980 Ibanez PF 350 - a really nice Les Paul Custom copy that played and sounded great.

BADHAK

I had a 1980 Artist but I can't remember what the neck was like. I know i loved the guitar but it was stolen in the mid 80's.
I replaced it with a early 80's Roadster 2 that had a HUGE round neck.

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
Still have my first Ibanez Artist, an '82 AR 50. Love the neck. Also have an '80 AR 100 and an '82 AR500. Great necks all :)

Kmaz

Silver Supporting Member
I had a '78 or '79 Ibanez PF200 that I cut my teeth on. Had the Super 70's pickups and played nicely. Regretfully, I traded it in to buy a 57RI Strat, which is gone now too.

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
I had a '78 or '79 Ibanez PF200 that I cut my teeth on. Had the Super 70's pickups and played nicely. Regretfully, I traded it in to buy a 57RI Strat, which is gone now too.
Dude wish I would have known you wanted a PF200. I really needed to thin the herd and literally just gave mine to a friend at church 2 months ago. I figured it wasn't worth listing in the emporium, so had no idea if there would have been interest.

ThePenwellCrash

Gold Supporting Member
I've owned an '81 AS-50 and a '82 AS-100. Loved both of those necks. I prefer my '66 ES-330, but still concede that those were great necks!

I've had several late 70s and early 80s Blazers, and those are some of the best Strat-style necks I've ever played. I've still got an '81 Blazer with the maple fretboard neck, and it rivals any pre-CBS Fender neck I've played.

Grenville

So, does anyone have any idea if Warmoth, USACG or any of the others make a neck like the Gibson-ish designs Ibanez were making 1977-81 or so? I didn't like the Ibanez superstrats circa '84 onwards, and haven't kept up into the Vai/Satriani era and onward, so I don't know if even Ibanez revisited that neck shape again.

lemonpaul59

I've owned a few Ibanezes (Ibanezii?) in my time, LP copies, Rocket Roll Sr's, Destroyers, even a Roadstar II at one stage.

With the exception of the earliest LP copy, the necks on the Gibson-ish designs were perhaps the best of anything I've owned. Apparently the template was copied from a Gibson 335 designer Fritz Katoh once owned. The Fender-ish guitars I was less enamoured by.

So... I've looked at the idea of maybe putting together a parts guitar, but would love a neck like one of the old Ibanez style.

Does anyone have any idea of a company who makes such a thing, or would know what I was talking about or asking for? Would it be feasible in a Fender-scale length? Any clues?

I love my '81 GB-10 neck. George knew what he was doing.

jdogric12

Being a huge Mike Rutherford fan, I recently bought a '78 Ibanez 2622. Great guitar, just a little heavy. This thread makes me think I should give it another day in court before I sell it...

Trending Topics