• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Is there anything better than a Blues Jr. in terms of prize, size and volume?

I'm now zeroing in on a small, portable and decently loud amp for smaller gigs. AC10's and 15's were appealing to me before, but the 15 is a tad heavier than I'd want it to be and the AC10 doesn't really have the clean sound I'd want.

On the other hand, I keep reading about the BOSS Katanas on the board. I just heard a demo and it didn't sound bad, but I guess I'm inherently skeptical about solid state. The price is great though. Any thoughts for those who've gigged with them?

What do you guys think? What's your personal favorite that finds the middle ground between all these factors? The Blues Jr. is my current favorite, but I want to see what else I'm missing.

RR59CMS

Laugh if you want but I traded in my Blues Jr for a Bugera V22 and I am super happy with it. Stellar clean sound, nice reverb, and a pretty good looking package. They are called Deluxe reverb killers by some and believe me they got that right, easily twice the amp my Jr was. I picked it up new for $375, found a nice cover for$45 and man, I'm digging it.

Laugh if you want but I traded in my Blues Jr for a Bugera V22 and I am super happy with it. Stellar clean sound, nice reverb, and a pretty good looking package. They are called Deluxe reverb killers by some and believe me they got that right, easily twice the amp my Jr was. I picked it up new for $375, found a nice cover for$45 and man, I'm digging it.
Not gonna laugh since I've never heard of it, but 22w out of a 1x12 sounds good! So it's nice and loud? How's the weight? I just traded in my Deluxe for a Super Reverb, partially didn't dig the weight of the Deluxe considering the size.

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
I have used a Blues junior and pedals for quite a while I like that setup, it works fine. I recently just picked up the Katana 100 1x12 Combo and its a sweet little amp, big tone and as loud as you want or quiet with it's adjustable power levels. Definitely worth checking out, I still have the BJ but really enjoying the K100.

I have used a Blues junior and pedals for quite a while I like that setup, it works fine. I recently just picked up the Katana 100 1x12 Combo and its a sweet little amp, big tone and as loud as you want or quiet with it's adjustable power levels. Definitely worth checking out, I still have the BJ but really enjoying the K100.
That's encouraging. I've been looking at the 50 watt Katana model.

Remember, "solid state" and "digital modelling amp" are two different things.
Good catch. My mistake. I guess in general, I'd mostly prefer a valve amp but then again this would be something of a "beat around" amp so the reliability of non-valve amps might be desirable.

I actually used to gig with a Fender G-DEC modeling amp. I was okay with it until the interface suddenly decided it was going to load 50% of the time.

sg13

Yeah, there are many better options. Even the lowly super champ x2 has better tone and volume than the blues jr.

There's a thread on the Katanas I'll wade through eventually. Starting to wonder if maybe a 100w 1x12 version might be the best way to go. I like the idea of a 50w for smaller gigs, but it'd also be nice to have the added capability of playing even bigger ones in the same small package. But in terms of price, I'd be wading into Blues Junior territory...

RR59CMS

Not gonna laugh since I've never heard of it, but 22w out of a 1x12 sounds good! So it's nice and loud? How's the weight? I just traded in my Deluxe for a Super Reverb, partially didn't dig the weight of the Deluxe considering the size.
Its fairly heavy I'd guess right about 45/50 bounds. You can also run it at 1/2 power (switchable). Its probably about the same as a deluxe, that super sounds really heavy

Coldacre

for the price, I still don't think anything compares in tone to my AC15C1. a well broken in Greenback & some NOS 12AX7's.... crazy good tone.

sstweed

Silver Supporting Member
I didn't get along with the ac15 for some reason. I am really liking a new Bassbreaker 15 I picked up.

e???

Yeah, Pro Jr's sound a lot better than blues jr's by far. Or any super champ xd, those too.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I recommend the Bugera V22's to all my students... fantastic amp, period....

drpoyer

Silver Supporting Member
The Blues JR is, for me, a crappy sounding amp especially for live use. For the home its fine, but live I would rather play a Bandit. There are numerous amps mentioned and for the most part I would take any one of them over the JR.

my only suggestion is that 12' do better then 10's, most of the time, and the the bigger the cab the better.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
They're okay, but I've never played through one and thought, "Damn, I should pick one of these up!" So, if that was the back line amp at a gig I wouldn't be crestfallen, but that's about it.

The Blues JR is, for me, a crappy sounding amp especially for live use. For the home its fine, but live I would rather play a Bandit. There are numerous amps mentioned and for the most part I would take any one of them over the JR.

my only suggestion is that 12' do better then 10's, most of the time, and the the bigger the cab the better.
I'm not exactly in love with the tone, but I was impressed to see a guy play a Strat through one and get a huge SRV type tone on a mid-sized stage. Granted, it was mic-ed, but I was still impressed with how big and robust it sounded for the size.

I'd prefer a Princeton if it were half price.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom